Vitamins For Dandruff?

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Not sure if this belongs in health and medical or here because it's dietary.

Sonny is black. He has dandruff. What can I give him? I tried fish oil for about a month now but no change. Any suggestions?

Guest Melissa516

We give Fred & Ginger melatonin. It helps with their coats and their dandruff seems better too. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

A month isn't long enough, and you may not be getting the proper blend of Omega fatty acids--

I'm sure some expert on the proper ratio and amount will chime in! My dog has flaky skin too--but he's a brindle so it doesn't bother me. They have naturally dry skin.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Yankeegreyhound

A month isn't long enough, and you may not be getting the proper blend of Omega fatty acids--

I'm sure some expert on the proper ratio and amount will chime in! My dog has flaky skin too--but he's a brindle so it doesn't bother me. They have naturally dry skin.

Oh really?? I'll keep going then. I may add the melatonin too.

My girls were/are red and red and white so when they have flakes, it's not noticable either!

Add a capsule of over-the-counter fish oil daily. Some of the dandruff is stress; after all he is still very new.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My boy has a black coat, too. When I got him he had flakes which really showed up because of his color. I have given him salmon oil on occasion, and also rotate his food with fish based ingredients. What seems to have worked best, though, is brushing him every day. I use the rubber type brush (Zoom Groom by Kong) so it is gentle, but it seems to help stimulate his own oil production and he is pretty much flake-free and has a beautiful shiny coat.

He also really enjoys his groom-time.

We also feed fish oil every couple of days, but they're on TOTW Pacific Stream anyhow. What also helps with us is making sure that the bedding for them is clean and that they aren't rugged for too long (less a problem for you there). Rolling around on the carpet also seems to help! It's worse at the change of season and moulting as well, and when PK first arrived, the shedding for the first month also contributed.

Black dogs will always show more dander than other colors. Stress will show up quicker on them - Meet & Greets, yelling, a new situation - whatever that dog's stressors are will cause the dander.

Grooming too much will cause the dander to show, IMO. Greyhounds only need baths twice a year, if that. I like to bathe them when the seasons change so I easily get rid of the old hair. I do not brush my dogs hardly ever, but they get petted a lot.

New dogs will shed and show dander more until their bodies get used to the new food, and their minds the new environment. Every dog is a bit different, but this can take months.

What goes into the dog shows up in the skin and hair - so:

- Food - a high quality food is important. I prefer raw feeding, but a kibble without grain is also better.

- Omega 3/6 oils. I like Grizzly Salmon Oil. BUT you need to give 3000 mgs a day of any fish oil. With Grizzly it is three pumps.

- High quality vitamins[ can help, particularly initially because of the lack of care prior to a home

I'll be at Grapehounds - VA, this weekend, giving three talks about greyhounds should anyone be in the area and want to drink some wine and have a good time!

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

I agree with the posts above. Shedding is not always diet related, it can be stress related, shedding related (right now is shedding season here) or can take a while to get rid of with a new dog. Having said that, a good overall diet and some supplements may help as well. There are a lot of vitamins and minerals that are really important for skin health...especially things like zinc, B-vitamins, etc. It can be dangerous to overdose with zinc, but foods like oysters have the highest amount of any food. I always feed the canned oysters (they are usually smoked, so I rinse the oil off a bit to tone them down!) once a week or so, and they are a great supplement :)

Stress and maybe even pain could cause dandruff. My Bella got a pencil size stick puntured in her foot webbing last week, and poor girl was shaking so bad...a lady had pulled it out. But the dandruff on her was insane after that event.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg