Rabies Shots And Various Types Of Cancer

I have sent a message to OSU about this, but I thought I'd ask here too...

Ace has chronic lymphocytic leukemia. She takes an oral chemo (Leukeran) every other week and prednisone every other day. She is due for her rabies later this month but I'm trying to find out if it's a good idea for her to have it or not.

Pinky was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in late October and had her left rear leg amputated November 7th. She will be having her last chemotherapy treatment Thursday. She's not due again for her rabies for a while yet, but I figured I'd ask about that too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

If it was suggested they shouldn't have rabies shots anymore, all my vet has to do is write a letter and that will serve as the rabies certificate.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

It doesn't actually serve the same purpose as the certificate. If she were to bite a person or another domestic animal (fortunately very unlikely!), she'd be treated as an unvaccinated dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

According to Rock Island County ACC in Moline, IL...

All pets must be immunized against rabies at four (4) months of age. This vaccination is good for one (1) year and must be given by a licensed veterinarian. Your pet must then receive an annual rabies booster shot or a three (3) year rabies booster shot thereafter. All cats and dogs are required by law to have a rabies vaccination.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Thank you, I'm very well aware of the ordinance in my area (which is pretty much the status quo everywhere). HOWEVER, it may not be a good idea to vaccinate due to health reasons. For instance, my parents' cat cannot have a rabies vac because he had a bad reaction. For registration purposes, a letter from the vet is accepted in place of a rabies certificate.

Jey, I know that if they were to bite someone (so completely unlikely that it's not even a real concern), they'd be treated as unvaccinated. The only reason I'd even need a note from the doctor is to register them with the county (county already said that a note from the vet will serve the purpose just fine).

I started the thread to ask about the health risks of vaccinating my girls with cancer, not to ask about the legality of vaccinating vs. not. If you can't answer the question, just move on. I am perfectly capable of using Google to find information if and when I need it (and in this case, I don't need it).

Edited to fix silly autocorrect mistakes

Edited by krissn333

Guest PiagetsMom

Kristin, all I can tell you is that when one of my previous girls started having serious reactions to the rabies vaccination around the age of 12, my vet recommended that we not vaccinate any more. She was an inside dog, and because her health was declining, really only went out to do her business. I lost her at 14. Don't have a clue whether it was legal or not, but I followed his advice. I'd definitely wait until you've heard back from OSU, and then consult with your vet.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Check with your oncologist and see what they say and as someone else suggested, consult with OSU.

I think that since both of your dogs have a compromised immune system the oncologist may recommend suspending the rabies at least until both the dogs are a few months past any immune system suppressing drugs like chemo treatments. If you decide to wait a few months, doing a rabies titer in the interim would be a good idea.

edited to add ... I forgot to mention that when my Onyx finished chemo and was due for a rabies - the oncologist and I decided to wait for a few months.

Edited by MaryJane

MaryJane, Ace will be on Leukeran and prednisone for the rest of her life, and Pinky will likely be on chemo in some form or another for the rest of her life as well.

Guest snakes

My vet doesn't suggest any vaccinations while a dog is undergoing chemo or any significant medical treatment. We don't give FedX anything more, he was due for his last rabies vaccination back in July I think (he was diagnosed a year ago Jan). The vet applied to the city for an exemption from the city (they do this for dogs that react badly to the vaccination) for as long as he lives and it was approved.

Sam has cancer but isn't on any kind of chemo. His rabies shot isn't due until 2013, and I don't think that's going to be an issue. (I'd love to be proved wrong on that one.) But I told my vet I didn't intend to get any vaccinations for Sam this year (DHPP was due last month), and the vet said he agreed with me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kristin, we do not vaccinate Charlie any more.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Honestly just do what you think will be best for them, i have seen perfectly healthy dogs have issues with vaccines so i'm sure the state of health your pups are in the vaccines are not going to help anything. You can speak with your vet and find a way around not vaccinating them and not getting in trouble with the county/state.

I wouldn't & haven't in the past with hounds who've had cancer. My town accepts letters from the vet - they're just delighted to get the $12 license fee. rolleyes.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis