Enalapril To Wrong Dog!

So Violet just accidentally got one of my boarders Enalapril pills (20 mg each). Should I make her vomit or do you think it's okay to just let it go? I'd really rather not make her vomit unless it could be dangerous. I can call Poison Control, but wanted to see if anyone here already knows. Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I checked and the dose is supposedly .25mg/lb one time per day which would be 15 mg for Violet and the pill is 20 mg.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You're sure she just got one pill? If so, I'd not sweat it. When Chancy was on enalapril, my vet joked that it was so safe, they should just put it in the public water supply. :lol

(that was a JOKE)

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

You're sure she just got one pill? If so, I'd not sweat it. When Chancy was on enalapril, he joked that it was so safe, they should just put it in the public water supply. :lol

(that was a JOKE)

Yeah, it was definitely only one pill. He gets his pills wrapped in lunch meat and I stupidly let Violet swoop in as I was giving it to him. I managed to grab it out of her mouth, but it was sans pill. :( I'm a freaking idiot.

I called the emergency hospital (duh) and they said it's okay, just make sure she has access to plenty of water. Awesome, since the dog the medication is for has kidney disease and drinks the bowl dry constantly. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'll figure out a way to make sure she has access to water and just keep an eye on her. But if anyone has ever done this and wants to reassure me, please feel free. :P

She might be slow and even a bit wobbly for awhile. If you have stairs in your home, I'd make sure she can't get to them unless you're with her.

I would make her vomit. Was not happy with effect of more than a tiny dose for my angel Zema.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She might be slow and even a bit wobbly for awhile. If you have stairs in your home, I'd make sure she can't get to them unless you're with her.

I would make her vomit. Was not happy with effect of more than a tiny dose for my angel Zema.

Well crap, I waited to feed her dinner until I talked to the ER and have since fed her, 1 lb of salmon. :unsure

Well, it's not liable to harm her, especially since she's a young, strong, active dog with a belly full of fish! Just, keep a little bit of an eye on her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, it's not liable to harm her, especially since she's a young, strong, active dog with a belly full of fish! Just, keep a little bit of an eye on her.

Okay, thanks. And thanks for the stairs suggestion - I babygated off the stairs out of my condo and will leave that up all night and I'll be more careful about getting her out for her late night pee. Will probably just take her separately in case she's wobbly as we've got 4 dogs here right now and it's a bit tricky to get them all down the stairs together.

Didn't mean to frighten. Chances are she'll be her same self and you'll never know if she really swallowed it or it rolled away under the cupboards. Sounds like others have not had my (Zema's) experience.

I'm sorry you're freaked out Jen. Should I tell you about how she ate a bottle of prenatal vitamins at my house and was totally fine? She didn't but I will tell you she did so you're less scared.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest madredhare

My Tom takes enalapril for blood pressure due to kidney disease. I know more than one dog has accidentally gotten one of his pills. I have never noticed any side effects. I usually put Tom's in a bit of canned food. Problem is, he is such a finicky eater. So trying to watch 3-4 food dishes at once is kind of hard.

And my Chancy was on Enalapril for several months and I never noticed any side effects at all. Just my experience...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I'm sorry you're freaked out Jen. Should I tell you about how she ate a bottle of prenatal vitamins at my house and was totally fine? She didn't but I will tell you she did so you're less scared.

:lol Thanks for this.

Jey, sadly, no rolling under cupboards, she definitely ate it. Or I guess there's a chance Mason got a double dose, but I checked the turkey once I pulled it out of her mouth. :dunno

Yeah, I'm going to quit revealing what an idiot I am. Have not been feeling well today and was just trying to get everyone their different foods and cocktail mixes of medications. 4 dogs and 1 cat, all but one on meds and each getting a different food and me feeling like crap was not a good combo tonight.

Christie is so very helpful. :lol

Always. :P

Don't sweat it Jen...I think any of us that have multiple dogs on different meds have made that mistake once or twice. From everyone's experience here it sounds like she'll be fine :) hope you feel better soon yourself!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

How is Violet this morning? My bridge boy got one of my Enapril pills(20mg) & even with forcing him to up chuck,which didn't work, I had to rush him to the vet. Shad was a very small, about 40 lbs, boy & when I got him to the vet his BP had dropped to almost nothing.

Hope Violet is doing well this morning. :)

When Steak was on so many pills he would just eat them up with his kibble. One day as I was tossing them into the bowl Blu ran over and caught one mid drop! I panicked a bit and then smiled because I thought for once maybe he would catch a side effect and be calm. :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Beth :lol

How is Violet this morning? My bridge boy got one of my Enapril pills(20mg) & even with forcing him to up chuck,which didn't work, I had to rush him to the vet. Shad was a very small, about 40 lbs, boy & when I got him to the vet his BP had dropped to almost nothing.

She's fine, thank you for asking. She slept in bed with me until I woke up around 6 am, which allowed me to sleep instead of lay awake worrying and when we got up she had no signs of any ill effects so I think we're in the clear. Glad I didn't read your story until this morning as I was worried enough. ;) But I'm sorry you had to deal with that with Shad. :(

Guest cwholsin

Glad your gal is fine! Dogs seem to be pretty resilient. About a month ago, Nash went hunting for inappropriate things to eat to soothe separation anxiety and munched 700 mg of zoloft that hadn't made it into the correct drawer yet eek.gif

The e-vet had said that it wasn't really a toxic dose for a boy his size, he had quite a bender coming off the meds but his vitals never wavered and he was completely fine once the drug had left his system. After he was better it was kind of funny that he chowed anxiety medication when he was anxious. He got the dosing wrong-- but more is always better according to dogs tongue.gif