Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevenham

Are Greys More Sensitive To Heat?

Guest stevenham

It only started getting above 70 degrees here in the past few days.

I have noticed that my Grey pants a lot when we go to the dog park. She gets enough water while she's there, but she doesn't seem to have the energy to run around. All she does is slowly walk around and pant. Are Greys more sensitive to the heat that most other dogs? Dogs with really long coats seem to do just fine. It's been almost 40 minutes since we got home and she's still panting a bit. I gave her some ice water and it's very cool indoors. My other dog is fine and he was running around a lot.

Yes.

Not completely sure WHY, but the answer is yes. My dog melts when it's over 70.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

They are very heat sensitive. You have to watch out for heat exhaustion and heat stroke during the hot months in the summer.

If she has access to water and shade she should be okay in the 70's. It was 80 here today and my dogs came in from outside panting.

Judy, mom to Do Bee, Bandita, Angel and Gizmo

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey

Oh my yes. Without the fat, they feel the heat and the cold so much more.

Also, be sparing with the water. A wee bit during or after exercise is okay (and I mean a wee bit, like 1 cup, no more). After a while and the panting and rapid breathing has decreased, you can offer a bit again. Be careful with ice water and exercise -- that's quite a shocker to the system.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest stevenham

Unfortunately there are no shaded areas at our dog park.

How long would you suggest being out in the sun around 70-80 degrees? I've got a Jack Russel Terrier and that little guy can run around for hours. I've always stayed out for at least an hour when it was cooler, but I'm guessing that's way to long for the Grey now that it's getting hot.

Are there summer jackets for greys? A coat with small ice packs inside..or anything that might keep their body temp down.

My grey also has a steep decline in energy over 70 degrees, but I notice that it's worse in the early spring when it first warms up -- I think they acclimate to a degree as the summer goes on.

A squirt bottle is easy and useful for helping them cool off -- focus on chest, belly, flanks, inside of the thighs.

In the summer we go to the dog park in the very early morning. Well actually we almost always do so it's not busy, but in hot weather that's the only time I'd go. I'd play it by ear in terms of length of time -- depends what your dog is doing, how acclimated she is, how humid it is, etc. They're pretty good at communicating when they want to leave (mine stands by the gate with a "can we go now?" look).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

When we have our weekend greyhound play runs in hotter weather, they start promptly at 8:00 a.m. (we're on the road at 7:00 a.m. to get there on time). We're loaded and out of there not long after 9 a.m. The greys run for, oh, 10 minutes all told and spend the rest of the time socializing with each other, lying around, sniffing stuff, etc.

And yes, there are cooling jackets but they have their own inherent danger -- if you aren't paying close attention and the jacket is on long enough for the water in it to warm up, now the dog is heating up even quicker. Here's a link to one vendor's jacket: Chilly Dogs soaker jacket. I prefer the squirt bottle unless you have ready access to cool water for the jacket. For instance, I would readily use a soaker jacket at a provincial park because there ware water taps everywhere.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Australian summer. It presents some challenges. Our girls suffer if it goes above about 25 C but being young, they don't always stop so it's up to us to manage them. We walk early and late, slowly, and in as much shade as possible.

We also have to watch the asphalt on their paws. It gets hot and they're hurting.

Constant access to water and shade and keeping them cool inside.

Guest zombrie

Definitely, Minerva thinks she is dying in our 65 degree weather, I had to cut our walk short yesterday because I thought she was going to pass out!

In the Boston area it was right around 70 and my dogs were panting on the walk today.

If you have a black greyhound you have to be even more vigilant about keeping her cool since it seems the black ones overheat quicker when they are in the direct sunlight.

I use terry cool coats on my dogs in the summer om their walks - it's a short jacket that you just wet down and that will keep the dog cool for a bit but, as someone already noted, the problem is when it starts to dry, at that time it becomes a coat and can cause overheating. So, if you use one you need to bring water with you and keep on wetting it down.

Guest embarkguru

Unfortunately there are no shaded areas at our dog park.

How long would you suggest being out in the sun around 70-80 degrees? I've got a Jack Russel Terrier and that little guy can run around for hours. I've always stayed out for at least an hour when it was cooler, but I'm guessing that's way to long for the Grey now that it's getting hot.

Are there summer jackets for greys? A coat with small ice packs inside..or anything that might keep their body temp down.

I would love to try those jackets. But, I think once it starts becoming warmer you can watch and judge how your dogs are doing. I think an hour might be too long once the heat stays constant. We have a couple of acres for ours, but during the summer they only stay our ten minutes or so. They go out mostly during the evenings at that time. I know that doesn't work for everyone but I'm sure you can find something that will work for you and your pups.

I'm pretty sure Bella is part turtle in the summer, cause she's always being hosed/soaked by me...I have a fear of heat when it comes to her. I see how hot she gets compared to other greyhounds....might have to do with the fact that she's black.

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest Eyeblaura

So what do we watch for other then panting when out in the heat. Enzo pants pretty good on a walk in 50 degree weather. He is a furry boy with a heavy coat and is dark brindle.

We walked tonight around 7:30 sun was down by the time we came home. It was probably in the low 70s at this time. He panted from beginning to end probably about 1.5 miles.

Guest stevenham

So what do we watch for other then panting when out in the heat. Enzo pants pretty good on a walk in 50 degree weather. He is a furry boy with a heavy coat and is dark brindle.

We walked tonight around 7:30 sun was down by the time we came home. It was probably in the low 70s at this time. He panted from beginning to end probably about 1.5 miles.

I think you just need to watch out for excessive panting. From what I can tell from my Grey, her panting after a good run back when it was cooler was very different from her panting today in the heat. She was panting a lot harder and faster and she had very little energy. She didn't run at all and was panting harder than usual. The panting continued for a couple hours even after we got back home. I soaked a t shirt and put her in front of a fan and that seemed to do the trick.

Carl runs hot, never gets cold, so when it hits the 70s we don't walk. He will break out panting just laying in the house if it is hot outside and I have the windows open. Paradoxically, he loves to lay on his bed outside on the patio in the sun. He gets really hot and pants then, but seems to really love it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We try not to walk or exercise our Greyhound pack above 70 degrees either.

Another big concern about staying in sun too long is cancer - especially for white or light colored hounds. Greyhounds have less fur (particularly in summer) to protect their thin skin and lack of fat. (We have a hound with terminal cancer now, believed cause: excessive sun exposure, prior to adoption as early senior.)

Heat Stroke in Dogs:

http://www.veterinar...S=1&SourceID=20

Worth repeating from link:

If a dog is left in car with windows partially open on mild 70 degree day, car's inside temperature can increase +40 degrees, reaching 110 degrees within 1 hour.

My suggestion: Take dog home before running errands.

Otherwise, if making one very quick stop, on a very cool day, please do a "time check" the instant the car door gets closed, then keep doing constant "time checks" - even if just running into a store for milk. Get back to the car within 5 minutes.

I think you just need to watch out for excessive panting. From what I can tell from my Grey, her panting after a good run back when it was cooler was very different from her panting today in the heat. She was panting a lot harder and faster and she had very little energy. She didn't run at all and was panting harder than usual. The panting continued for a couple hours even after we got back home. I soaked a t shirt and put her in front of a fan and that seemed to do the trick.

The heat obviously effects her quickly and I would NOT allow her to run at all. Just walk her for a block or two and bring her in. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest MyCody

Absolutely, I don't know how Leah raced in Florida, she can't take the heat at all.

also, 70's in the spring is hotter for them than 70's in the fall. They still have their winter coat and they haven't aclimated to the hot summer weather.

Absolutely. Once it is above 60 degrees my girl actually starts pointedly looking at the window where the A/C goes, and lying in front of it just in case I missed her message. The walker knows to only do a quick pee run in hot weather and then spend the rest of the time visiting with her. I spend the summer months hiding under a faux fur blanket since I hate being cold. All for the dog. I wouldn't have it any other way. In truth, since my walker is out there for 9 hours a day I at least know that when she is with my girl she is inside in the A/C for a bit.

I did buy the Outward Hound cooling collar that has an ice pack that you freeze but it didn't seem to do a darn thing to help her.

I just did a search on this 'panting' topic and this came up. I was also curious because here it has been warmer than usual reaching over 60 degrees and my new grey who I have only had since September has been panting a lot when we go on our usual long walks. Yesterday we just made it to the gate in the yard, and he laid down under the rhododendom to get some shade. My other two greys (who are now at the Bridge) didn't seem to be as affected by the heat until well into the summer. My new guy is black and the other two were not. I also thought maybe it was the color???

I know he is healthy (thank goodness) as he has been to the vet, had all the bloodwork done, a dental, and is all over sound. He will be 3 years old next month. But, I must say, I worried about how he has reacted to the heat.

What I did was put him in a room with a ceiling fan, and wet him with a washcloth. Now I know not to go out when it is too hot. We will do our walks early morning / late evening when the sun is down. Can't believe this weird weather. Too warm too soon!

Thanks for everyone's input. It is helpful.

Black greyhounds can over heat rather quickly and the older they are the more the heat effects them. We had Valentino (11) this weekend and he overheated really quickly and had to rest and cool off before we headed home.

Judy, mom to Do Bee, Bandita, Angel and Gizmo

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey

I was always a sleddog breed owner before Teague so I though a greyhound would be able to handle the summer heat quite well. I was certainly wrong! He handles it way worse than all of the other thicker coated dogs we walk with. Sometimes, I actually think he has a lower heat tolerance than my last double coated malamute! :blink:

Does anyone know the reasons why they have such a low tolerance to heat (and cold)? I had heard this was because they have low body fat and therefore less insulation, as well as having more blood vessels close to the surface to absorb heat and/or cold. Is this true? :blink:

Black greyhounds can over heat rather quickly and the older they are the more the heat effects them. We had Valentino (11) this weekend and he overheated really quickly and had to rest and cool off before we headed home.

I had a feeling that might be the case. Seems like black absorbs more heat than, say, white - so I guess the black greys fall into that category. Good to know.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Absolutely. They are in A/C until right before they race, at least at the track I worked at. Then they go in the water, cool down, and get walked back to the compound and go back in the A/C. My Borzoi pants in anything over freezing. He is miserable outdoors unless he's swimming. The Whippets are much more tolerant of heat. Less so of cold.