Sign in to follow this  
NeylasMom

Gh Photography Thread

Thanks, I will.

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jan, I think I remember you saying you had a Canon, this is my main lens that I use:

http://www.henrys.com/58450-SIGMA-OS-17-70MM-DC-2-8-4-CANON-HSM-LENS.aspx

You are more than welcome to borrow it for a couple days.

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Steve, what lens are you using at the retirement days?

Getting nervous here, as a part of my fundraising, I will be going to Nittany Greyhounds and try to get decent pictures of about 12 owners and their dogs.

Think I am freaking out.

Not sure what lens I have I could use best.

Having fosters and Heyokha come over did help me practice

Steve, what lens are you using at the retirement days?

Getting nervous here, as a part of my fundraising, I will be going to Nittany Greyhounds and try to get decent pictures of about 12 owners and their dogs.

Think I am freaking out.

Not sure what lens I have I could use best.

Having fosters and Heyokha come over did help me practice

would you believe i use my 50mm f/1.8 a lot on the retirement days lately? i love its sharpness and contrast. plus, if you want sunstars in your pictures, the straight-bladed diaphragm will do that when you stop it down.

then, it's a toss-up between my 18-200mm, the 10-24mm, and 70-200mm vr. the 18-200 is great for its range of focal lengths but sometimes it's a little too slow (especially at the 200mm end where it's a f/5.6) and the depth of field is too much for my taste. the 10-24mm is great when i want to get in the middle of things (like when the dogs are getting out of the hauler, getting bathed, etc.). the 70-200mm is great when i really want to stay with using f/2.8, or when i need to stand away from stressed pups because of its appearance.

the 50mm on my camera (and yours) is like a 75mm lens on a full-frame camera, so it's just a bit under what would be considered a short telephoto. i also have a 105 f/2.8 macro that's very sharp; i need an excuse to start using it, too.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here in ages and ages... I love this photography thread.

I've been a fan of galgomum's photography for some time, and love the terrific shots posted here.

To chime in a bit late, I've been using pic monkey lots lately - it's easier to use than picnik was, but has the exact processing tools. I have a feeling the good stuff won't be free for long.

I also invested in radlab's filter package. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. It saves a ton of time post processing, and works as part of filters on photoshop.

Anyone know of a place to have good quality cards printed, in bigger amounts without breaking the bank?

The VistaPrint quality is not what I am looking for.

Check out http://us.moo.com/ - I've seen their cards in person, and they are good quality.

Life with Leo the greyhound and Daisy the puggle.

Guest BillF

I was hired by a friend this weekend to take some pictures of her new rescue Afghans. And by hired I mean "plied with liquor". Here are some of the better ones.

Bill

7444160994_fec22ca2cd_z.jpg

7444161056_89b91996d8_z.jpg

7444161166_90f9969bde_z.jpg

7444161250_fd584929e4_z.jpg

Aww, love the afghans. :wub:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Love the reflection picture. (and the afghans too :wub: )

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Kelly, welcome back, haven't seen you here for a long time.

Thanks Steve, I don't have what you have there, except for the 50mm.

I will bring that, have a 18-135 mm also that I've been using a lot recently and the 70-300mm.

Those are some great models Bill.

Went to the racetrack today.. I'm quite happy with the result. I think this one is one my favorites of today. Will post more tomorrow.

facebook2.jpg

Edited by AnneGTS

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

rmv62c.jpg

Fundraiser for the Greyhounds in Ireland: click here!

ha! so i ordered a light stand, umbrella adapter, and shoot-through umbrella to experiment with.

let's see how badly i can fail. :D

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

Digging up the thread.

Steve, how are you doing with the light set?

Anne, I am shocked, where's the rain in those pictures? Didn't think you guys had one dry day this summer.

Love the picture though.

I'm in a dip, a big one.

Seems my brain dried out with the heat and I have no inspiration left.

Doesn't help that it has been too hot to take the dogs out and Lehto has been behaving like a brat recently.

I do not feel like picking up the camera. And this is the first time ever this happened to me

Missed another of Lehto's weekly pictures and am even thinking about stopping the project all together after 3.5 years.

Any one else been having this problem and gotten through it?

Oh and I do make the occasional picture, with our foster I have to give him the exposure.

In this one, a bit too much exposure, but I think it worked out nice.

7629396160_344eff15f4_z.jpg

over-exposed by Peet64, on Flickr

I am taking raw photos now (not sure if that's the right terminology) and using manual function only. However, all of my photos are blurry now. does anyone know why other than I'm moving. I tuck my elbows in to my sides and hold my breath while taking the pic, but they still turn out blurry. I also downloaded Nikon Capture NX so I can view my raw photos and edit them. I really suck at editing too.

I really suck at photography but since I enjoy it, I;ll continue to practice.

Petra, if writers get writer's block, maybe you have photographer's block. Perhaps you just need a break. I have to admit, this summer has been very hot but I personally like the heat. However, I have been around enough people who can't take it and they are really miserable. Perhaps it's a combination of stuff going on in your life such as lack of motivation, guilt, heat, etc. It sounds like you need to be less hard on yourself, acknowledge your feelings as just feelings, no judgements such as good or bad feelings, surrender to them rather than feel guilty, push them away, etc. take a deep breath, and then try to find something else you enjoy in the meantime.

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Petra, do you want to watch Skye while I'm at Grapehounds? :gmark She can tire Lehto out and you will have a new subject (she's a very good one ;) ) to inspire you.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Petra, do you want to watch Skye while I'm at Grapehounds? :gmark She can tire Lehto out and you will have a new subject (she's a very good one ;) ) to inspire you.

LOL, I wish, but I'll be working, selling and talking at Grapehounds.

Maybe next time?

But I wouldn't mind getting her picture if you bring her along.

Edited by galgomum

Maybe next time?

Would love that if I do. I posted that before I realized you were going by the way. Wasn't trying to pawn her off on you at the event. :P

Maybe next time?

Would love that if I do. I posted that before I realized you were going by the way. Wasn't trying to pawn her off on you at the event. :P

You'll just have to come over at some point and bring her so they can play in the backyard

Steve, how are you doing with the light set?

well, it arrived last week and i have yet to take everything out of their respective boxes. for the past few days tooey, one of our cats, has taken to sleeping on the chair that the boxes rest on, and i hate to disturb him.

everyone (and i mean, everyone who photographs) goes through dry spells. don't sweat it. i tell you that sometimes i come across something that i think i'd love to photograph, but instead i'll just enjoy looking.

I am taking raw photos now (not sure if that's the right terminology) and using manual function only. However, all of my photos are blurry now. does anyone know why other than I'm moving. I tuck my elbows in to my sides and hold my breath while taking the pic, but they still turn out blurry. I also downloaded Nikon Capture NX so I can view my raw photos and edit them. I really suck at editing too.

i'm guessing your shutter speed is too slow for whatever it is you're trying to photograph. your picture contains data (shutter speed used, aperture used, ISO used, etc.) that you can review if you don't remember what you used on that particular picture. use a faster shutter speed (and possibly raise the ISO), assuming you leave the aperture setting alone.

I've been in a photo dry spell for a few months. Once we hit the 100's (like in late April and it stays til Oct. :lol ) the dogs and myself go into a heat hibernation. The only pics I have been taking lately is new hounds that have come into the adoption group for our website. I miss getting out and about. Thank goodness I have a decent yard for the hounds to play if they get off the beds. :lol

Hang in there, the dry spell will pass. I find the more I try to find some shooting stuff, the more it doesn't show. I now have the habit of taking the camera with me just about everywhere coz ya just never know

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

You'll just have to come over at some point and bring her so they can play in the backyard

:nod Would love to do that. Do you know how far (driving time) apart we actually live?

:nod Would love to do that. Do you know how far (driving time) apart we actually live?

Just under 2 hours according to Mapquest, easy drive though, its all highway.

And I usually make sure people don't starve :)

Edited by galgomum

Guest BillF

It's been hot here also (I'm in Alabama). We've had to get up early on the weekends when it's just 80 instead of 95 degrees :)

Here are a couple from last weekend.

7633119446_13c0640a40_z.jpg

7633119740_95f96b3b79_z.jpg

7633120554_320118005b_z.jpg

7633119872_c3741f9ae8_z.jpg

7633120790_4c670d9ab7_z.jpg

Petra, I know the feeling. That happened to me a while ago to.. But slowly I'm getting more excited to photograph again.

Bill, great pictures!

Question: Who has an external flash? Do you use it a lot?

I rarely use my internal flash but I'd like to try to get "studio-like" pictures.. I'd love to buy a cheap studio set (found some on amazon) but it's all so expensive in the Netherlands.. Just a cheap background system I would already cost me about $100. And I don't want to take the risk to buy an expensive set and don't use it later..

Anyone know if an external flash and a background system will do the trick for now? Will there be enough light to use indoors and get a nice picture with smooth background, instead of hard shadows?

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

rmv62c.jpg

Fundraiser for the Greyhounds in Ireland: click here!