Shelby Has Been At The Vets For Over A Day Now

Oh darn it all. Still praying for your sweet girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IHeartDogs

I am so sorry... Sending tons of thoughts and prayers for healing. Come on sweet Shelby, get well and come home.

I hope they were able to get clean margins...

:grouphug

Poor Lynn, it must be hard not having you there with her.

Oh no, I can't believe this is all piling on like it is.

I have some amicar, too (15 500mg tablets), but it sounds like you have closer options. If you need to, though, contact me and I'll get it to you asap.

I am so hoping they get the bleeding under control tonight, and then you can start to focus on the other issues.

You are all in my thoughts.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hang in there Shelby honey :grouphug Kyle and Lynn :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Amicar is hard to come by in this town!! I was able to get some and met Lynn tonight with 4 days supply. She's been driving and driving - poor girl - and should be at the vet now giving Shelby the meds. I believe she's also springing Shelby overnight so hopefully she'll be more comfortable and improve at home. This family has been hit hard with greyhound trauma recently. Let's all keep praying for them!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Thank you everyone. Two angels from GT have provided us with Amicar and we are honoured by their generosity. Lynn is bringing Shelby home tonight as she has been at the vet too long and she really does better at home. Hopefully the Amicar starts to help as right now Shelby needs to be back with her pack and resting.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I have nothing to add that can help, but please know that you, your wife and Shelby are in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sending more prayers for your girl. I'm so sorry for what your family has had to endure recently.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Amicar is hard to come by in this town!! I was able to get some and met Lynn tonight with 4 days supply. She's been driving and driving - poor girl - and should be at the vet now giving Shelby the meds. I believe she's also springing Shelby overnight so hopefully she'll be more comfortable and improve at home. This family has been hit hard with greyhound trauma recently. Let's all keep praying for them!

You're great Derek Lot's of prayers and healing thoughts heading a bit south.

Thank you everyone. Two angels from GT have provided us with Amicar and we are honoured by their generosity. Lynn is bringing Shelby home tonight as she has been at the vet too long and she really does better at home. Hopefully the Amicar starts to help as right now Shelby needs to be back with her pack and resting.

Times like this I look for that Like button. Lynn and Shelby will be happier with her home. Come on now Shelby fight!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest cwholsin

Shelby is definitely in our prayers! Lots of healing love and light being sent to your sweet brave girl right now :candle:hope

Edited by cwholsin

Guest azlorenz

You're great Derek Lot's of prayers and healing thoughts heading a bit south.

Derek you are AWESOME!!!!!

Times like this I look for that Like button. Lynn and Shelby will be happier with her home. Come on now Shelby fight!

Ditto about the Like button Janet!!!

Shelby honey you have tons of people in your corner. Fight little girl. :hope:hope:hope

Guest lotsogreysmom

I'm very surprised a vet would do this surgery on an old girl. We just sent our Destiny to the bridge tonight because the vet said they would not do surgery on a girl her age and she was 12.5 yrs old. I think it's a lot to put them through this old. Enjoy your time with her.

Whether or not to do surgery on an old dog is a very personal decision that also depends on the individual dog's overall health status. As one of my vet school instructors said, "age is not a disease." Anesthetic risk depends more on health status than age, and the main reason older dogs tend to be at higher anesthetic risk is because they are more likely to have other health problems. If the dog is otherwise healthy (assessed on a thorough physical exam, bloodwork, +/- x-rays), surgery may be a very reasonable option. My job is to present all the options to the owner, but they are the ones who make the ultimate decision.

I have a client who decided to pursue treatment for a primary lung tumor aggressively in a 17-year-old cat. Took her to the referral center, did surgery to remove the affected lung lobe, followed up with chemo, and the cat is still doing well now, 18 months later. On the flip side, there is nothing wrong with choosing palliative care and not pursuing expensive, advanced treatment. Each case, and everyone's individual situation, is different, and there are no right or wrong answers. We just all try to make the best decision for our pets given the information we have at the time.

Sorry for the hijack. Sending good things for Shelby that things start looking up. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg