Unfortunate Update

Guest BlackandTan

No flames here! You were fostering. Yes, maybe the intent was IF ALL WORKED OUT WELL you would fail fostering. If the dogs really don't get along, then all is not working out well, so you are fostering - no longer with intent.

I have fostered over 50 dogs, and I loved every single one of them. There were a few failures along the way (hence my siggie) but there were way more than did NOT stay for various reasons. The ones that I did fail with fit seamlessly into our household, as if they had always been here - adjusting easily to our routine and fully accepted by all the other hounds in the pack.

The right girl will be out there for you and the boys. In the meantime, you are providing the guidance in adjusting to home life, an important step in her finding her forever couch.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

You've learned a lot about her in the time she's been with you that will enable the group to find the perfect home for her personality. I don't consider that a failure by any stretch of the imagination. I just know the perfect home is out there for her. :)

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hey, we can't all be failures. ;) If there were not successful fosters many of us wouldn't have had the opportunity to adopt a Greyhound. It hurts when you want to fail & see that it isn't going to work. But in the long run it will work out for the best. Not all dogs are a good fit for all households, even when it is well thought out ahead of time.

Give yourself credit for being willing to foster & for doing what is right for the hounds. Your hearts were in the right place & you are showing that your heads are as well.

And better luck failing next time... 'cause I do hope there will be a next time if you are able to foster again. All the best.

I say, congratulations for recognizing your home wasn't the best place for her, in spite of the fact that you had fallen for her! These hounds are easy to love, and it would be tempting to want to keep her even though she wasn't a great fit for your household. I have met several dogs that I wished I could keep, but weren't a good fit. They all found great loving homes that were a perfect for them :)

I've fostered a b*tt-load of hounds over the years. It's always hard to give them up but you were fostering, it is inevitable that you have to give them to a forever home. What you have done isn't for everyone and you should feel proud that you did what you could for her. And that she will be home ready.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Sorry to hear that it's not going to work out with Senko, Matt, but at least you were able to reach a decision and realized sooner rather than later that she was not a good fit for you both and the boys. I am sure there is another good home out there for her! And this way you might be able to foster again :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandTan

I do hope to foster down the road again... We just have way to much going on right now with our home on top of everything else.. Thanks everyone, I mad my descision but having people backing you always helps.

Guest PhillyPups

Why would someone flame you for fostering a dog? :dunno I admire people that foster dogs.

I had all intentions on failing.... Ive seen a few people on here just about get crucified for returning dogs...

There is a BIG difference between fostering and bouncing an adopted hound. The foster goes into it with the intent of helping the hound get aclimated to home life, and eventually handing over the leash to their forever home. Adopting a hound is making a commitment to that hound to give it a forever home. You are wise to know your limitations with your hounds, and when she finds a home, perhaps it will be time to foster again.

I say, congratulations for recognizing your home wasn't the best place for her, in spite of the fact that you had fallen for her! These hounds are easy to love, and it would be tempting to want to keep her even though she wasn't a great fit for your household. I have met several dogs that I wished I could keep, but weren't a good fit. They all found great loving homes that were a perfect for them :)

Ditto...

Hope you keep fostering....it is invaluable!! I am sure there is a failure out there waiting to happen for you! :)

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I, too, applaud that you are fostering. I know she will find a great home and meanwhile she is learning all the good things of being in a home and establishing her good manners. I, also, had a foster and she did not work out with my guy - through absolutely no fault of her own. She was a sweetie but my other grey just wasn't keen on her. She found a wonderful home, and came totally prepared for it. Thank you for fostering - it is a noble thing you are doing!

Guest BlackandTan

So Senko is back at the Kennel.... The house is a lot calmer without her.... Went right back to like it was the cats hanging out in the same room as the dogs.... Im glad the vibe is better but boy do I miss her. Luckily I still get to see her on the weekends but hopefully she will get a home soon!!!

Thanks Everyone for your support! :wubsite:wubsite

I have had a few failures in my time as well. All the failures were due to extreme incompatibility with my other Greyhounds. However, they all went to wonderful homes.

One girl who tried to completely dominate my other two girls did well in a home with ONLY boy Greyhounds. She did not like the competition of girls. The boys let her do what ever she wanted. When she was at my house, It was so bad, that even in the middle of the night, she would jump into my girls' beds while they were in them to try to kick them out of their beds. She pooped everywhere (even though she was completely house trained) and even in her crate. I finally had to put her in a crate when I left the house - but my other girls were free. I think she hated that. She would rock her crate all over the kitchen and pooped in her crate. She was a rascal.

Last year, we brought my Chickie's pup, Raleigh (J's Rollo) up here after she was done racing in Florida. She was straight from the farm/trainer. I fully intended to keep her, and I did love her, but she never got over wanting to lunge at the cats, randomly, and without warning.

I was heartbroken. I had already announced her arrival. I personally had her spayed, had her shots done, and then found a great adoption group (who had her littermate brother) who helped to place her.

I've fostered more than 20 hounds, and have only had one real regret in giving up a hound, but Raleigh was different because she was family. In the end, I am glad we made the choice, because everyone in the house is happier. Plus, we had room for Daisy (Oakland Lynne), a retired brood who came to stay in October.

Don't beat yourself up. You may end up with a third, and/or you may foster again, but you're helping a lot by volunteering at the kennel, and you've effectively reduced the stress levels of your permanent residents.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.