Please Help, Grey Ate Stick Of Butter

My grey ate a stick of butter. Is this enough to give her pancreatitis or make her sick? Is there any way I can help her?

It was sweet cream butter, salted, 1/4 of a pound stick. Is this enough to make her sick?

I'm a nervous wreck! :cry1

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

If she *just* ate it, you could give her some hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit it back up. But, unless she's prone to pancreatitis, she'll probably be fine -- perhaps some runny poop tomorrow is all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she *just* ate it, you could give her some hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit it back up. But, unless she's prone to pancreatitis, she'll probably be fine -- perhaps some runny poop tomorrow is all.

:nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I've done this before, but it's been awhile. How much should I give?

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

@ 1/4 cup (2-4 tablespoons). Do it outside or on the linoleum. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She's not the first. See here for a similar thread (just half a stick that time).

One of the posts has a link about pancreatitis, in case you'll feel better if you read up on that.

One teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of dog. (Although that site says to consult your vet first.) And you can repeat the dose once if the first time isn't successful in a few minutes. (My suggestion: Take her outside before you give her the peroxide. That stuff usually works fast.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Be aware that peroxide can cause lots of stomach issues. I suggest giving something like pepsid or zantac or prilosec after the dog vomits, and then once or twice a day for a couple of days after. I had to make my dog vomit once, used the half strength peroxide and 6 hours later she was vomiting blood. OTC prilosec fixed her, but it scared the heck out of me.

She's not the first. See here for a similar thread (just half a stick that time).

One of the posts has a link about pancreatitis, in case you'll feel better if you read up on that.

One teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of dog. (Although that site says to consult your vet first.) And you can repeat the dose once if the first time isn't successful in a few minutes. (My suggestion: Take her outside before you give her the peroxide. That stuff usually works fast.)

Whew, thank you, it worked! I actually had gone out to the car to get some Bizy Bones that each one was going to get while we ate supper. I didn't get supper so no one is getting Bizy Bones now. :P She still went over to the counter when she came in kitchen right after :puke in the yard! :wacko:

Thank you all, I will write these instructions down and thanks for the pancreatitis link. I'm having trouble opening it on my laptop, but will read in a bit on my other computer.

Hope we have a calm rest of the night!

Be aware that peroxide can cause lots of stomach issues. I suggest giving something like pepsid or zantac or prilosec after the dog vomits, and then once or twice a day for a couple of days after. I had to make my dog vomit once, used the half strength peroxide and 6 hours later she was vomiting blood. OTC prilosec fixed her, but it scared the heck out of me.

Oh no, just saw this! I think I have some Pepcid a/c and Zantac, but it may be expired. (It was from Peanut and Kony)

Oh no, just saw this! I think I have some Pepcid a/c and Zantac, but it may be expired. (It was from Peanut and Kony)

If you used the regular strength peroxide, it's usually about 3 percent. While peroxide is itself toxic, you're giving a very mild dose--that the dog will vomit. Hair-bleaching peroxide is a much higher percentage and is dangerous. If you don't have pepcid, just give a bit of bread or something so she'll have something on her stomach.

Of course, that means she'll be having bread to go with her butter...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Most dogs don't have a problem with hydrogen peroxide, but the potential exists for GI irritation even with the regular 3% solution. I've had to use it for Willow a few times, and usually just watch her closely after. I think the very first time I used it, I was paranoid and gave her Pepcid for a few days, but when she was fine, I didn't worry too much about it the following times.

I've only seen 1 dog vomit blood after getting regular hydrogen peroxide, and it was a lab puppy that belonged to a vet tech. If your Pepcid AC or Zantac is not expired more than 6-12 months, it's probably fine. Even if it's expired more than that, it won't hurt, just might not be effective.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Bootsy has eaten lots of butter. It's one of his favorite counter surfing discoveries. I wish I had seen this earlier. I would have said not to worry. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

If you used the regular strength peroxide, it's usually about 3 percent. While peroxide is itself toxic, you're giving a very mild dose--that the dog will vomit. Hair-bleaching peroxide is a much higher percentage and is dangerous. If you don't have pepcid, just give a bit of bread or something so she'll have something on her stomach.

Of course, that means she'll be having bread to go with her butter...

Bread & butter :lol More like bread and water, like criminals get. ;)

I have some Activia I may give her - she's sleeping sounding in crate (but has collar on) and I want to remove so I need to wake her up - don't like collars in crates.

Most dogs don't have a problem with hydrogen peroxide, but the potential exists for GI irritation even with the regular 3% solution. I've had to use it for Willow a few times, and usually just watch her closely after. I think the very first time I used it, I was paranoid and gave her Pepcid for a few days, but when she was fine, I didn't worry too much about it the following times.

I've only seen 1 dog vomit blood after getting regular hydrogen peroxide, and it was a lab puppy that belonged to a vet tech. If your Pepcid AC or Zantac is not expired more than 6-12 months, it's probably fine. Even if it's expired more than that, it won't hurt, just might not be effective.

It was regualr hydrogen peroxide - since she's resting peacefully, I think I'll just give her some Activia for her belly since she's going to want a bedtime treat when I wake her.

Bootsy has eaten lots of butter. It's one of his favorite counter surfing discoveries. I wish I had seen this earlier. I would have said not to worry. :)

Sure wish you would of seen this! :wife:lol

Bootsy is the spittin' image of my Callie, in your avatar and banner. :inlove

Edited by brindlebaby

dogs eat wierd things. butter is benign and i wouldn't think about having her puke it up, it's not toxic and loose stools- maybe will be the worst event. save the peroxide for a real emergency- bloat! and just remember that dogs eat anything they can and hone up on cleaning up after eating.

i had a dog that every christmas orniment(chocolate foil wrapped stars) on a tree, she opened the fridge and cleaned it out, consumed and shelled a 5#bag of fresh roasted peanuts and never showed any signs of distress and lived to 14! i though it was a room-mate being a pig leaving piles of shelled nuts on the floor :lol

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It wouldn't even cross my mind to worry. My dogs are garbage disposals :lol and they get bacon grease, butter, etc. *shrugs* Hope it all turns out good!

If it's any consolation, in addition to probably a pound or more of butter in his lifetime, Bootsy has also eaten: a chicken carcass (cooked), half of a skirt steak, cooked, which he swallowed whole because I caught him in the act and was screaming at him, a TIN CAN of sardines, which he chewed through and licked clean (not so much as a scratch in his mouth), a loaf of raisin bread, a box of raisins, numerous diapers, and a partridge in a pear tree. He has never even gotten a bout of diarrhea. :rolleyes:

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Well, Beth nearly did get acute pancreatitis from being given some extra fish oil, so I think the OP was right to be concerned, though it seems everything is OK so far. I don't think a "history" of pancreatitis is required; there's always a first time in any history.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

:clap

If it's any consolation, in addition to probably a pound or more of butter in his lifetime, Bootsy has also eaten: a chicken carcass (cooked), half of a skirt steak, cooked, which he swallowed whole because I caught him in the act and was screaming at him, a TIN CAN of sardines, which he chewed through and licked clean (not so much as a scratch in his mouth), a loaf of raisin bread, a box of raisins, numerous diapers, and a partridge in a pear tree. He has never even gotten a bout of diarrhea.

:banana:banana:banana

now that's my kind of garbage hound...gotta love it!

dogs eat wierd things. butter is benign and i wouldn't think about having her puke it up, it's not toxic and loose stools- maybe will be the worst event. save the peroxide for a real emergency- bloat!

While in most cases butter would qualify as benign, I believe the concern about pancreatitis is a real one, and making her vomit was a valid option. Also, by 'bloat' many people are actually referring to GDV (gastric dilatation and volvulus), and just wanted to point out that peroxide would not be appropriate in that situation. With GDV, the stomach is actually twisted, and many of these dogs are already trying to vomit and not able to get anything out. You also usually don't need to induce vomiting in dogs with 'food bloat' where the stomach is not twisted, but just extremely full from over-eating (ie. cases where the dog gets into an entire bag of dogfood). The food will slowly pass with time, and often trying to induce vomiting won't work because the stomach is too distended to contract effectively.

I use peroxide to induce vomiting if the dog has eaten something toxic, or something that I'm worried won't pass and will cause a blockage in the intestines. The times I've used it for Willow was when she ate part of a tote bag, part of a pair of pants, and a dog toy - all separate occasions. She's generally not even a chewer, and these were all random and unexpected. There does seem to be a pattern in the type of material she eats, and I now avoid toys made of that kind of fabric.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest iconsmum

Apologies if this is a highjack but I couldn't resist.

I had a perfect gentleman of a hound who never did anything unexpected -except once, when he chewed up and spat out a full metal tube of my ultramarine blue oil paint while we were out for dinner. When I walked in the door, he was entirely blue from his front toes to his chin - legs, chest, teeth, ears., I mean vivid blue... There was so much blue that it was hard to figure out how much he had actually swallowed and how much he had just smeared around. The vet and I decided ultramarine wasn't toxic enough to kill him so I fed him toast spread with olive oil for a couple of days and soaped him up outside. Let's just say his poo was shockingly easy to find in the back yard for about 3 days. He was as happy as Larry with all the extra attention he was getting; the poo colour gradually changed back to normal, and I never trusted him again.

Guest happygrey

I'm in the same camp. Mr B has quite a taste for butter and attempts to steal it at every chance he gets. We've gotten very good at keeping it from him but he has gotten his chomps on his fair share. He was fine.