I Need Emergency Opinions

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

Huey decided to go after Bill this evening. He has done so on occasion. It's almost like he sees him as week and every now and again he goes after him kinda like a pack will do with a seizure hound. That's the only way I know to describe it. Usually the VOG is enough to get him to back down and he's never actually connected enough to get more then a tuft of hair.

Not tonight. I am so furious right now I have him locked in a crate.

Once I got him off him I found my hand covered in blood. I go searching for wounds but only found a small bite on Bill's ear and a small tear in Bill's tuck at his back leg. Nothing to account for the blood on my hand. Turns out it is my own. Nothing serious. It's stopped. No stitches required barely even a band-aid. I got his ear all cleaned up. He wouldn't settle down and is panting. Normal for stressing. I then noticed this on his side.

015.jpg

014.jpg

It's on top of his rib cage. It appears to be some sort of hematoma. I am home alone without a car. DH is at his Monday night jam session and not answering his cell phone. Should I be concerned? DH wont be home until nine or so. Do you think it'll be ok until morning when the vet opens? The closest evet is at least 30 min. from here. I have some tramadol. Do you think I should give him some?

Edited by greybookends

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori can you take a picture a bit further back so we can get some perspective?

If it is truly a hematoma then by morning it will have dropped to the lower part of his rib cage.

I think I'd hold off on the tramadol for just a little bit. How long ago did this happen?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can you manipulate his leg? Is it definitely soft tissue or swelling? Any air crackly sounds?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it that 'bump' like thing under his skin? What does it feel like? Is there any pain response if you touch or squeeze it? Muzzle him if you are going to feel around a bit. I'd try an assess if it is bothering him or not. That said, I have no experience with what I see there.

Could it be from a puncture? Part the fur and look real close.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

There is a possibility that it could be a collapsed lung and if that is the case - he needs an ER vet.

The panting could be the result of a collapsed lung.

I would suggest that you google "collapsed lung dog".

Also, if it is a collapsed lung - you should not wait until tomorrow and I would not give any drugs that might hinder his breathing anymore than it is already.

Edited by MaryJane

Guest greybookends

Lori can you take a picture a bit further back so we can get some perspective?

If it is truly a hematoma then by morning it will have dropped to the lower part of his rib cage.

I think I'd hold off on the tramadol for just a little bit. How long ago did this happen?

I'll see if I can get one. I'm trying not to stress him to much. I am thinking if it is it will go down. My head is not thinking straight right now. My emotions are running a bit high. Let me see if i can get a better picture.

Again, this might be a collapsed lung and that is a serious condition - the lump you are seeing might be the result of air escaping from the lungs.

If he is still panting then that might suggest that he is not getting enough air.

Is there a neighbor around that can take you to the ER-vet?

Guest greybookends

I can't get a better picture. There are not any cracklings. I know what they are. It is not tender to touch. This is not near the tear. I feel nothing that feels like a broke rib. He is still panting.

*disclaimer* This is what I would do with my own dogs.

If actively bleeding that I could not stop with cornstarch and he appears in distress and not drinking then we'd wing to the E-vet.

Otherwise, if you have the bleeding stopped I'd give him a tramadol and call it a night and be there first thing in the A.M.

I can't really see the hemotama, that would not be life threatening in my mind. :donno.

Remember that ear and face wounds bleed a lot more than others so it may not be all your blood.. I am not a vet, just regretting the hundreds I spent at the e-vet when I was a greenhorn.:blush

:grouphug :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Has he tried to walk or change positions? Do you think he is starting to calm down?

tiny hada siggy.png

Lori I can't give you anything but prayers. But you have all of them.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest greybookends

Thanks Pam. All bleeding has stopped. Does not appear to be growing in size. Still panting and a bit of trembling. DH should be home in about 30 min. I will keep an eye on him and see if he calms down. He could also be stressing because I really lost it. Lots of screaming. I'm going to see if I can get him to drink some water and maybe fix myself a cup of tea for my nerves and my throat. I will check back in a little bit and let you know what we are going to do. He does not appear to be in distress right now and I am leaning to having him at the vet when they open the doors in the morning if not before. I know my vet will take him right in even without an appointment.

Reluctantly, I'm voting for a trip to ER and no tramadol in the meantime. "Reluctantly" because I know that's a pain and it's expensive and it might not be necessary. But my vote goes that way because if it's serious then delay might complicate the situation--a lot.

I'm much easier about delaying an ER visit when there's blood and a visible wound to assess. I'm much more uneasy about injuries below the skin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

When my Angel ran into the deck, I heard screaming and ran outside. She was limping. She had the exact same thing on her side. Exact lump. After a few hours, it went down and she was better. But I think it was a trauma from running into the deck.

How is Bill doing now? Is the lump going down? I'd be torn, too. I think I'd ice it and see if he can tolerate that, but if it doesn't go down and his breathing continues to be be fast...I'd call the e-vet and see what they say before I put him in the car. Sending you and Bill good thoughts. Scary stuff when this happens, for sure.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014