Paw Pads Turning Pink

I am curious as to why Maggie-Mae's paw pads are all turning pink and super smooth? They used to be black and rough. I did a google search and couldn't come up with any good info as to why.

Any particular reason why? It's a very pale pink.

Thanks for any help. :)

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

This may sound obvious but was there a change of walking surface? When I moved, we went from walking on the grass to walking on cement almost exclusively. Freddy had some pink in the middle of his pads for the first month and they became quite smooth, especially on the warmer days. Now we use Musher's Secret to prevent any pad damage and the stuff seems to be working fairly well.

I've noticed that with Kasey too, and I honestly am not sure why. I've been monitoring it for a while, and a couple of the pads are nearly "worn" for lack of a better term. We didn't have a change of walking surface either. I wonder if it's an age thing....interesting that another person has noticed the same thing!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

This may sound obvious but was there a change of walking surface? When I moved, we went from walking on the grass to walking on cement almost exclusively. Freddy had some pink in the middle of his pads for the first month and they became quite smooth, especially on the warmer days. Now we use Musher's Secret to prevent any pad damage and the stuff seems to be working fairly well.

She seems to want to walk on the grass on the edge of the sidewalk and not the sidewalk itself....but I do not know if this is because her pads are sensitive or the walking on the grass has turned her pads pink?

Also, she no longer has access to any grass in our backyard..only cement and pea gravel. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? The other hounds pads are fine.

I've noticed that with Kasey too, and I honestly am not sure why. I've been monitoring it for a while, and a couple of the pads are nearly "worn" for lack of a better term. We didn't have a change of walking surface either. I wonder if it's an age thing....interesting that another person has noticed the same thing!

I wondered if it is age related too because Maggie will be 10 this month.

Did I mention she is a tripod?

Suzie Collins

It is about the pads getting worn from walking or the rough surface. All dogs who get walked or go on hard surfaces have pink spots on their pads. If they're all really pink it suggests the backyard is pretty abrasive. And as a tripod she's got relatively more weight on each of her legs, too.

Musher's Secret isn't a bad idea. But FWIW my girl hates pea gravel and I'd never make her spend a lot of time on it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

It is about the pads getting worn from walking or the rough surface. All dogs who get walked or go on hard surfaces have pink spots on their pads. If they're all really pink it suggests the backyard is pretty abrasive. And as a tripod she's got relatively more weight on each of her legs, too.

Musher's Secret isn't a bad idea. But FWIW my girl hates pea gravel and I'd never make her spend a lot of time on it.

Really, you are actually going to go there and tell me I make her spend a lot of time on the pea gravel... FYI she goes out, does her business and goes back to the luxurious beds I have set up outside for the hounds.

If what you say that ALL dogs that get walked on hard surfaces have pink pads then why do all 3 of my other greyhounds NOT have pink pads???

This is where they spend their time...

248996_10150193098206653_527976652_7460445_71404_n.jpg

Suzie Collins

Guest Liz_in_PA

Dang! they have an umbrella, too? Dash wants to come to your house.

I wonder if it's related to being a tripod. I'm sure that changed her gait.

Dang! they have an umbrella, too? Dash wants to come to your house.

I wonder if it's related to being a tripod. I'm sure that changed her gait.

Tell Dash we have an extra bed for him ;)

I would say it's related to being a tripod but she has been a tripod for 3 years and 5 months...why all of a sudden the change? That's why I don't know if that is the reason.

Suzie Collins

Could it be a reaction to fertilizer and chemicals along your walking route?

Our neighborhood is loaded with lawn service trucks spraying crap everywhere. We will be wiping paws after every walk from now until Winter returns because of it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It's comes from being to sexy for her toes! Maggie-Mae is just too sexy for black pads. ;)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****