Lexi (Jm Lexus)

CherylB

Lexi was not my dog, but she was a special girl to me. She belonged to my neighbor, and went to the bridge this weekend, but her story is more involved than that. Here is how Lexi came into our lives.

Five years ago a friend of mine who works with corgi rescue went to the county animal shelter because she heard they were holding a stray corgi. Turned out there was no corgi, but she saw a greyhound there and let me know. I went over to verify, and there was Lexi. She ended up in the shelter because of a horrible tragedy that was all over the news the day before. Her owner was killed by the other dog she lived with, a German Shepherd. Animal control brought both dogs in until they could investigate and prove that Lexi was not involved in the incident, even though everyone knew she wasn’t. When I walked up to the kennel, she smiled at me and danced around. (She had the cutest, biggest smile, the kind that some people who aren’t familiar with greys can mistake for baring teeth.) She really wanted attention, and I am sure she missed her soft greyhound bed. All she had was the concrete floors.

I called our rescue group, and found out they had placed Lexi originally. It took a couple of days to get her out of the pound. When I went to pick her up, she was the happiest girl ever, jumping up and down and smiling like crazy. I took her home, and the plan was for me to foster her. But it didn’t take long for her to find her forever home. My friend and next-door neighbor already had one greyhound and had just lost her standard poodle. I told her about Lexi, and I think she must have been watching out the back door for me to come home with her. She came over, fell in love immediately and adopted her not long after.

Lexi was a tiny girl, only 50lbs. She was so cute, and had a cowlick on the back of her neck that that stood up like the ridge on a Ridgeback. She had the sweetest loving spirit, was outgoing and charmed everyone she met with her silly greyhound smile. My neighbor was elderly, and I often walked her dogs for her, so I got to know Lexi like she was my own. Eventually, my neighbor had to move to assisted living and no dogs were allowed. I couldn’t take Lexi because she didn’t get along with my girl Haley. So, we took my neighbor’s first greyhound Sheba, and Lexi was adopted by another one of our neighbors. I wondered if it was the best home for her for a number of reasons that I won’t go into here, but was hopeful and happy that I’d still be able to see her. Turns out my instincts were right. Lexi was returned and went a foster home, where she lived the rest of her life. On Sunday, I heard from a friend in the rescue group that she had fallen down the stairs and badly broken her leg. Amputation was the only option, but at 12.5 years old with bad arthritis in her front legs and shoulders it was best to let her go. Her first Mom was there to meet her, and so was my neighbor, who passed away in 2009. There were some happy reunions in heaven, and I hope Lexi was smiling a lot.

I took this picture of Lexi the day I brought her home from the pound. It’s not a good one, but it’s all I have. Run free, sweetie. You were a wonderful girl loved my many.

Greyhound_JM_Lexus.jpg

Edited by CherylB

Cheryl, mom to Remy and Woot. Always in my heart Haley, Henry and Sheba.

What a life experience she had. I am so sorry for the loss of a very special girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. Thank goodness Lexi always had you looking out for her. Godspeed Lexi.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Godspeed, sweet Lexi. :grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

What a sweet girl. I'm so sorry she had to leave.

Godspeed, precious Lexi.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rest in Peace, Sweet Girl.

You were clearly Lexi's guardian angel here on earth....and I'm sure from where she is, she will serve as your angel......

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

What a convoluted history for a sweet little girl. I'm glad she had at least one great home and you watching out for her.

Godspeed Lexi.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So sorry Lexi had to go.

Sounds like she was loved by many!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My condolences to all who loved her. What a beautiful girl! Even though she bounced around a bit, it seems like she was loved wherever she went. Godspeed Lexi! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Bless her heart..... We've viewed her profile many times on the website.

Run free Lexi- you were loved.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

She must have been very special to have remained a happy girl through all of her trials and tribulations. Rest well, Sweetie! I'm sure your two Mamas were thrilled to see you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead