Still With The Picky Eating

Guest aowam

Guest aowam

Still having issues with the pickiness. It's like every 3 weeks he decides that he doesn't like his food anymore and wants something else. In the beginning he'll eat the food with gusto, every last bit, but then by the end of week 3 he will sniff it then walk away and lay down with a great big sigh. His most recent food (Castor and Pollux Ultramix) was giving him some gas which may be uncomfortable to him (the only food that never gave him any gas at all was Iams simple & natural, but he got tired of that too).

So: I went to the local pet store where the lovely, helpful people gave me a bunch of samples and suggestions. He really seemed to like Lotus (a baked dog food) and Orijen fish (which smells to high heaven). I'd rather not go raw, though I have a feeling this pup would absolutely adore it. My question: is there anything wrong with feeding the 36% protein that Orijen offers? Why is it that the recommended protein amount lies in the mid 20% range? Or does it matter for greyhounds?