Does A "dip" In The Back Mean A Spine Problem?

Guest cwalliser

No, that's part of normal greyhound anatomy. You can probably see it more clearly on some greys than others, depending on the shape of their back. It is related (in ways others can probably explain better) to the very flexible sighthound spine, which is part of what enables them to run so fast.

Here's Beth -- I assume you see on her the same mid-back dip you see on Faith.

downsized_0412121753a.jpg

Welcome to GreyTalk and to greyhound ownership!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Very normal. Though even some vets who are not familiar with greyhound specific anatomy can be mislead by it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest cwalliser

Thanks so much for the replies ... since I'm a new "mom" to a Grey, I guess I worry too much.... :rolleyes:

Here's Summit:

IMG_6665.jpg

Thanks for all the replies... Since I'm a new "mom" to a Grey, I guess I worry too much... :rolleyes: I have a doxie hound also and they are so funny together!! In love w/the Greys now!!

Thanks for all the replies... Since I'm a new "mom" to a Grey, I guess I worry too much... :rolleyes: I have a doxie hound also and they are so funny together!! In love w/the Greys now!! I hope to post a beautiful photo like all of yours soon.

Guest twoskinnydogs

The "dip" is a natural curve in their spine, it allows for the double suspension gallop wihch makes our greyt babies so fast :colgate

Congratulations on your adoption of Faith. I hope you enjoy many colorful adventures and years together. :heart

My hounds' chiropractor refers to that area as the "thoraco-lumbar junction." Where the thoracic and lumbar vertebrae meet and are distinguished. I can't argue with her as I am not a chiropractor - but if you look at a cheetah they have the same "dip" which allows them (like greyhounds) to outrun the rest of the animal universe.

I think as hounds age and musculo-skeletal integrity begins to deteriorate, some dogs may appear to sag a little more than others (like a tired old nag!).

Again, good luck with you new baby girl!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest KennelMom

Perfectly normal - that's where the jockeys used to sit :eek:lol

Well,, there did used to be monkey jockeys! I want a tattoo of a monkey jockey on a greyhound :lol

Edited by KennelMom