Clear, Somewhat Thick/slimy Vomit....thoughts?

Guest ryeamans

Guest ryeamans

Hi all!

About 5 days ago, just a few minutes after eating dinner, my Charlie threw up about three times. However, even though his stomach was full, his vomit was completely clear and was kind of thick/slimy/mucousy. Maybe 10 minutes or so after dinner tonight, he did the same thing (just threw up once so far though and he seems fine now).

I would think that if the food had upset his tummy, then food would come up when he vomited, since he had JUST eaten, however, there wasn't even a mouse-sized crumb in it.

Could he have just had something stuck in his throat and this was his way of getting it out? It just seems strange to me, as I've had him for just about 3 years and this is the first time (that I remember, anyway) he's done this.

Anyone with a similar experience want to chime in? Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance for your comments!

Guest zombrie

Eating too fast? Is he drinking after eating? Maybe his tummy is full and he drinks and just spits it up? That's what Minerva does if she drinks too much at time

Guest ryeamans

No, he's a very slow eater doesn't drink a ton of water after. The stuff that came up was not thin like water. He basically isn't doing anything different in regards to his eating habits (and I've had him for three years).

I should say it's not immediately after eating. Maybe within 5-10 minutes.

That is odd, considering he just ate and no kibble (or even color from the kibble) is in the mucus. This makes me think that the mucus may be from the lungs instead of the GI tract. Might want to get an opinion from your vet (a phonecall might be sufficient). I have no ideas and haven't come across these symptoms before.

~Amanda

Hmmm Sunshine some times spits up a bit after eating. It's almost always a tiny bit of her food or water. I assume its an acid reflux issue... I wonder if that's your issue? The thick mucus would be enough to move us to the vet. Take a mucus sample! LOL

------

Jessica

That is odd, considering he just ate and no kibble (or even color from the kibble) is in the mucus. This makes me think that the mucus may be from the lungs instead of the GI tract.

This is what I was thinking too. If this happens literally minutes after eating, then there would be food in it if it was really vomit. I'm wondering if he's actually coughing or gagging secretions up from the respiratory tract. Can you try to get it on video?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest ryeamans

He ended up vomiting in the same manner 3 times throughout the evening, just like he did 5 days ago.

I give him a little dollop of peanut butter after he eats, since I give his "brother" (our other grey) medications in PB every night and I don't want him to get jealous ;) Do you think it could be maybe sometimes he gets a little bit of PB stuck in his throat and that's his body's reaction to trying to get it out?

That's the only thing I can think of, as there isn't one spec of food that comes out after he does it.

He seems fine today, and I haven't been giving him PB since it happened (except to lick it off my fingers after I've given some to his brother). I'm monitoring him closely, though.