Trip To Vet

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

took riley to the vet yesterday. no noticeable change in her heart. vet said to keep her inside when the weather gets hot. it has been almost a year since she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. vet seemed to indicate after this length of time riley may start to experience some health changes. upped her lanoxin from 1 a day to 2. did not have the presence of mind to ask but do you think upping her lanoxin is just precautionary? she wants to see riley once a month during the summer months. :) & :(

What did your vet say about the warm weather? Our Jack was diagnosed this past Fall with CHF and is on all the drugs they normally prescribe. I'm assuming you need to keep Riley in check and not to over-exert himself when it's humid as it's harder to breath? Our Jack is the classic Grey, he doesn't do anything other than lay on a towel in the sun. He's not very active so I think he'll be okay but we will be watching him carefully. No idea on the lanoxin, would be nice to know more about it.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest saltwaterron

vet said to take her on potty walks if needed but otherwise stay out of the heat and it does get hot in south carolina.

How was Riley diagnosed with congestive heart failure (CHF)? CHF means there's fluid buildup due to heart disease, and the fluid is usually either in the lungs (causing coughing and rapid breathing) or the abdomen (causing a distended belly). Most dogs with heart disease that have progressed to the point of CHF need to stay on a diuretic (usually Lasix/furosemide) for life to manage this fluid buildup. If your dog is doing well a year later without diuretics, I'm wondering if she truly had CHF.

Adjustments to heart medications are usually done based on worsening of symptoms or worsening changes in heart function seen on ultrasound (echocardiogram). I'm not familiar with changing meds as a precautionary measure.

Why the once a month checks during the summer? If she's doing well, seems that getting her in and out of the house and vet's office so often would expose her to more heat and stress.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest saltwaterron

actually, she was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. i just refer to it as chf. she had an ekg and ultrasound last june. so increasing her meds is not a good sign?

Guest saltwaterron

no noticeable changes. some hacking but vet seems to think it's throat irritation. she says her lungs sound clear. riley was so nervous the vet couldn't even listen to her heart.

Guest saltwaterron

haven't seen a cardiologist. not sure that's a possibility.

If she's that nervous at the vet, it makes me wonder even more about the benefit of once a month visits over the summer...

one good thing is that the vet has never charged for these follow ups

Please do consider seeking a cardiologist's opinion. Heart disease is so often misdiagnosed with greyhounds.

At the very least your hound deserves the latest most modern treatment options available that only a boarded cardio vet may be aware of.

Edited to add-- trying to understand how your vet determined that your hound has heart disease absence of an echocardiogram?????

Edited by tbhounds

I too would strongly encourage a consult with a cardiologist.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest saltwaterron

riley did have an ultrasound done. i stood there with the vet as he did the ultrasound and he explained how her left ventricle was not pumping the blood as it should. her second set of x-rays, 6 months after diagnosis, showed that her heart was getting larger. even i could see that before her vet said a word.