Water Additives

Guest poopsie1

Guest poopsie1

Does anyone use Oxyfresh or Biotene water additives for their hounds? Both of my guys are having problems with their teeth. I've started brushing every day and have been using the Healthy Mouth additive but at $180.00 per bottle it doesn't seem to be living up to it's hype. Also, any advice on anything else I should be using? I have the Petzlife Gel and spray but have stopped using them now that I'm brushing. Can either of them be used in conjunction with the brushing? Thanks for the help!!

Anne-Marie

Edited by poopsie1

I also tried Healthy Mouth and didn't think all that much of it. I haven't tried anything else so I'll be interested in what other people say. As to the PetzLife Gel... I use it as toothpaste and brush with it. I like the result! Summer didn't need a dental this spring. If I can find a water additive that WORKS, I'd be thrilled!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest snakes

I've used the biotene water additive with good results, my pups weren't too fond of the flavor it gave the water though, i had to do a few days with the additive and a few days without.

It tends to make the water 'icky' fairly quickly so if you use it I generally only used enough to the amount of water my pups use in half a day so as to cut down on waste. I had to wash the water bowl every few days too.

Unless you're starting with a full on dental at the vet, I doubt any additive is going to be particularly useful.

They might help PREVENT gunky teeth, but they're not going to cure them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest poopsie1

Their teeth have been scaled and most of the tartar has been removed. It is, however, starting to build up again and I want to discourage that. My vet does not feel anything further is necessary at this time. I have heard the additives are beneficial and I went ahead and ordered the Oxyfresh since my understanding is it's a step above the other products out there. Thanks,

I have used Oxyfresh for awhile, and ran out a couple of months ago. I have noticed Jack's breath getting worse, but that could also be because he's not had a dental since 12/09. At his check up last fall, the vet said his teeth were okay, that he didn't need a dental yet.

I agree with Susan--always best to start with a dental.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.