Considering A Greyhound: Running Question

Guest Caseous

Guest Caseous

Hi there. We're considering adopting a greyhound and I suspect this will the first of many questions I will ask of this board or search it for. We've heard some contradictory information in regards to it so I'm hoping someone can help me: I understand that greyhounds like/need to be run from time to time: 1) How often do you take your dogs out for a really good run and 2) Where do you do it? I know that a fenced-in dog park would seem ideal, but I've hear that this may not be the case because the greyhound may chase smaller dogs - is this true? We have a postage stamp sized yard and would need to take it to a fenced in dog park, but how do we handle the possibility (if true) that the greyhound may chase other dogs?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ad I would be happy to have whatever misconceptions I may hold cleared up.

Thanks,

C.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

This will start a war. I off leash my dogs in the woods and on beaches, with lots of training. Most Americans will kill you for that. Most Brits will say it is normal... it's cultural! Some groups forbid it... I would not adopt from one that did.

Use a muzzle at dog parks and ask small dog owners to keep their dogs in the SMALL DOG section.

Guest Caseous

Ah -I have no desire to create strife but thanks for your response. It may help to add some geographical information: I'm in NW metro Boston. Whether or not you're from there, I'd appreciate additional responses.

Always on a leash unless they are in a fully enclosed fenced in area.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Hi, That's really great that you are considering adopting a Greyhound.

You need to be very careful with the specification you give to the rescue organisation. It would seem, as first time owners, that you need a fostered dog that is already house trained and that is also cat and small-dog friendly. You'll go on a waiting list for that kind of dog to come along. I got that wrong once and had needed to return a high-pre-drive dog before we both bonded. Realistically strange cats are never going to be safe outside your property if they dart, but dogs of all sizes should be fine. Listen to what the rescue people have to say and work out a whole list of questions.

Running flat-out is something they like to do for all of 3 minutes. Their real joy is doing short bursts of 'zoomies' and then mooching around like a normal dog. They'll sleep most of the day. Mine gets 3/4 hour walk in the morning, then an hours walk late afternoon in the park. Also occasional weekend trips to the moors or the beaches.

Greyhounds like wearing muzzles - they see them as 'going-out' things like their leads and collars. So you should have fewer problems in the dog park or public parks where dogs are allowed. You can work out when the best time to visit the dog park might be by going along to take a look and asking people. Just after school or just when busy people are back from work can see visitors with badly controlled dogs.

We only have a small back yard (2 pieces of 20x15 yards narrowing in the middle by the corner of the house) and my Grey will do zoomies in that little area. You can't let them run free outdoors until you have good recall instilled. Things like having treats and a squawkwer help.

As stated, most American groups will have a clause in the adoption contract to never let the dog off-leash in an unsecured location. Most greyhounds have no awareness of the world outside the racing/training kennel and can easily run into a road/street and get killed by traffic. They will chase anything moving, and once they get going they are impossible to stop. Even *VERY* well-trained greyhounds can bolt.

Many groups organize greyhound playtimes at local dog parks and ball fields. I believe there are several in your area. Some people also take their dogs to dog parks during regular hours. This can work fine or it can be a disaster, depending on the other dogs there at the time. Most adoption groups discourage dog parks in general. As far as muzzles go, the general rule is all wear them or none wear them. A dog wearing a muzzle can't defend itself if attacked.

The thought that greyhounds "need" to run is mostly a myth. There are dogs that live quite well in apartments in the city, who never have the opportunity to run. They get their exercise from daily walks or jogs and are good with that. Remember that a long race for a greyhound lasts less than a minute, and that they run only every fourth or fifth day, so their exercise needs aren't what you would think. And an older dog will usually need less than a younger one or one right off the track.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The thought that greyhounds "need" to run is mostly a myth. There are dogs that live quite well in apartments in the city, who never have the opportunity to run. They get their exercise from daily walks or jogs and are good with that. Remember that a long race for a greyhound lasts less than a minute, and that they run only every fourth or fifth day, so their exercise needs aren't what you would think. And an older dog will usually need less than a younger one or one right off the track.

Good luck!

I think this point can never be emphasized enough. I get that question a lot at meet and greets, and I think when people envision "needs to run" they think they will need to set up a racetrack in their backyard or something. (Sure, some greys will create their own track, as many pictures here on GT will show, but let's set that aside for this conversation.) Many breeds of dog will go gradually insane if they don't get enough time running or working hard every day. I don't think greyhounds are one of them. One long or two short walks every day is all they NEED. They're the perfect breed for sedentary, elderly and even some disabled people!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Some hounds are happy with a couple of long walks a day. If there is a greyhound group in your area and they have fun runs once a month or so, your hound would probably love it. They don't have to run every single day. My dogs run in our back yard. The only one I have that really needs to run daily (and mostly for my sanity) is our 2 1/2 year old girl and she's still considered a "puppy". A 4 or 5 year old dog does not "have" to run daily.

As far as off leash, most groups require you sign a contract agreeing to never let them off leash because if your new pup see's a squirrel off in the distance, long before you do, they are off in a flash and you can't catch them. Most off leash dogs you see here on GT have had a lot of recall training until their owners let them off leash and they know their dogs very well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I understand that greyhounds like/need to be run from time to time:  1) How often do you take your dogs out for a really good run and 2) Where do you do it?  

Welcome! Mine would be fine with a postage stamp sized yard plus on-leash walks. They would be their healthiest if the could also get up to speed for a few minutes once or twice a week. A fenced ballfield, a friend with a large enough yard or safely fenced pasture, etc. works well. Bear in mind that many Greys won't really run solo to the extent we may think worth the drive to find a place. I drive 30 miles one way to get to the best off leash areas & my Greys are usually only running for 5-10 min. They may spend 30 or more min just sniffing around instead. Dogs have a blast but I sometimes question my sanity driving 1.5 hrs round trip for so little running. :lol  

I know that a fenced-in dog park would seem ideal, but I've hear that this may not be the case because the greyhound may chase smaller dogs - is this true? 

It takes time to get to know your dog before you will know if you have a dog park dog or not.  it also requires training to establish good recall skills (comes when called). In the mean time your yard & regular walks will serve. Dogs parks are a real risk. I am one who takes that risk sometimes but only certain parks, certain times & with certain people present. I am always willing to leash & leave if need be.

There are some unfenced areas where some well trained Greys can be let off leash in relative safety. I live in a somewhat rural area but don't have a place like that. There are just too many hwys bordering closeby with folks driving 60+ mph (100+ km/h). 

You have asked very good questions. Keep them coming! 

Edited by kudzu

Our dogs never really get to run. They get 2, 1-mile walks a day.

They used to run-around the house for 30 second spurts, in their younger days, but seem healthy and content with a couple walks and a bed to sleep on the rest of the time.

We do have every intent of the next house having a fenced-in yard where they, and future dogs, are able to gallivant a little.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

My grey is 5 and I have the extreme luxury of owning a 2 acre fenced-in field. While Tracker most of the time looks as if he's grown roots on the sofa, he will, about every other day, run as fast as he can, all by himself, in huge circles in said field, for ca 40 seconds. He definitely gets antsy if he hasn't had that for a few days. However, I think he gets antsy because he's fit and used to it; if we gradually decreased his running opportunities, he's get used to that and crave the running less and less and be fine with just on-leash walks. In that sense, I think greys are very amenable, unlike f.e. border collies who would go insane without work, as some other poster said.

Edited by christinepi

Ah -I have no desire to create strife but thanks for your response. It may help to add some geographical information: I'm in NW metro Boston. Whether or not you're from there, I'd appreciate additional responses.

I'm from Canton, MA

There aren't a lot of dog parks around, period. There ARE, however, Greyhound groups that organize play dates from time to time. Greyhound Friends, in Hopkinton, has a fenced in field. Greyhound Adventures leads greyhound-only walks every Sunday at various nice locations. Fun for the dogs to be with their own kind at these sorts of things.

What you do need to know is that you may not have a dog who chases, but dog parks can get rough, and Greyhounds have very thin skin. So even a playful dog park nip can turn into stitches at the e-Vet for a Greyhound.

That's why Greyhounds are muzzled in the turnout pens at the track. So they don't accidentally injure each other.

I walk mine 2 miles every morning. The few times I've taken him to a fenced area or even a play date, he has little to no desire to run. He's much more interested in sniffing and peeing. I no longer worry about it. He will bust out and do "zoomies" on the end of his leash once or twice a week, and that seems to get out the excess energy that our walks do not.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi and welcome! Others have already given some good answers re leash walking and safe off-lead spaces, so I just wanted to reiterate that there are lots of greyhounds and greyhound peeps in your area. In general, people seem to work out their own exercise solutions according to their circumstances and their hounds' individual needs and personalities.

As GeorgeofNE mentioned, some of us go on weekly greyhound walks - If you'd like to ask questions in person feel free to join a walk, or stop by a nearby Meet & Greet (here's an upcoming one in NW Metro Boston). :colgate

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am formulating my response to you directly as a new adopter of the breed.

1) Leash always unless in a secured fenced area

2) Muzzle only when playing with other greyhounds in large area

3) Avoid dog parks for at least the first 6 months you have your hound in order to acclimate them to different sights, sounds and dogs

4) should you not see why leashing at all times is important, click on "amber alert" and read some of the posts, you will quickly see why they shouldn’t be allowed off-leash in an unsecure area.

Just an FYI, over 90% of all greyhounds that Greyhounds Only (group in Chicago) has organized searches for (lost dogs) have come from first time adopters during the first 3 months they have their hound. FACT

Chad

Guest mariah

Hi from Boston!

I think most sighthounds (especially when they're young) need at least weekly opportunities for off-leash exercise. BUT...if your dog doesn't enjoy the company of other breeds, isn't much for socializing, or isn't good with small dogs, then the dog park probably isn't the place to do it. My last dog, Chips was not a good candidate for the dog park, so we had to be creative in finding ways to provide him with off-leash exercise. Gussie is kind of the polar opposite of Chips in that she's extremely gregarious and loves other dogs more than anything else in the whole world. She of course gets plenty of exercise when we take her to the park, but we go primarily so that she has a chance to play with other dogs. If she didn't enjoy doing that, we wouldn't.

If you do decide to go the park route, we really like the Green Dog program in Brookline. You pay a yearly fee ($100 for non-residents) and that gives you access to several area parks and playing fields where you can let your dog off-leash. The other owners are responsible and attentive to their dogs. We go on weekday afternoons, and it's always the same crowd of people there. The park ranger stops by sometimes to check things out, and there are park liaisons who will not hesitate to report someone who isn't playing by the rules or brings an aggressive dog. I know of a few other towns that have instituted similar programs, so maybe there's one closer to where you are. I think the Brookline program is very well done. There are popular dog parks here in Boston that I wouldn't be caught dead at (Peter's Park in the South end, for instance).

Edited by mariah

Hi, I'm from Westwood MA --

off leash -- don't do it unless the dog is in an fenced in enclosed area. Greyhounds are taught to run and ignore all noise like the crowds while they are chasing something and that noise would include you yelling for them to come back. They have no idea of cars and do not "look both ways" and if they get hit, they have no body fat and they lose big time. As someone already mentioned - go to the Amber Alert page to get a "wake-up call" on dogs that get loose.

Some greyhounds do not need to run at all and some, like the younger ones, seem to want to work off some energy. It really does depend on the greyhound. If you get a more mature greyhound, chances are he/she will not want to run and will get all the exercise he/she needs on daily walks.

As to dog parks, as already suggested .. wait awhile before going, you need to know your dog's temperament along with whether it is "small animal safe" before taking a dog to a dog park. Also, greyhounds have very thin skin which tears easily so they do not do well with boisterous play.

There are some great groups around the Boston area for walking - Greyhound Adventures is one, they have a weekly Sunday walk and as someone already suggested, you might just want to tag along and talk to some of the other owners. The link to their website is http://greyhoundadventures.org

Greyhound friends in Hopkinton also has a big fenced in area but, I'm not sure what their policy is on letting dogs run - you might need to do some volunteer work in exchange for privileges - check with them.

I suggest that you read post 17 in thread http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/283964-lost-in-medford-ma/

Edited by MaryJane

I don't have a fenced in yard, though I do have 11 acres (long story about why no fence). I walk Annie Bella a couple of times a day, sometimes 3 if good weather, at least a mile each walk, though if it's really hot or really cold, the length is reduced.

Annie loves her walks but isn't that much of a runner. For instance, this morning I stopped at the local Little League field (totally enclosed) and let her free. To get her going I started to run and hop around the field (oh the foolish things we do for our pups). What did she do? Walk the perimeter of the field sniffing every single blade of grass to check out what other dog had done the same thing. In the meantime, I'm continuing to do the foolish-woman thing, and she's ignoring me. I'm jumping. I've got treats. I'm running and teasing her. I want her to run so she can stretch out her muscles and because she's so beautiful when she runs. She wanted nothing to do with it.

Annie Bella will run sometimes, but only about 2 minutes worth if that, and then she's done.

What I'm saying is, some Greys really like to run if given the opportunity. Some don't give a #2 :rolleyes: about it.

I don't have a fenced in yard, though I do have 11 acres (long story about why no fence). I walk Annie Bella a couple of times a day, sometimes 3 if good weather, at least a mile each walk, though if it's really hot or really cold, the length is reduced.

Annie loves her walks but isn't that much of a runner. For instance, this morning I stopped at the local Little League field (totally enclosed) and let her free. To get her going I started to run and hop around the field (oh the foolish things we do for our pups). What did she do? Walk the perimeter of the field sniffing every single blade of grass to check out what other dog had done the same thing. In the meantime, I'm continuing to do the foolish-woman thing, and she's ignoring me. I'm jumping. I've got treats. I'm running and teasing her. I want her to run so she can stretch out her muscles and because she's so beautiful when she runs. She wanted nothing to do with it.

Annie Bella will run sometimes, but only about 2 minutes worth if that, and then she's done.

What I'm saying is, some Greys really like to run if given the opportunity. Some don't give a #2 :rolleyes: about it.

Have you tried throwing a short bully stick? Once I discovered that Tracker would go MAD with the zoomies after I tossed one (in the end, once he's spent, he goes to find the bully stick and devours it quickly), now when I forget to bring one all I need to do is pretend I'm throwing something and he'll take off. Nothing else will work with that boy.

Have you tried throwing a short bully stick? Once I discovered that Tracker would go MAD with the zoomies after I tossed one (in the end, once he's spent, he goes to find the bully stick and devours it quickly), now when I forget to bring one all I need to do is pretend I'm throwing something and he'll take off. Nothing else will work with that boy.

I haven't, but knowing Annie Bella, if I got her interest with a Bully Stick, she'd lay right down and eat it while I twiddled my thumbs for half an hour. :P

My yard is not very big...big enough that my three can do 'zoomies' up and down it for 30 seconds in the mornings.

We do walk very briskly for at least an hour every day....Nixon would probably be happy with a relaxing 20 minute stroll...he has always been this way.

We do have a wonderful dog park to go to. In the two years we've been going we have never encountered any nasty dogs or owners there. We used to meeet up with 3 other Greys there every Sunday morning, but one moved away, another hounds owner does not drive anymore, and we lost one to Osteo in the fall.

But...like George...my three don't do much running at the park.

The past three times we have been there.... and had the entire 3 acres to ourselves... not one of them got out of a slow jog.

Occasionally, they do like to chase the dogs who are chasing the balls. But even then, they'll have one or two very short fast runs, then go back to sniffing and peeing.

Our Ruby is very high prey and if there are any little yappers in the park I do put her muzzle on.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Caseous

Thanks for all the replies and I was sorry to hear about Alex - I saw the signs last night. Message received: no off leash activity.

Thanks for all the advice. Well proceed cautiously.