Bella Ann (8/9/2000 - 4/9/2012)

Jester

Bella passed away on Monday. I'm not sure that I can call it sudden because she was diagnosed with a terminal illness last year, but she was such a strong dog I don't think I would have ever been ready for it.

The story of Bella's Life

When we adopted Maisy, we quickly realized that she was just a great dog. I looked into her history and found that one of her 10 littermates, Bella Ann, was still racing. We used to watch her races (she raced at Hinsdale) online and realized that we would like to adopt her. I called her owner and chatted with the wife for awhile. I found out that they had whelped Maisy and Bella's litter at their house and the puppies lived with them and their infant in their house until they were weaned at 12 weeks (can you imagine a litter of TEN puppies in your kitchen?!). She eventually told me that they planned to breed her because she was a good racer. I asked her to keep my contact info and let me know when she was done breeding because we would like to adopt her. I hung up the phone and not 2 minutes later the husband called me back. I will never forget that conversation:

Me: Hello?

Owner: You want Bella Ann? (THICK New England accent)

Me: Uh, yes, we'd like to adopt her when she's done racing and you are done bree--

Owner: I want to get out of the business. It's been a nice run, but I don't really want to raise another litter of puppies. I don't know what my wife is thinking. I'll retire her now and you come get her.

Me: uh... uh... OK, but she's racing really well and I don't want to take money from you. I can wait until she retires.

Owner: That's fine too. I'll call her trainer and let him know.

A few months later at 730 in the morning her trainer called us. I'll never forget that conversation, either:

Me: Hello?

Trainer (his name was Wayne Wright, how funny is that?!): You wanted Bella Ann, right?

Me: YES! When she retires.

Trainer: Well, she's retired. She raced this week and just isn't having fun anymore. She used to be so excited and now she's just "ho hum." We figured we'd retire her before she gets hurt or something since she has a place to go. Would you like to meet me somewhere this weekend?

Me: Uh, sure! Let me talk to my husband and get everything set up and call you back.

It took my husband and I about 30 seconds to decide to call in to to work for two days and just drive to New Hampshire to get her. It took a lot of coordination because the track she raced for required all dogs to go through their adoption program which sent ALL of the dogs to groups in Canada. They would not give her to GEGR. The only other way for dogs to leave were to be on trucks going to other tracks or the breeding kennel, or for their owners to check them out. Luckily Bella's owners lived near Hinsdale and agreed to meet us there. We caused quite a stir driving into the kennel area with our van covered in Greyhound Rescue stickers. They were watching us from the tower and sent a security guard down to see what was going on. He yelled at the trainer telling him he couldn't give the dog to us. Wayne looked that guard in the eye and said he was giving her to her owner and walked right out of the compound and handed the leash to the owner saying over his shoulder, "I can't influence her choices for her dog after that" and the owner instantly handed the leash to me. The security guard was so flustered, but he really couldn't do anything. We introduced the dogs and I swear Maisy took one sniff and said, "of all my littermates, WHY did you pick HER?!"

Bella being brought out by her trainer

7074472687_94f8f7e2a4.jpg

At that moment, I realized that we really didn't have a well thought out plan here. We were staying in a hotel with no crate with three greyhounds that didn't know each other. I have no excuse for that, we had probably fostered a dozen or so dogs by then and really did know better. We got to the hotel and settled our stuff in and the brought Bella in. As soon as i took her leash off she jumped onto one of the beds and then leapt across to the other one. Then she saw the mirror above the dresser and jumped from the bed across the dresser to get to the dog on the other side. She was so shocked when she saw the nose print! To say that first bight was an adventure would be an understatement. But. we all survived and made it home.

At the hotel

6928392466_cd7a972008.jpg

6928392492_db1f706c25.jpg

Over time, Maisy and Bella grew to like each other and really did have a strong bond with each other. They had such different personalities but they were both just incredibly wonderful, sweet, friendly, kid loving dogs.

From Bella, I learned what "small animal hostile" really meant! We were at a meet and greet and I knew Bella wasn't good with small animals so I had her plastered to my leg while I was talking to an interested person. A lady walked in with a toy poodle on a flexible lead paying no attention whatsoever. The poodle ran right up to Bella and jumped up into her mouth. I swear I couldn't make this up! Bella was so shocked and excited! I screamed and pried the poodle out while the owner stood there embarrassed and mumbled that she was sorry.

Bella was fearless and incredibly intelligent. It was a pleasure having had her as part of my family. I feel such an intense loss knowing she won't be there to chatter at me and run her face through my hair, snuffling my face (Bella kisses were very hard to come by) anymore.

The story of Bella's passing

I traveled to California on Monday and when I got off the plane and called home to check in, I found out my stepdaughter had rushed Bella to the vet because she suddenly couldn't move her back end. I immediately called a close friend, and God bless her she dropped everything and went to the vet to find out what was going on. They conferenced me in and we decided to see if steroids would help. My friend offered to take Bella home and care for her because my stepdaughter and husband couldn't. While within a few hours Bella was able to stand on her own, but a few hours after that she passed away. I think she had nothing left after fighting her illness for so long.

It made it so much "easier" to handle knowing that friends were there for me and for Bella. I don't think I can express the depth of feeling I have for them as friends. I got more than a dog when I adopted from GEGR; I got some of the most incredible friendships; people who have meant as much if not more to me than my family. I don't think a Thank You is adequate, but I don't know what really is, so all I can say is Thank You.

Some pictures:

We call this pose "flat dog" She would always lay so absolutely flat that you could barely see her lol.gif

7074472415_7068f36544.jpg

Always on alert:

7074472107_188ec6499e.jpg

6928391970_8b579c7bcd.jpg

Runnning on the track at the Wonderland Pet Expo:

7074472129_b016edcc8d.jpg

7074472169_c462dfe34a.jpg

All my girls. I can't believe they are all gone sad.gif

6928391518_344283003b.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Bella.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Dee, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Bella.

Run free Bella, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Dee.....sounds like you have a lot of wonderful memories...sorry she had to leave too soon....

:bighug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beauty.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

She was so lovely, and such a character. I'm sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Bella Ann.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry hardly begins to cover it. I can only imagine how incredibly hard this has been for you all week. Thank you for sharing that wonderful tribute. You went through a lot to get her and gave her a fantastic home.

:(:grouphug:f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).