My 6Am Wake Up...ugh

Guest Johnnyjet

Guest Johnnyjet

Okay so my Greyhound has been with me for about 6 weeks and she is doing very good. I have one question ... how do I get her to sleep past 545am. I know allll about the schedule at the track, and I know that they are "trained" this way. I gotta break her of this habit and make her sleep in like my Moms grey hound. LOL. Any suggestions?

Guest Gemma

What we did is set our alarm before her usual wake up time. Every two days, we'd set the alarm 5minutes later. The idea is to cue your dog that the alarm is the wake up signal; not her own feelings on the matter! It took us about 4 weeks to get our early rising foster on to our schedule, although she did occasionally fuss in the wee hours. By the time she left for her forever home, she only woke up with the alarm. :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

pull a pillow over your head and wake up when you feel like waking up. It will take a week, but your hound will figure it out.

Another 6 months?!?

If you know she doesn't NEED to get outside do your best to ignore her and hopefully she will transition to later-and-later for you.

(our boy Kingsley used to get up at 3am, walk to the front window and bark once... for about 4 years! Could tell time by his wanderings)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

If it makes you feel better, we have two senior girls that wake us up in the middle of the night - pretty much every night - to go potty. I love my senior girls, but dislike their weak bladders.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

They're not "trained" that way; it's just that the kennel workers tend to show up early and wake them up!

I've had my dog for four years, and I don't think he's ever slept past 6 AM. I feel fortunate though, because it was 4 AM when I got him!

I'm an early riser anyway, but all the advice you've gotten is spot on. Take her out right before bed, and then just deal with the noise in the morning until she learns it isn't going to work!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlackandTan

Okay so my Greyhound has been with me for about 6 weeks and she is doing very good. I have one question ... how do I get her to sleep past 545am. I know allll about the schedule at the track, and I know that they are "trained" this way. I gotta break her of this habit and make her sleep in like my Moms grey hound. LOL. Any suggestions?

Be happy its not between 4 and 5 like my Diago!

Guest thecoyotesgrin

When Auggie had his sleep over... he honestly slept until 9... haha I know this because he was half laid across me since 1:ooam haha. I believe it is a per dog thing from what I have heard - but I remember the alarm clock trick working for my old Iggys whose breeder woke up at 5 to let them out.

When I first adopted Luna, she was up every night between 3 and 4. At first, I was worried she would have an accident, so outside we went. After a while, I realized that I couldn't be doing that routine every night, so I started to ignore her. After a couple of weeks, she got the message and stopped harrassing me while I was sleeping. Now I can barely get her out before 9am! :lol Your grey is still getting used to your routine, and it will get better over time.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Saint woke us up every single day of his life between 5:00 - 5:30. We didn't have to set an alarm for 7 years. The day after he passed away we over slept. Believe it or not, I miss the sound of his voice waking me up every morning. Some dogs sleep and others are early risers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

pull a pillow over your head and wake up when you feel like waking up. It will take a week, but your hound will figure it out.

Yup!

As long as you are sure he does not have to go potty, just ignore him.

Do not look at him or even acknowledge he is there.

Having 'been there, done that' with more than one dog, I know how hard it can be.

He will figure it out, but patience is the key in these situations.

And yes! Tomorrow he'll sleep until at least 6:45 :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Johnnyjet

I tried the sleep n ignore thing.815am I got up and no accidents ...afta ignorin the 600am wake up whimper... ....so its how she was "trained" at the track by the handlers going in early as I thought. When she was ignored this mornin, she went back to bed til I got up. I let her out for last call every night at 11pm so she is able to make it to 8am. I guess over time this will fix itself. Thanks for all the advice and tips...seems pillow ova my head is gonna work best...LOL

Ill tried the sleep n ignore thing.815 I got up and no accidents so its how she was "tarined" at the track by the handlers going in early as I thought. When she was ignored this mornin she went back to bed til I got up. I let her out for last call every night at 11pm so she is able to make it to 8am. I guess over time this will fix itself. Thanks for all the advice and tips...seems pillow ova my head is gonna work best...LOL

Edited by Johnnyjet

I let my grey out around 10pm before bedtime, and give him a little treat/cookie to tide him over. He sleeps in until 7:30am(ish). I have had him for almost 5 months now and he is almost 3. He also sleeps in our bedroom next to my bed on his own bed, and will pretty much stay there until I get up. I think you just have to wait for your grey to accept your routine. She'll get it.

Edited by greyhoundlady

Guest raedab

What I did to get my hound sleeping to at least 6 am(wakeup time) was taking her on a run with me every time I exercised. It worked! We took her out just before bed time on a run with my mom and I and she was so pooped that she didn't wake up until 6, opposed to 5:20-:30 ish. Try exercise, it worked for us! We also ignored her so she would realize that her whining wasn't going to work. :P