Leaving Wet Kibble Out

Guest dougbb

Guest dougbb

Doug recently has been turning his nose up at his kibble. It's gotten to the point that it takes about 1-2 hours for him to finish his breakfast and dinner -- he'll ignore it for a good long while, then eat some, then ignore it for another half hour, etc.

My main question: I generally wet his kibble, which means that, after two hours sitting in the bowl, it has a sludge-y consistency. Should I worry about the soggy kibble going bad during that period?

I'm also of course curious about what is causing his disinterest in food -- in the five months we've had him, he's always been eager for mealtimes. He's been on Reconcile for a few months now, and we recently switched him to the generic (fluoxetine), but this behavior started several days before the switch. He's also been less enthused with bully sticks, which also started before the switch to the generic, but still enjoys peanut butter and little treats of cheese. We brush his teeth several times a week and haven't noticed sensitivity there, but who knows.

He's also had a bad hot spot on his tail for a while now, which he had been licking at when left alone (separation anxiety symptom) -- could it somehow be related to that? (We've treated the hot spot and it is healing, and are currently putting alone training on hold after this set-back.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, and his disinterest in it started when we were toward the end of a bag, so I don't believe it's the quality of the kibble.

Thanks!

Guest SoulsMom

Isn't that food recalled?

Whenever Soul (who has IBD) goes off his food it means he's relapsing. I start him on Flagyl and leave his food out for him for the morning then pick it up after a few hours and try again at dinner.

Try sprinkling some parm cheese on top. If he eats it then he's probably just bored with the food you are feeding him.

Sometimes mixing a touch of ketchup into the food gets their interest up. You could try smashing a sardine into the food. One of mine used to love cheerios - you could try putting some of that on top.

How much are you feeding him and how much does he weigh?