Ear Margin Dermatosis

Does anyone know anything about this? A few weeks ago I noticed Dare had a sore on his ear flap. I chalked it up to his running in the back yard and possibly Carmen nipped his ear. No biggie, but then took him to the vet and we cleaned it up and there were no bites. In fact when we cleaned it the hair all fell off and then we noticed more sores along the edged of his ear.

The vet did a skin scraping to rule out demodectic and sarcoptic mange. Those came back negative. We were sent home with cephalexin and some tresaderm.

In the last few days though it seems to have worsened. I've done some sleuthing on the net and found Dermatosis and have seen several photos that present almost identical to Dare's ears.

If you know anything about this can you tell me any information? Any way to clear it up? It isn't itchy to him but it is painful, he screams out if I touch the ear and he will shake his head very slowly and then scream :(.

I'll add a photo in a minute from my phone.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

14c8f98b.jpg

8c011e86.jpg

And if you look closely you will see that "pieces" of his ear are missing. It seems to be that when the scab or crusty part falls off it takes a piece of ear as well. :(

Yowch. I don't know anything about dermawhatsis, but I remember when my mom adopted a new dog, it turned out she had mange, and so I took Argos to the vet. The vet said it can be extremely difficult to get a positive test for mange, so she put him on a course of antiwormy stuff as a precaution. So maybe it could still be mange is what I say. Good luck and give sweet Dare a kiss from Auntie. :kiss2

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If it is mange, a dose of ivermectin will take care of it- but it would be more likely to be itchy and on the face than painful and on the ears. Poor guy...

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

ok so this might sound odd, but is there a smell?

Reason I ask is it looks like it might be a bit "yeasty"

Nothing going on on the inside of the ear? Just the outer edges?

Beth - it might be discoid lupus. I thought chilbains first, but you're in Texas. It's summer. Have your vet run a Coombs/ANA and see if there's something autoimmune going on.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

ok so this might sound odd, but is there a smell?

Reason I ask is it looks like it might be a bit "yeasty"

Nothing going on on the inside of the ear? Just the outer edges?

No smell at all. The vet even seemed a bit stumped. When you flake off some of the crusty parts it bleeds. He thoroughly checked the inside of the ears and there is nothing. He didn't have it at all when I picked him up, it just started about 2 weeks ago.

Beth - it might be discoid lupus. I thought chilbains first, but you're in Texas. It's summer. Have your vet run a Coombs/ANA and see if there's something autoimmune going on.

That is what the vet wants to do in 2 more weeks, he wants him to be on the cephalexin for 2 weeks and then recheck. He mentioned an autoimmune and also something else, I can't remember the name.

Poor fella. :( I've nothing to add that hadn't already been said. Is the skin on his nose normal? If not, that might support the lupus theory...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

The nose and face are perfect. Nothing else going on anywhere, just the one ear. :dunno

If you have a veterinary dermatologist in your area, it might be worth a consult. I agree it looks like ear margin dermatosis/seborrhea, and many cases respond to anti-seborrhea shampoos and topical products like Douxo Spot-on. Another possibility is vasculitis, and that is treated with an oral medication called pentoxyfylline +/- topical tacrolimus. These cases usually don't respond to just antibiotics, so especially if he's painful, I wouldn't wait 2 weeks before trying something else. The Douxo Spot-on would probably be the easiest thing to try first.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 8 years later...

My dog had the some problem and in summer it was worse. like a clean raw open wet wound that attracted flies all day and wouldn't heal. That is until my faith in the promise cannabis raw leaf paste could bring. it did take a few weeks to see great results but it was 100% free and natural and very effective...

Recipe:

one fresh raw cannabis leaf or a finger nail piece of bud.

And one human mouth 

Method: chow the leaf or bud in your mouth ro crush the leaf form form a paste to gel it.  slowly spit it out onto the dog ear and spread it completely of over the entire affecte area. and leave it to dry.

My dog always shakes it off  his ear and waistes it so I try to make the paste like a thick plaster and  distract him from doing so. Twice a day is good. A drop of oil mixed in with leaf helps improve the solubility of 

other theraputic herbs may also help. All i know is that cannabis has at least 100 theraputic compounds and each it a medicine on its own