Licking The Crate Bars?

Guest newgreymombeth

Guest newgreymombeth

I ran out this morning to get a few things and I crated Bo, as I typically do when I am gone. When I came back, he was licking the bars of his crate. It was so odd...

Does anyone know what this behavior means? It seems to me like some type of stress behavior or anxiety. He doesn't whine, drool, or pee/poo in his crate when I'm gone. But this crate licking thing is boggling my mind. He does have a kong in there with PB that he had already cleaned out (he does this amazingly fast, even when I freeze it) and a few stuffies. Perhaps he's bored and under stimulated? We do take walks, but maybe he needs more?

Guest SusanP

One of my hounds loves to lick metal. When DH is working on a fix-it project, Spinner will get all excited and chase him down the hall and lunge for the hammers or whatever. Drives DD nuts until he give him a tool, and then Spinner lies there in a state of bliss, licking the tool for the next 20 minutes or so. I've occasionally wondered if the metal can do him any harm, but I suppose it's possible other dogs enjoy this, too? Spinner will also lick the metal parts on his collar (He doesn't wear it indoors, but he steals it and licks it when he can).

My whippet sometimes licks the crate bars in the car when we're at lure coursing events. I think it's because of stress and frustration at having to wait his turn to run.

What was the rest of Bo's body language saying about his state of mind while he was licking the bars?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Of course he's bored! Not a lot to do in the crate besides sleep! If he was otherwise calm, I wouldn't worry about it. Could be as simple as some peanut butter on the bars.

I have found, despite what folks on GT recommend, that freezing peanut butter in the Kong makes it EASIER to get out, not harder. It gets solid, and it breaks if the dog drops it and comes out in big chunks. Try just refridgerating it instead.

As folks say, a tired dog is a happy dog, particularly if he's going into the crate. So if you CAN, more exercise is never a bad thing!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We have an Airedale who licks everything. Carpet, wood, the bedspread, the glass door to the yard. For him, I believe its somewhat of an attention seeking behavior, though he'll continue after walks or after we've played with him so maybe he's just strange.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)