Rocky (Rock Hudson)

GreyTzu

Rocky came home in Sept of 2000, two months before Kevin and I got married. He was a pet store puppy, the oldest one in the store. We had always walked through the store in the mall and always petted the ‘Tzus. We had noticed one black and white Shih Tzu because of uneven size of his left eye. He always stood out and we remembered. As other puppies arrived and left, this puppy stayed and grew. One day on a whim, I made an offer on him. The gal and I went back and forth for a few rounds and I ended up bringing home a 6 month old Shih Tzu puppy on Saturday afternoon. The pet store closed on Monday. I always figured that the older puppies would have been euthanized, so I think Rocky was a rescue.

d9802294.jpg

I remember taking him from the mall to Petsmart to get him a collar. I put him in the shopping cart and headed in the store. As I was looking at collars, he was pooping through the cart. I glanced around, grabbed a collar and the dog and headed to the cashier. Yeah. I left the cart and poop on the floor. :lol Cleaning the floor was no problem, it was the cart I didn’t want to deal with. :rofl

IMG_5800.jpg

At the time, we had two greyhounds, Dancer and Dylan, and James Dean, also a Shih Tzu. JD was thrilled to have another dog his size in the house. The cats were non-pulsed at another dog, but Zena, Warrior Pussycat, made a point of making sure the little dog knew she was top cat.

IMG_5488.jpg

Kevin and I kicked around names for a few days. Since JD’s name had evolved into James Dean, we thought Rock Hudson was a perfect counter-point. Rocky was eventually registered as Diamond L’s Rock Hudson with some generic dog registrar. I can’t even remember the name, I think it was ACA or something like that. The “papers” never meant anything to us anyway. We had him neutered a few months later, so his “genetics” were of no importance anyway.

IMG_5585.jpg

Rocky fit well into our home and loved to play tuggie. He had the fiercest growl of any little dog ever. Swear to gosh, that if you heard Rocky growling at a tuggie without seeing him, you would think there was a 90 pound beast in the room.

IMG_5576.jpg

A few months later, Rocky welcomes two more greyhounds, Dixie and Donner, into our home. He was the perfect gentleman with two more big dogs invading his space. Everyone settled into our home and we melded into a family.

804kevdylrock.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

For a while we had an elastic cat toy hanging from the hall closet door. Zena never played with it, but Rocky loved it. He would grab it, pull and growl and let it go so it would bounce around and start the process all over again.

IMG_5701.jpg

No stuffie was ever safe with Rocky around. He was a hoarder and collector. Dixie loved stuffies also, but even she didn’t stand a chance with Rocky. It was pretty common to see Dixie grab a stuffie and drag Rocky down the hall as he tried to wrest it from her jaws. In reality, Dixie simply let him have it at the end of the hall. I think she just liked playing with Rocky.

804dixierocky.jpg

Rocky lived and loved with us through the passing of our first four greyhounds Dancer, Dixie, Dylan and Donner. He loved and missed James Dean when he crossed the bridge. He noticed as Zena and Aggadore went to the bridge. And he welcomed four new greyhounds, Disco, Dessie, Danger, and Deuce as they made their way into our home and hearts. He definitely spent time whipping the new dogs into shape. Rocky had no problem letting them know he was the real boss dog. And they loved him in return.

4e0492d0.jpg

d9802294.jpg

Last week, he started eating less, skipping meals and refusing treats. Thursday morning I noticed his breathing was becoming labored. I called our Vet and got him in that morning. He had developed a server heart murmur. We were referred to a Cardiac Vet at the local ER clinic. When we got to the clinic on Friday, he was coughing up blood. They immediately put him in an oxygen cage and started ATB’s. X-rays really showed that he had developed “stuff” in his lungs. Pneumonia was ruled out when he did not improve over night. Any time he was out of the oxygen, his breathing became labored. The Vet felt very strongly that he had cancer. This afternoon, we made the heartbreaking decision to send him to the bridge.

IMG_5682.jpg

It is the first time I have been ‘Tzu less in about 17 years. I miss him already. I find comfort in the thought the he is pain free and comfortable again. I know in my heart that Dixie is dragging him and stuffie around again. He really was the little rock in our home.

21c7d1a3.jpg

rocky-11-06.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was a special little guy.

Godspeed Rocky.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

I'm so soory for your loss of Rocky, a little guy with a big presence

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry. RIP Rocky.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry for your loss. He seemed to be quite a character.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Wendy- I am so very sorry.

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

I'm sorry for the Rocky-sized hole in your hearts. What a terrific little guy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest PhillyPups

Wendy,

I am so sorry for your loss of little Rocky. :bighug

Run with the angels Rocky, and keep em all in line, you are with the very very best ~

What a beautiful tribute, Wendy. I alternately cried and laughed and cried again reading his story. The name choice certainly proved to be more than a reference to a movie legend, as you referenced the metaphorical role he truly played in your home and lives - the solid 'Rock' that was ever present in your home. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. It is a comfort to know that he is not suffering, but heartbreaking to have him gone. Sending lots of love and hugs to you and Kevin.

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

I'm sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Rock Hudson :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Adrianne

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful little guy. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to him and send him on his way. It's such a tough gift to give. :f_white

My heart breaks for you and Kevin. With angels wings baby.....

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I'm so sorry Wendy and Kevin. I know you and the pups will miss him terribly. :grouphug

Godspeed Rocky

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh Wendy, I am so sorry for your loss. What wonderful memories you will have of your boy. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds