Pee Pads And "attractant" In Them?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

The main store I get my dog food at seems only to carry puppy pee pads that have "a strong attractant in them".

Aleeya seems to be peeing some nights/mornings (not sure when, likely early morning before she can be walked). We're testing her up and down for a variety of potential culprits... but in the meantime, DH doesn't want to keep having to clean the floor in the kitchen before work.

My issue is: she doesn't pee every night, and we also have Haka, who we don't think is peeing (but is the same age). I don't want anything to encourage him to think this is a new, cool, idea.

So do I keep looking to find pee pads (we're not doing diapers, b/c she's not wetting her beds, or peeing in multiple spots) that don't have attractant-- or do we think that adult dogs won't pay attention to that?

thanks,

Soren

Guest Trammell

My two iggies use pee pads, but my greyhound doesn't, when the greyhound did have an accident she didn't do it on the pads. Obviously, every dog is different, but I don't have an issue, and mine have the attractant. Good luck with your baby...,oh and pads can have run off so DH may be mopping, just not as much

I use the washable pads, like the ones they use under human patients in the hospital. Works beautifully. I have 2 older girls and they can't always wait until I get home if I'm gone. Started off using them with my Cali and the other girls just seemed to take to them naturally when they needed them. They very rarely miss a pad and get the carpet. When they use them, I just toss them in the washer. I got mine on Ebay. Love em!

Guest BassoonMo

We use those puppy pads for our yorkie, who has the world's smallest bladder. We've never had a problem with the greyhounds wanting to pee on them.

Guest sorenkkg

Interesting idea, about the human pads! where do you get those-- store or internet?

and thanks for the experiences with the puppy pads-- sounds like they might be ok too (re: runoff--some have a tray? not sure how much I want to invest in this.... sigh).

Guest Trammell

Interesting idea, about the human pads! where do you get those-- store or internet?

and thanks for the experiences with the puppy pads-- sounds like they might be ok too (re: runoff--some have a tray? not sure how much I want to invest in this.... sigh).

The human ones sounds like a great idea, and are probably more absorbent. I made litter boxes out of large plastic storage containers to prevent run-off (and wall splatter...Kingston likes to lift his leg). For travel I purchased the Martha Stewart puppy pad holder from Petsmart; it prevents run off because it has slightly raised edges.

I doubt the attractant will be an issue for your other dog (why would it be if the actual pee isn't), but I agree that reusable human pads are ideal, both for financial and environmental reasons. I bought quite a few on ebay (new) for a good price. You have to be a little careful about the material. I posted a link to the ones I liked the best in a thread in H&M. If you search for "incontinence" in H&M you may find it. It wasn't my thread, but someone was having issues with their dog. Hope you guys are able to identify the source of the problem soon. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest auforygirl

I like the potty patch. it has grass on top and I tell people to put a potty pad (the absorbent ones you are talking about) so as the pee has a place to go and the dog tends to get grass=potty area pretty well. If it is in only one place just put this there the tray will also contain all of the pee so no mopping.

I got my pee pads (human) on the 'net, but you can get them at any medical supply store and a lot of large drug stores. I have two--one is large and one is medium. I keep them together and on the few occasions they've been used, they work really well!

I also use some disposable pads which I tape down to the crate pan (plastic) that I took out of the crate. That also seems like it'll work, although he's never used the paper pads!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sorenkkg

Just a funny update:

Aleeya peed 1 time after not peeing for a while-- we can't figure out why she's doing this, so I asked DH to get some pads (i.e I just gave up trying to figure it out. if it's not medical, well, whatevs).

We put the pad down about a week ago, maybe 5 days.... and she's not peed since.

Now, both of them have sniffed the pad, sat/laid down on it, walked on it (its in front of the back doors) so there's little muddy foot prints... But no one has peed on it!

I'm sure if I get a little throw rug to replace the one we threw out-- THAT she would pee on! :P

anyway, no news is good news, I guess.

Soren

Guest Trammell

Just a funny update:

Aleeya peed 1 time after not peeing for a while-- we can't figure out why she's doing this, so I asked DH to get some pads (i.e I just gave up trying to figure it out. if it's not medical, well, whatevs).

We put the pad down about a week ago, maybe 5 days.... and she's not peed since.

Now, both of them have sniffed the pad, sat/laid down on it, walked on it (its in front of the back doors) so there's little muddy foot prints... But no one has peed on it!

I'm sure if I get a little throw rug to replace the one we threw out-- THAT she would pee on! :P

anyway, no news is good news, I guess.

Soren

That is good news :) hopefully she is all done with it!

Given the chance (and when i wasnt watching when training) mine the definitely wanted to pee on my rug, guess it feels more like grass?

Edited bc my iPhone thinks its cute to change my words!

Edited by Trammell

• 3 years later...

I have three rescue iggies. They all use washable wee wee pads while I'm at work. I walk them twice a day, less in winter. To my shock and dismay I was turned down from adopting a greyhound bc the woman that runs the organization is afraid the greyhound will use them and become non housebroken. I would never do that. If anything happened to me no one would want a large non house broken dog. I suggested I close off the room with a raised gate so my iggies could pass under it... She said the keen sense of smell would cause the greyhound to urinate in the house. I have a friend that is a dog walker and she will take the dog out while I'm at work and will be crated until I am comfortable with the dog being alone with my dogs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will a greyhound become u housebroken by the smell of wee wee pads? Other organization don't even check references. I'm honest with my situation.

Hattie sometimes has accidents if not available to take her outside straightaway, she has peed on my sofa's too (rather embarrassing taking the cushions to laundrette but good can wash them even if expensive). I'm actually thinking of putting those incontinence bed sheets under the sofa throws now and getting smaller one for floor

Currently when I go out I tend to leave a towel on floor as she'll usually choose that , its laminate & easy to mop up but pee tends to run under furniture due to unlevel floor. The 2 boys that are loose never pee in same place & wait to go out so not sure it does encourage others to go indoors once trained. Try another greyhound group maybe they'll view it differently as does seem little narrow minded.

Hattie has been checked for UTI & vet suggested with being spayed bitch she may have some bladder control loss which medication may help. Its not a constant issue so could be behavioral but will probably give meds a try to see if it helps.

Edited by moofie