Doolin Being Overdosed With Doxycycline?

Guest zombrie

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Now I'm concerned because it made me realize that Agnes, who started Doxy for a high Lyme reading just yesterday, is on a really low dose :( I kind of wondered but have been pre-occupied by the collapse of our local animal shelter and didn't sit down to calculate... She is 74 pounds and so should have 370 mg twice a day -- she's only getting 300 total.... okay on the phone in the morning. Under dosing is NOT good in the long run.

Oh wait that was 5 mg per kg --- I am way too sleepy to calculate kg to pounds right now.... will do in morning....

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Now I'm concerned because it made me realize that Agnes, who started Doxy for a high Lyme reading just yesterday, is on a really low dose :( I kind of wondered but have been pre-occupied by the collapse of our local animal shelter and didn't sit down to calculate... She is 74 pounds and so should have 370 mg twice a day -- she's only getting 300 total.... okay on the phone in the morning. Under dosing is NOT good in the long run.

Oh wait that was 5 mg per kg --- I am way too sleepy to calculate kg to pounds right now.... will do in morning....

If your dosing a 74lb dog at 5mg/kg it's 168mg

Glad Dooling seems better. My 60 girl got 250 mg BID for Lyme & my 70 lb male got 300 mg BID for Lyme. That was dosed at approx 10mg/kg which, I believe, is a standard recommendation for Anaplasmosis. Perhaps upper level of normal dose but that could be old info. Thankfully not something I've had to learn yet.

My male had no obvious side effects from the doxy. My girl though has trouble stomaching doxy but her blood work did not indicate any change in liver enzymes. Only gave it with meals & when her appetite started to disappear I switched to giving it immediately after meals otherwise she'd have doxy in her sys with little or no food making her very nauseous. Acid reducers & carafate helped with nausea but had no effect on her vanished appetite. Finally we started giving her a half dose of metoclopramide (Reglan). That did the trick. So she stayed on acid reducer & Reglan for the rest of the month. End of problems. Blessedly it seems it was also the end of her Lyme disease.

Get well soon, Doolin.