Obsessive Licking - Giving Herself Sores

Guest zombrie

Guest BlackandTan

Update:

I am on spring break and Minerva and I have been with my parents and the rest of the pack for a few days. She has stopped the licking :eek Not just that, her other issues have disappeared. Nothing in her diet has changed or anything. I'm thinking it's being with the other dogs, she is so much more confident and relaxed with them. I really don't want to get a second dog! :lol :lol :lol I'm going back to my apartment today, it will be interesting if her issues come back.

I know a lot of good dogs if you need one! LOL

Guest zombrie

It's weird...Gussie did this too for the first few weeks. She had little sores on the insides of her front elbows and had worn her fur very thin where her front legs meet the rest of her body. She would do it a lot when she was laying down in her bed. Then she just stopped. I think it was stress. Hope it's the same for Ms. M and she'll stop doing it now! Glad to hear she's getting along with the other dogs.

I'm thinking that this is what it is, she is still new and it's soothing to her.

And I'm so relieved she is so good with the other dogs now, I was really worried for a couple weeks. She loves the greyhounds, she is still iffy with the non-greys but she has made HUGE progress.

Update:

I am on spring break and Minerva and I have been with my parents and the rest of the pack for a few days. She has stopped the licking :eek Not just that, her other issues have disappeared. Nothing in her diet has changed or anything. I'm thinking it's being with the other dogs, she is so much more confident and relaxed with them. I really don't want to get a second dog! :lol :lol :lol I'm going back to my apartment today, it will be interesting if her issues come back.

I know a lot of good dogs if you need one! LOL

:lol :lol I've thought about it but I don't think it's the right time :P

If it IS itchiness, I suggest you try the following...

Allergroom shampoo I got this from my vet, and it helped.

And

Bag Balm (click here). Once or twice a day for a couple of weeks; apply liberally. Dog may want to lick it off, so cover the area as necessary for a little while (socks, t-shirt, etc)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).