Second Hound - Need Your Advice!

Guest KatJon

Guest KatJon

We are currently in the works of adopting a new pal for Rhythm.... I was hoping to get input on everyone's experience adding a second dog. I have lots of questions and would really like to get some advice! We will of course, discuss with our adoption group as well, but I like hearing different people's opinions on this type of thing :)

• Muzzles - When should we muzzle them? Definitely when they are running in the yard together, and in the car (at least at first)... When else should we have their muzzles handy? Should we muzzle them while we're gone until they get used to each other? Rhythm gets a little bit anxious when we put the muzzle on him, because we had to muzzle him for a period when we left the house, to eliminate doorknob and crate chewing :(
  • Crate(s) - We have been crating Rhythm less and less, and he's been doing pretty well with it (as long as he can't see us outside). Are most people able to get rid of the crate after adding a second dog? The possible new girl we are looking at doesn't seem to be too attached to the crate. We really don't have space in the house for two crates... even having the one is annoying but do-able.
  • Feeding - I know some dogs have food aggression (Rhythm is pretty passive, but I guess it's possible). What about water? Can they share a water bowl, and then have two separate food bowls?
  • Other - obviously I will need to buy some pretty martingales for the new dog, and a jacket for winter months, but is there anything else we need to think about buying? Yes, I know I am over-thinking all this :crazy

I know most of this depends on the dogs' personalities, but I'd really like to hear your input and experiences!

Thanks! :)

Muzzles should be worn even in the house until you're comfortable that they aren't going to go after one another. Mine usually wear there's for a few hours until I see things are settling down. They then wear them outside, when we are away from the house and in the car in the beginning. When I feel things are settled and both dogs are doing well then I only muzzle when away and in the back yard.

I would keep a crate available to the new one (with the door open) so that she will have a "safe" place to go when she feels uncomfortable. If both dogs are doing well you can try and see how they both do out of the crate. If both are fine then you can probably get rid of the crate. If the new one needs a crate I would leave it up for her.

Feed in separate areas. I always do this because you never know when one is going to take exception to the other trying to taste what's in their bowl. It's just safer that way. Water bowls are different, they are used to sharing water at the track so that shouldn't be a problem.

It all depends on the personalities of the dogs. Some things go really smoothly and some times you hit a little bump in the road but most issues can be worked out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I can't answer your questions directly, but I can offer our experience.

When we brought Ben home we never put a muzzle on him or Bailey. We didn't muzzle when we brought Brooke home either. We never have to muzzle our dogs whether they are in the car, house or yard. They don't snark or growl at each other. Not everyone will agree and I'm sure others will respond differently.

We were told by our foster family that Ben loved his crate. After listening to him cry, we took it down...same with Brooke. We assembled it and showed it to her but she seemed afraid to go in. So we took it down after a few minutes because she preferred the pillows.

Ours not only can share a water bowl, they can also share a food bowl.

I've never had any difficulties adding a new pup to the pack. Basically, we just let them work it out such as what dog bed they want to lay on, etc. I've found that if one gives a low growl, the other backs off, so they are able to work out their issues without needing us to step in, but we're always there to prevent it from escalating (it never has). There's lots of posts with info about growling as a form of communication you may wish to search which will provide addtional info on behaviour issues. I'd search the training and behaviour threads...lots of good info there.

I may have totally different views than others, but our pups are very well-behaved and have always gotten along well. We only have 2 though, so our pack is small. I imagine the dynamics are quite different with larger packs.

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good Luck! It is so much fun to add another hound. We usually crate the newbie for a while when we leave, but . . . it all depends on the hound. Ziggy had to be crated the longest. He had SA in a big way. However, we didn't crate Dawson at all. He was the easiest hound to bring in the house. He is very easy going. We did muzzle all of them for a while when we were gone. We have never muzzled in the car.

Ask quesstions about your new dog before you take her home and feed her with Rhythm. We brought a dog home and fed them all together. He bit Ziggy's face and had to have emergency surgery to patch him up. It was our fault but I took him back. All 3 dogs had their own bowls with a food and water. We have a big water bowl that they all share, also.

Have fun getting ready for your new hound and remember, we need pictures!

We had lots of trouble for a couple months after bringing Brees home, and still have minor issues. We muzzled both whenever they were together for at least 2 weeks, and maybe closer to a month. Joe was pretty displeased about the "interloper" and got really cranky for awhile. My sweet boy who I could do anything to, at any time, starting growling at me when I got too close and he was in a funk. It wasn't fun. Poor guy was really stressed out, and I can't blame him. Brees is a pain in the neck!

Things have settled down a lot. They play nicely outside all the time, and sometimes start playing inside. They do guard toys and bones from each other, so we have to be careful about that. If Joe is cranky, Brees gets told off in a very scary way when she gets too close to him. He's never laid a tooth on her, but we do try to watch his moods and make her give him space when he needs it. On the other hand, they also sleep next to each other often and use each other as pillows. Last night Brees had her feet in Joe's face, started dreaming, and kicked him several times. No reaction from him at all.

They're good in the car together. I muzzle in the Taurus, because space is tight, but not in the minivan. Oddly enough, they often share a kibble dish. We try to discourage it, but find them in the kitchen eating out of the same bowl. That's never been a problem, which baffles me. I guess they know the kibble supply is endless, so there's no need to fight over it!

We crate her in the bedroom at night at when we leave. It's Joe's old crate, so it's huge for her. She likes it, and often puts herself to bed at night before we go upstairs. Joe is left uncrated, but confined to the bedroom. We're slobs, and the bedroom is the only room that's not likely to have tasty trash.

If I'd known how bad that first month was going to be, we might not have gotten a second (or gone with a different dog). Brees is young, hyper, and smart. She drives us all bananas. She's also super cuddly and always in a good mood. Joe was bored out of his mind before we added a second dog; he's not now! I do think that a large part of our problem is my tiny, cluttered house. With more space to "escape" Joe probably wouldn't have felt as uncomfortable at the start.

We have had our two for nearly eight months. We muzzle whenever we are not home - I think they'd be fine but it's just safer and avoids the chewing. Separate food, same water. We are careful as pk is more dominating and vocal. She is also more energetic in play. Brandi prefers to join us on the couch. We also have to watch for pk bullying Brandi with toys. Both are allowed on tbd furniture but no growling is allowed especially if I am paying attention to one of them. I need to be shared.

Otherwise, Brandi was very worried when pk arrived. She needed lots oc reassurance that we still loved her. :)

Just to add: we've never crated and our two knew each other before coming home. So our experience might be different. But bringing home number two was the best thing we ever did!

Guest HoundWorks

Great questions! We are just waiting to bring in our first grey as a friend to our whippet.

I am very nervous about the feeding time ritual. Dex has some food aggression problems, but it only shows up with certain dogs. He has no problems with the cat eating out of his food bowl. I'll definitely have to start out by feeding them in separate areas and see what they think of one another.

Guest BrianRke

I've always found it best to seperate them when feeding, seperate rooms or opposite ends of the room would be ideal. I stand there until mine are all finished just in case there is an incident.

We have no problems with using one water bucket (have found that a bucket is MUCH better with multiples and much less messy).

Personally I never muzzled mine, but I would advise others to do so, especially at first and when in a vehicle.

Good luck and congratulations on your new addition!!!

Guest SusanP

We have had 4 hounds at a time for about the last 10 years now, and what we usually do is muzzle when they meet (on leash and/or out in the yard), then let them in the house, still muzzled, then when things settle down, unmuzzle under direct supervision. We also usually do a neighborhood walk with the dogs together somewhere in there so they can bond a little and relax. We don't use the muzzles after that, but mainly because I've been able to arrange to be home with the dogs for a few days before leaving them alone, so I can see how it's going. We haven't had a crate since the first couple of months with our first hound--I think our second hound had the crate for a week before I got rid of them.

Now if you see signs of trouble between the dogs, that could change everything. Then I certainly would crate or muzzle longer. The worst we normally get is that some of our hounds have snarked at new dogs walking past their beds at night, when they're sleeping/falling asleep, though not usually during the day. Our old Zippy has done that every time a new dog joins the pack for awhile, until she gets to trust them. But luckily, she snarks without making actual tooth contact. Scares them all, though.

Guest KatJon

Thanks for the tips everyone! Our possible new dog is coming over for a visit tomorrow evening, so hopefully everything will work out!!

Muzzles should be worn even in the house until you're comfortable that they aren't going to go after one another. Mine usually wear there's for a few hours until I see things are settling down. They then wear them outside, when we are away from the house and in the car in the beginning. When I feel things are settled and both dogs are doing well then I only muzzle when away and in the back yard.

I would keep a crate available to the new one (with the door open) so that she will have a "safe" place to go when she feels uncomfortable. If both dogs are doing well you can try and see how they both do out of the crate. If both are fine then you can probably get rid of the crate. If the new one needs a crate I would leave it up for her.

Feed in separate areas. I always do this because you never know when one is going to take exception to the other trying to taste what's in their bowl. It's just safer that way. Water bowls are different, they are used to sharing water at the track so that shouldn't be a problem.

It all depends on the personalities of the dogs. Some things go really smoothly and some times you hit a little bump in the road but most issues can be worked out.

All of the above!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I added a third boy to my pack last month and he's blended in just great with my other two boys. Even though they all get along I still muzzle when I'm not home, always when they are in the yard and also in the car just in case. They are all fed in the kitchen with separate food and water bowls. I stay in there with them while they are eating to make sure no one gets into trouble.

Good luck with your new additon!

Guest Wpgkeith

We've had a 2 dog "pack" since Jan '09.

When we leave for work, Brogan goes into her kennel, but does not. Both are in our bedroom. Brogan is muzzled (she tried to chew out once???), Riley, not so much since his last dental - 6 weeks ago. Otherwise, even with one in a kennel, one free to roam, we muzzled. Better safe than sorry.

If they are playing in the yard, we watch...carefully. If we aren't going to, or they are hyper after having been inside, we muzzle. Better safe than sorry.

When we feed them, they are in separate sides of our breakfast nook....

Gives an example of a typical feeding.

Different dogs get along differently. Better to "over muzzle", than the alternative.

We've loved having 2 pups. Riley has thoroughly enjoyed having his bossy younger pack-sister around. ;)

:)

K

Edited by Wpgkeith