Petzlife Gel

Was thinking about getting some Petzlife gel, but its expensive and not sure how long the small 4oz bottle will last with 2 dogs, the bigger 12oz refill is better value but £57/$91 is a lot to pay out before trying it.

I'm getting confused by the information on Petzlife website and there's even less on the UK sellers. Throp would probably need the intensive month treatment and Hattie the maintenance as she's not long had a dental.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Petz Life gel is really effective, I was sold when Dr. Radcliffe endorsed it -- he's an exceptional vet who is very good with Greyhounds and is nationally known (in the U.S.) for orthopedics and speaks at conferences quite a lot....

You can Google Petz Life gel and probably get it a bit cheaper, I don't get it from the company -- you can get it from places life Amazon, for example. And you only have to use the tiniest dab of it. If you do it daily on the dog with the worst mouth (either the gel or the spray) it only takes a tiny little bit and you can just start by rubbing a wee bit on the upper teeth on both sides--- I dab a smidgen on two separate fingers and apply it when I'm just starting them. After they're more used to it, I'll put a little on the bathroom sink counter and take a bit on the toothbrush and apply that way .. but it is getting it into the mouth where it spreads via the saliva that does the trick. After a while, you can just chip the heavy tartar off.

I actually like brushing daily or every 2 days with an enzymatic toothpaste for dogs and then doing a smidgen of the Petz Life every other day for maintenance and daily for bad cases till they come round.

This post is horribly written-- forgive the grammar and repetition, I'm rushing ... but do give it a try because it's great!

I'm glad your happy with the results :)

It seems like its sold on Amazon through the same UK company so is same price unfortunately, though possibly some saving on the deliver charge. So do you think you need to use less than the suggested initial dose of 1tsp per day for large dogs for greys? As don't think the 4oz bottle would last a month that dosage, unless i've calculated it wrongly which is possible :blush.

I've been amazed at how well it's worked for my hounds. We probably brush two/three times a week and use the spray two times a week. They also get bully sticks once a week, which I think helps chip the loose plaque off. We get ours from Pet Edge - $36 for the big bottle, which we've had for a few months.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It worked well for two of my three dogs. Two dogs were litter mates and it helped one, but not the other. I really have no clue why -- everything I did was the same. Since one of your dogs teeth are in need of a dental, I would definitely use the recommended dose. In this case you would want to buy the large bottle. Four ounces equals 24 one teaspoon doses -- only 12 days supply for one greyhound with bad plaque. It took about 3 or 4 weeks of daily treatment for me to start to see a difference.

One of my dogs can't go under anesthesia. By the time I discovered Petzlife, her teeth were covered with tartar. Her gums were bleeding whenever I brushed them. The Petzlife was the last attempt at keeping the tartar under control. I was faced with either try Petzlife; do a dental without anesthesia (would be very difficult for this dog); or do a dental with sedation and hope it didn't kill her. Up to starting the petzlife, I brushed her teeth with an enzymatic toothpaste after breakfast and again after dinner. She hated this -- I can't say I blame her because if the gums are bleeding it must hurt. So for the first week I just used petzlife twice a day, at least 30 minutes away from any eating or drinking. Then I started back with my brushing regimen. So I would feed breakfast, then immediately brush teeth. Get ready for my day and then did the petzlife (I just put it on my fingers and rubbed it along the gumlines on the outside of the teeth). After dinner, I would brush teeth again. Before bed, I used the Petzlife. It took about 6 weeks for the tartar to soften up enough to be "brushed off" when I used a toothbrush. This tartar never came off when I was doing just the toothpaste and brushing twice a day. It is really important during this stage to keep up with the regimen, or at least do the petzlife once a day. Otherwise the tartar will harden again and you have to start over again.

If the teeth are in good shape, I would use the Petzlife once every other day in a slightly smaller amount -- about 3/4 teaspoon. On the off days, I brush with toothpaste. So for one greyhound, my maintenance dose is a bit less than 2 ounces of gel.

I think the gel works better than the spray, but others say the spray works okay for them. The flavor doesn't really matter. My dogs don't like the taste of any of them. I bought some of the salmon thinking they might like it better, but they didn't. The only think it did was give their breath a slightly fishy smell for a little bit. I am going back to the mint flavor next time I buy it.

Hope this info is what you were looking for.

Jane

edited to add: a 12 ounce bottle here is $43 to $50 on Amazon. I don't know what the costs are to ship from US to UK, but if the petzlife works for you, perhaps you could have someone here buy several bottles and ship it to you?

Edited by joejoesmom

I bought the small petzlife gel and spray combo pack (mint flavor--I don't want to purposely give my dogs fish breath!) on amazon about a month ago and, so far so good. I am brushing their teeth about 4 times a week with the gel and then I follow right behind with the spray. I do this right before they go to bed at night. Also it seems like a little goes a long way.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

If the teeth are in good shape, I would use the Petzlife once every other day in a slightly smaller amount -- about 3/4 teaspoon. On the off days, I brush with toothpaste. So for one greyhound, my maintenance dose is a bit less than 2 ounces of gel.

I meant to say that my maintenance dose is 2 ounces per month per greyhound. If I was better at brushing their teeth every day, I could probably cut this in half.

Thanks :) I'm glad to see its worked well for most dogs at least.

I'll perhaps stick with the enzyme toothpaste i've got for Hattie for the time being and just use it on Throp as looks like it will be too costly for both even at maintenance level. Shame its so much more expensive in UK, i'll have to look into shipping costs from US to see if that's an option but would probably be my luck to get stung by customs!

Guest greygirls2

Try Petedge.com that's where I buy the PetzLife and it's a lot cheaper. I imagine they will ship to the UK, you'd have to check.

• 3 months later...
Guest happygrey

Let me know if you want to buy it and have it sent to me and I will send it over to you. If I said it was a gift, could it slip through customs?

Thanks for your story, Jane...Carrie's teeth are very bad and were when I got her a year ago. Since she's 13, and also has a neurological event in her medical history, I really hesitate to put her out for a dental. Her teeth are BROWN. I am going to try to do the brushing after meals and use the Petzlife gel (actually ours is Vetzlife but same thing) like you did and see if that helps at all.

I prefer to use the minty one over any of the other kinds...it really does help their breath...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FullMetalFrank

I like the mint spray. It takes 5-6 squirts in each dog's mouth; when we are really working on the plaque I use it once or twice every day. I think a 2 oz. bottle lasts just under a month at that rate; I buy the 8 oz and refill; the 8 oz. here in the US is about $39 on Amazon with free shipping. It really does work!

Guest poofmagk

We have been using Petzlife lately due to Oliver's teeth being in bad shape but I was a bit concerned about reviews on Amazon saying that it caused serious liver problems in some dogs due to the high alcohol content. I think most of the people were referencing smaller breeds in those reviews. I was wondering if anyone knew if it has an effect on Greyhounds livers?

I like the mint spray. It takes 5-6 squirts in each dog's mouth; when we are really working on the plaque I use it once or twice every day. I think a 2 oz. bottle lasts just under a month at that rate; I buy the 8 oz and refill; the 8 oz. here in the US is about $39 on Amazon with free shipping. It really does work!

That's what I use and where I get it too. I just spray their mouths every other night or so and it is absolutely amazing how beautiful it keeps their teeth. Would spray on every night when first beginning. But at most just have to flick off a little tartar once a month since starting this and that only on one dog. I also feed raw and turkey necks etc. so that probably helps too.