Loose Stools

Guest BooneTia

Guest BooneTia

My grey Oz seems to get diarrhea every time we go for a walk. I'm talking REALLY loose as in water-like. I asked the vet about it and he just said it must be "exercise induced". We are not walking long, maybe a half hour at at moderate pace. It doesn't seem to bother him as he always wants to walk longer. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas would be welcome. I have to carry a wet paper towel on walks to clean him up along the way. Thanks in advance!

Guest BrianRke

Is that the only time he gets diarrhea? IF so, I would assume its because he gets very excited. Sometimes that will happen when dogs get excited, nervous, or stressed.

The longer I walk, the more my dog goes!

If I go on a greyhound group walk, he'll go four times in one walk, each stool looser than the next.

If his stool is otherwise normal, I guess your vet is right. Are you only walking him occasionally? Maybe if you do it on a regular basis, he won't get so excited?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BooneTia

Yep ,it only happens on walks, otherwise "things" are normal. I'm just glad to know that it's not just Oz. Boone doesn't have this problem, so I wasn't sure if this should be something to worry about or not.

Guest BooneTia

The longer I walk, the more my dog goes!

If I go on a greyhound group walk, he'll go four times in one walk, each stool looser than the next.

:nod :nod Our boy is the same - we call him a poop-walker!

Well I'm glad to hear other dogs are like this! oops that didn't come out right, but I think you know what I mean LOL I guess I'll just keep wiping butt on our walks!!!! THANKS

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo is the same way, maybe not watery but he is definitely looser on walks then anything I pick up in the yard. I have always thought it was excitement and exercise induced too.

The last poop to come out has been in the GI tract the shortest and as a result, has higher moisture content, hence the loose stools. Excitement / stress / exercise can certainly cause a dog to poop more on a walk, which is what you are seeing. If yard stools are completely normal, then it seems like that's what you've got!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

That's normal for my Enzo (hi, other Enzo!). Goopy soupy poop puddle by the time he gets to poop #4, lol. Otherwise his poops practically bounce! No discomfort as far as I can tell, just excitement. This happens on walks as short as 30 minutes as well.

:lol Just laughing because this is such a normal topic for us but those on the "outside" would just shake their heads.

My Annie Bella is somewhat the same. First-morning poo, on a leash on my property (I've got 11 acres but none is fenced), is perfect. On our first morning walk out in the world, a couple of hours later, she always manages to drop more poo, with it being less perfect and sorta dripping at the end (she's a walker when she poos so I have to pick up a trail). Her last poo of the day in late afternoon (she's so regular I could set a clock by her), usually on my property while leashed, starts off decent but ends up puddly. It's nothing I've ever worried about because, well, Greyhounds like to shake up our minds and hearts and I don't worry over every little thing. (I've become convinced that once retired their job it to make *us* race caring for them and worrying about them.) :P