Very Strange Sensation On Top Of Bella's Head

Just a couple of minutes ago, I was gently petting the top of Bellas head, and I heard the sound of bubbles - like soap bubbles. I also felt like the squishiness of bubbles on my fingers aas I was stroking her head. I looked closely in the light and with a magnifying glass, and NO soap, water, wetness , or anything else on the top of her head. Completely dry!!! But as I kkept stroking the top of her head, I still hear the tiny bubbles sound of like soapy bubbles, and feel the squishiness of a larger bubble. Right on the top of her head about 1.5 inches in ddiameter.

Help. THis is strange and never encountered this before. She does not cringe or act like it hurts her at all.

Sounds like subcutaneous emphysema. Look for a wound, scab or puncture site.

There is a tiny tiny little scab on top that looks like it has been there since today.

I have never heard of that. What is it??? Is she in danger?????

Just some air getting trapped under the skin. Likely she whacked herself on something or got poked by a twig. I'd keep an eye on it but usually the "crispy air" disappears over a few days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's also called crepitus. Not a big deal; it's just air under the skin, usually a sign of a puncture wound. Just disinfect the scab and keep an eye on it.

Try not to worry too much ;)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I think I know what you are describing. It's a bit like a crinkle sound under the skin? The late Miss Magic and Jimmy got into a minor altercation years ago and he nipped her on the head. The vet gave us some topical cream to put on it. It was very minor. Maybe she grazed her head on something sharp?

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

You dear ones have relieved me to a great extent just now. I do thank you for your quick response to a panicked mama.

I will put some peroxide on it or alcohol with a cotton ball. She has been in the back area today behinde the back yard and it is very possible she got poked with the bush twigs as they hhave no leaves yet - just the twigs.

I dont know that, just guessing. Hubby had her while I was at shcool this evening. When I came home and said my hello's, I found it.

The tiny scab is the size of like a pin head.

Soak the scab off just to make sure the wound doesn't need more attention -- the air will absorb in time- harmless-- weird feeling but, harmless.

Thank you, thank you!!!

Warm water soak is your best bet - peroxide will kill healthy cells too and alcohol- ouch!

First rubbed a little warm soapy water, rinsed it with warm water until soap residue was gone, added a touch of alcohol (before I read your post), than rubbed warm water over it with a cotton swab again. Scab is still there, but I wont bother it anymore. Tiny.

Guest madredhare

We had a foster dog that had subcutaneous emphysema and it was caused by a bad tooth.

Happened to a foster dog here related to a puncture wound from another dog's tooth. Our little "Air Head" had the wound heal fine with no complications & eventually the air was absorbed. Until then though she tolerated her new nickname well.

Guest sweetpea

Sweet Fancy Moses, what am I going to do with all the information I inadvertently

acquire on GT?

(It's a good thing I majored in History, my brain is perfectly suited for oodles of

might-be-useful-someday bits of trivia.)

Buzzy

Happened to a foster dog here related to a puncture wound from another dog's tooth. Our little "Air Head" had the wound heal fine with no complications & eventually the air was absorbed. Until then though she tolerated her new nickname well.

:lol :lol - Poor Kid

Sweet Fancy Moses, what am I going to do with all the information I inadvertently

acquire on GT?

(It's a good thing I majored in History, my brain is perfectly suited for oodles of

might-be-useful-someday bits of trivia.)

Buzzy

It is another world of education all together. It is amazing what I learn here on GT.

You can walk around calling her "crispy air head" for a few days. Lol. :)

:lol :lol - My Hub is already calling her Air Pocket

Edited by LadyGrey

Guest avadogner

L-

Crepitus is really creepy and once you feel it and hear the Rice Crispy sound, you know it. I hope the site stays clean. How do they get themselves into so much mischief. I hope y'all are all enjoying the pretty weather lately.

-A3

Hi Alicia!

I have been enjoying the weather. The blue birds have already claimed the house, and the finches are already nesting on the downflow pipe along side the house! The doves, cowbirds, cardinals, finches, starlings, thrushes, are enjoying the feeders in the back yard and the ground feeder. The robins are all over the yard in the am. In a couple of weeks, I put oout all the hummingbird feeders. We just love our bird sanctuary in the back yard. The bird pond has participants a lot now as well.