I Need Emergency Opinions

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

Bill is resting. The panting has stopped. The lump appears to be spreading outward hind of like it is dispersing not getting larger. I think he will be fine till morning. I will take him in first thing tomorrow. I did find a couple of other small punctures so it nothing else the vet can confirm a hematoma and give him some antibiotics for the injuries.

I hate to over react but I don't want to under react either. I also tend to get a bit more emotional when it is Bill. I try not to but I can't help myself.

Thanks for everything . I will update in the morning to let you know how he did over night and then I will let you know what the vet says.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scouts_mom

Please tell Bill that his fans on GT are praying for him and for peace in his home. :grouphug

Edited by Scouts_mom

Feel better soon Bill. Your adoring fans are waiting to see more pictures of you smiling.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We are praying for Bill to have a swift and perfect healing. Give him some kisses for me. I am so sorry he had such a trauma.

I would be Furious at that other dog too - how mean!! :angryfire :angryfire

Poor Bill!! Just baby him and make him the king of the house for a little while. :grouphug :grouphug

Let us know tomorrow, please. Sleep well.

Guest greybookends

Well Bill is obviously hurting this morning. I think he suffered some blunt force trauma and is bruised more than anything. Once he settled down and stopped panting last night I gave him a Tramodol to help him get more comfortable so he could sleep. He did rest some but was a little restless. I think he was having trouble getting comfortable. I slept with him to make sure he wasn't in any distress and he wasn't but he was not real comfortable.

The swelling has mostly gone down and dissipated but there is still some there.

A while back I took him to the vet because he was having some trouble getting up and down on the bed and couch and the vet said he had a couple of, I believe it was compacted discs and we had him on some anti-inflamatories for a while and he has been fine since then. I am a little concerned that that may have been aggravated by this. So I will have him give a look see about that as well.

I'll update later after he sees the vet.

I am happy to read that he is better, but sorry that he isn't back to normal. Please keep us updated. Bill is one of those greys who is loved by all! I would imagine you will be standing on your head trying to get him to eat this week! You just might have to break out THEM.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Just seeing this now. Prayers coming for sweet Bill. Will check back for an update after the vet. Hugs to you Lori. Situations like this are so stressful - to everyone.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Poor Bill (and poor Mama). Hope the vet gets him sorted out. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

sounds like a hemotoma to me. one of my salukis was nailed by another saluki and developed an egg size hemotoma and was black and blue at the site. i watched it move,it started around the shoulder area and w/ gravity it went down the side of his chest and eventually to his elbow and down the leg. along the journey it decreased in size, it did take a while for the black and blue bruise to go away. salukis scream but nothing like a greyhound. it's really hard to monotor their pain(yeah, i just heard a scream from baby annie- she must of walked under dh's feet)by listening to their verbalization.but when you are dealing w/ an older dog w/ other issues it always takes a while for them to spring back.

in my house, if it's not bleeding profusely(sp) and their gums are o.k. i wait until the next day and call my vet first, describe the problem and then go up if he wants to see the dog. dogs will be dogs....

hope things return to normal pretty quickly.

Guest greybookends

I'm back from the vet. Bill will be fine. No broke ribs or anything. Just a couple of punctures one tear and a lot of bruising. Vet said I did everything I should have last night and giving him the tramodol was just fine. He is really sore this morning. We had to use the ramp at the vets to get him in because going up the stairs hurts and when we got home he wouldn't do the 3 steps to get in the front door so I took him into the back yard so he could come up the ramp back there. Dr. Bill said to continue the tramadol 3x a day as long as he needs it and gave him some cephalexon for the wounds. He said as long as he does not develop any cracklings under the skin he should be just fine. If he does develop cracklings I should bring him right in.

I hate that he's hurting but I feel better knowing he's gonna be just fine.

Thanks everyone.

Glad to read that he's going to be ok.

Rest up, Bill.

(PS - Your Momma will cater to your every little whimper for a few days - just in case you hadn't figured that out....:lol )

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Energy11

Just seeing this now! I usually get off the computer early.

You did a GREAT job, keeping your cool, and did the right things!

Sending a huge hug your way, and for Bill, too!

So glad Bill is doing better and is on the mend.

Sorry for my post above, I just realized by reading your first post again that the other dog was one of your dogs in the house. I thought this happened in the neighborhood - sorry for the confusion.

Lots of hugs, kisses, and cookies for Bill today. :)