Ticks On Face

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

Its hard to see even with a magnifying mirror but looks like my non-grey has a teensy black tick on his face between his eye and mouth. Never had this happen before in that area. Wondering if I should take to vet tomorrow and pay them to check it out? Could be a skin tag but never noticed it before and too near the eye for me to try to use tweezers plus if its not a tick its going to hurt him. I thought he also had one on other side of face but this morning it was gone but with no sign of having been a tick bite on that area. brit

Its hard to see even with a magnifying mirror but looks like my non-grey has a teensy black tick on his face between his eye and mouth. Never had this happen before in that area. Wondering if I should take to vet tomorrow and pay them to check it out? Could be a skin tag but never noticed it before and too near the eye for me to try to use tweezers plus if its not a tick its going to hurt him. I thought he also had one on other side of face but this morning it was gone but with no sign of having been a tick bite on that area. brit

If it's a tick it'll swell and you'll be able to tell soon. Fleas do bite and hang on sometimes, so it might be that - they sometimes seem to like the face, too. They are small, thin, brown or almost black and shiny.

What kind of flea/tick treatment do you use?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest brit1

Ah yes silly me didn't think of that :blush Actually I do not use any chemicals on my dogs although I do use other methods. Namely a mix of rose geranium essential oil and neem spray for ticks. Needless to say I don't spray around face although usually spray my hands and rub around ears and neck. Fortunately in the past 10 years my dogs rarely get ticks on them with this method and fleas have been nonexistent although when I go to dog park I do apply an essential oil spray that specifically deters fleas. Thanks again, will see how it looks tomorrow as would assume it will swell at least a little, I am sure its not a flea btw :)

. brit

If it's a tick it'll swell and you'll be able to tell soon. Fleas do bite and hang on sometimes, so it might be that - they sometimes seem to like the face, too. They are small, thin, brown or almost black and shiny.

What kind of flea/tick treatment do you use?

Just to add, that not all types of ticks swell up. Some have hard shells. Deer ticks don't swell and they are tiny.

Ah .. you have different ticks in the US. I forget, sorry. Here in the UK, the hard ticks do swell, just not so much and our deer ticks can get quite big. :blush

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I live in deer country and the county of the second highest incidence of Lyme disease in New York State. I am always finding ticks on Annie Bella and me. Our deer ticks, even before swelling up (which they do here), can easily be seen on something light, such as human skin and AB's fawn-colored hair. They're small but they're not teeny tiny.

If I found a tick on Annie Bella that I could not remove, I'd take her to the vet even though I do use a treatment for fleas and ticks. I figure in the long run it's better to make sure she's OK than face Lyme disease.

Edited by Feisty49

If the dog has a tick, you really want to get it off without delay. Ticks might appear / disappear because they are feeding and dropping off. Bright light and a magnifying glass are your friends ....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am also in a high tick area...and deer ticks are very visible with just the naked eye. They're black and about the size of a pin head.

And yes... they DO swell up. A lot!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest brit1

thank you all so much. This morning no sign of the tiny tick so assume it fed and fell off :( I applied some peroxide to the area. In late April we go for our spring vet check up which always includes heartworm/tick panel plus we get a C6 if positive. Needless to say if he shows any unusual symptoms prior will get him checked out. Have put all bedding in wash including mine as they sleep with me. brit

Edited by brit1

One other thing about ticks: I had a tick on me last month after walking in the woods but didn't discover it until in bed that night when I felt something on my side .. something irritating my skin. In the dark I got to "it" and "it" was a tick!

The info I got from two doctors the following morning (one a doc-in-the box place which is closer than my primary care physician who is 35 miles away) and the other my primary care physician was the same: A tick has to be attached and feeding on a host body 48 hours before Lyme is passed into the host system, and it takes 3 weeks for the Lyme antibody to appear in the blood. I was told to wait at least 3 weeks for a Lyme titer unless I showed other symptoms. I don't know if this info applies to animals other than humans.

Guest mariah

I am also in a high tick area...and deer ticks are very visible with just the naked eye. They're black and about the size of a pin head.

And yes... they DO swell up. A lot!

Yep! Dog ticks are worse with the swelling, but deer ticks can still get very big.

If you don't feel comfortable pulling them off by hand or with tweezers and have lots of ticks where you live, you might be interested in getting a tick key which is a special little apparatus you can use to pull them off safely.

I'd check him all over good in case it was a tick, it could have crawled off somewhere else on his body.

Edited by mariah