Healing Small Wounds/cuts

Guest Roadtripper

Guest Roadtripper

Hi all! I'm new here, just put my intro up, and my first (of many) questions is how to heal small wounds, cuts, nicks on a greyhound, especially on the face.

I adopted my 6 mos old puppy, Cairo, just a few weeks ago, and she already has 2 small nicks on her cute face. One from a week ago while playing at doggie daycare (where I work) with another playful mouthy puppy. And tonight she has another from who knows what. The one from a week ago isn't infected or raw, but not healing as fast as I thought it would, and now with a 2nd nick, I'm now realizing how true the reports on "thin grey skin" are. I would like to find something to help keep these from scaring, if possible, but that's still safe to use near her eyes. Ideas for general small wound care on the body is also welcome, since I'm sure I'll run into that with her seeing how mischevious and active she is.

Also, my other dog, Boojum (greyhound/german shepherd mix) had surgery last week to remove 2 lumps on his side and back, and they also removed a mole near his eye. The lump incisions are healing nicely and he'll get the staples out next week--maybe at that time I'll look into putting something on them to help them heal further (the vet has told me to just leave them alone for now & make sure they stay clean). But where they removed his mole by his eye, it's not healing. He keeps rubbing off the scab & then it's left raw again. No signs of infection though.

Any ideas?

Amy, Boojum, & Cairo

Aloe Vera helps, either as Vetzyme Ointment or use the sap directly squeezed from a cut Aloe Vera leaf. I find it speeds graunlation by a couple of days and helps reduce itching towrds the latter part of the healing process. For leg wounds I cut the toes off small childrens socks and tape with micropore tape.

Greys do have paper-thin skin so they're best not allowed free in wooded areas with undergrowth, fields with ANY barbed wire, and not recomended to play with nippy dogs. You need an all-purpose dog like a GSD with a sensible coat for a rough and tumble lifestyle.

Refer back to your vet over that facial mole surgery.

Colloidal silver spray would be my choice for the face.

Agreed.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Usually I just clean small cuts with cooled boiled water with a bit of salt dissolved in it. I find they heal faster if they are then left exposed to the air - so long as they're not somewhere that can be licked, that is! If they are stubborn about healing, try dressing them with manuka honey.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Roadtripper

I love the Yunnan Baiyao Powder. It has amazing clotting and healing propertiesLink to powder

Just dab some on the wound and it will stop bleeding and start healing.

Thanks for including an Amazon link! This looks interesting & it's inexpensive. I just added it to my cart.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions as well. I've never heard of colloidal silver or the manuka honey, but after discovering turmeric for myself and Boojum, I think there's a lot of missed potential in natural remedies. I may just do an experiment on myself and my pups to see which of these work best for us.

Does anyone have a favorite product on Amazon for the silver or honey (or other remedy suggestion)? I did a search on both & got a little overwhelmed by the options (especially with the silver).

Thanks again,

Amy

I'm in Ontario and get my CS from a person up here, so I don't have any advice on what is available on Amazon.

I have it in liquid form, which just sprays on....right now Ruby has a huge wound on her ear and she doesn't want us to touch it, so the spray is good for that

I also have plain CS gel as well as a CG/Aloe mixture gel.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Does anyone have a favorite product on Amazon for the silver or honey (or other remedy suggestion)? I did a search on both & got a little overwhelmed by the options (especially with the silver).

Thanks again,

Amy

I've gotten CS from my vet--probably not a great price, but easy. Honey I would use any decent quality local stuff, I would imagine.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I also got colloidal silver from my vet. It was called silver sulfadiazine (sort of a cream/ointment). As above, it was probably much more expensive that way, but I didn't have time to shop (it was for a bad infection), and this way I didn't have to worry about whether I was buying some inferior quality product.

I know a lot of people who love EMT Gel (also comes in a spray). I find that Twiggy loves the taste of it (smells horrible), so it just promotes wound-licking when I use it on her; but I don't hear of other dogs who like it. (Twiggy is just special that way, it seems!)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

For manuka honey, the higher the UMF rating the better - 10 is the minimum worth bothering with.

As someone else said, if you are lucky enough to be able to buy a good-quality local honey that would be an alternative - as I understand it, the thinking behind that is that honey from local flowers will stimulate the immune responses appropriate to that particular environment.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Another vote for colloidal silver, it's really marvelous and simple to apply on any kind of wound. The manuka honey is really the most useful on things like deep cuts and abscesses when you want to clear up an infection. It's not as simple to use, as you need to apply it thickly and then cover it for best results (it's drippy and sticky as you would expect honey to be), whereas the silver, you just spray and go. Your local health food store should have a brand of silver that will work, 10 PPM is fine, and we prefer the Ionic or electrically isolated silver, as it can be used internally as well. The silver proteins, not so much.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Roadtripper

Thanks everyone! I just picked up some CS at a local healthfood store--your posts helped me decide what to buy. They didn't carry spray, but my dogs let me handle them, so I'll see how the dropper works for us. I'll probably pick up some of the other products suggested to add to my first aid kit.

Hopefully I can get Cairo's nicks on her pretty face to heal up/disappear. I guess I know how my sister/sisters-in-law feel now when their toddlers always have a new scrape or bruise.

Happy Easter to all,

Amy, Booj, & Cairo (aka Scarface)

Guest twoskinnydogs

I use colloidal silver, it has proven itself in our house! Silver in general is safe and effective, it is used in human medicine also...Good Luck!