Limping - Pain In Toes

Tonight my 6 year old boy began limping. I did the impulsive thing and pushed different areas for pain, fearing Osteo. The pain is coming from his outermost toes on his right front paw. I intend to take him to the vet if this limp keeps up over the weekend (otherwise, he seems ok) but he snapped at me when I pressed his toes, so I'm extremely worried it might be more severe.

Anybody been through anything like this? I didn't see any thorns, webbing tears, etc.

Protective and overworried mum, out.

Edited by starhound

Limping worse on hard surfaces than on carpet/grass?

Look at his pads (muzzle him first) and watch for hard places on the pads. This might be corns.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Could he have broken a toe? Based on his reaction, it seems he is in pain and if you're going to look more, then muzzle him just in case. I know our Shelby has torn the webbing recently and it's painful for her based on the way she can't walk on it well and holds it up. It's slowly healing now but it's take a bit of time. Hope it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I thoroughly checked for torn webbing and hard spots, there's none... but it's just the outermost toe that seems to be hurting him a lot. Since it's the outermost I'm wondering if he got stepped on or knocked it.. but there's no swelling at all. Do broken toes typically have swelling? At least I managed to localize the pain to a toe... One of my bridge hounds was taken by Osteosarcoma (who has a very similar pedigree to Dewey) so I get paranoid about 'the big O' ...

No advice just sending good thoughts. Was Dewey running in the yard recently? Maybe pulled a toe when making a tight turn? Hope all goes well.

Hmm.. today less limping but some very slight swelling around the toe. Still some sensitivity when I put pressure on it, but no snapping at me like last night. Potential vet trip, or something that can ride out with time? When I got home from work he bounded around and did the happydance... so I'm guessing a broken toe would hinder such movement..

Edited by starhound

Guest snakes

Last week UPS, my girl, started limping all of a sudden, wouldn't put her rear leg down hardly at all. Her middle toes were the most sensitive of the whole leg. Since her brother/littermate has OS I was of course worried. Turns out it is Lyme disease. We did xray the leg/foor anyway just for my own peace of mind given our situation/my paranoia. She is on doxyxyxline now for a month. The limping is improving a bit with the doxy and some carprofen.

i knwo she has had ticks on her btu i got them all off within hours of beign outside, just unlucky i guess!