Osteosarcoma Study At U Penn

Just passing on this info that was was posted to another group in case anyone here was interested. There are some specific criteria that need to be met, so a lot of dogs may not qualify.

Cancer Vaccine for Dogs with Osteosarcoma

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Wonderful! Though it sounds like you need to be close to UPenn to participate.

Thanks for posting this!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest snakes

I'm glad they are doing this study and taking an interest in OS, but wow.

You would have to be fairly close to UPenn for all those followup visits. Personally if i had already had put my dog through amp and chemo AND they now had lung mets, I don't think i would want to loose any time with my pet for them to be hospitalized for observation, not to mention all the vet visits for followup testing.

I do hope they learn something of value though.

You would have to be fairly close to UPenn for all those followup visits. Personally if i had already had put my dog through amp and chemo AND they now had lung mets, I don't think i would want to loose any time with my pet for them to be hospitalized for observation, not to mention all the vet visits for followup testing.

I think you misread - it says there has to be NO evidence of lung mets. I don't think the number of visits is all that bad actually, the problem I had with most studies is you generally are not allowed to do any other treatments at the same time so no Palladia, no Artemisinin, etc. for the duration of the study. Of course you could always resume them once the study was completed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Interesting! I wonder how long it will take to complete the study. Thanks for posting. smile.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I think you misread - it says there has to be NO evidence of lung mets. I don't think the number of visits is all that bad actually, the problem I had with most studies is you generally are not allowed to do any other treatments at the same time so no Palladia, no Artemisinin, etc. for the duration of the study. Of course you could always resume them once the study was completed.

Yep, and then what if your grey happens to be in the control group?? THey have to have a control group who's getting just saline or something...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

"All dogs will be vaccinated using a L. monocytogenes expressing huHer-2/neu recombinant vaccine, there is no placebo group."

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest snakes

You're right, my mistake. Either way i am glad to see another group researching this cancer, any information is good information!