Weird Behavior With Cats

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

Senko our new foster is weird with the cats.... She is scared of them if there is nothing in between them I.E couch , gate , or anything else for that matter... When there is something in between she is getting like what I think is super playful??? Making growling type sound but not showing teeth or anything and whining.. She seems to want to just smell the cats when they are close( I hold the cat and bring them to her

Gary and Diago were super easy! Any similar experiences and what was the outcome??

Edited by BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

I think I thought wrong her intensity towards them has been increasing by the hour... She is growling and getting more aggresive towards the cats...

Tough to say without seeing it but be sure you are using muzzle / leash / separations if you feel the intensity is escalating and/or her focus is unwavering.

Our newest addition was tested completely cat safe yet she'd chase them around the house right away. She would even mouth them, paw them, etc. but we learned very quickly she just wanted to play. For now, use the tools you have to protect your cats until the foster figures out they aren't food. Good luck!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest zombrie

I don't have cats, so I don't have any advice to give you..

But I can say that I had issues with Minerva with other dogs, big or small. From a distance she is terrified of them (tail touches her belly, cowers, hides behind me) but when they get close, she growls, and on a couple occasions, she has snapped.

I was nervous about it because my parents have 4 dogs and she will be around them constantly. But all she has needed is TIME. She is still a bit afraid of dogs in the distance, but she now rarely acts aggressively.

I think it is just a strange adjustment period. I almost see it as she doesn't know what the heck these fuzzy things are and she felt she needed to protect herself and now she's figuring out they aren't so scary.

I know it's way different because Senko is doing it to cats, not dogs, but I thought I'd share anyways... I hope things smooth over quickly and people with experience with this chime in!

No matter of cat test result, cats are new creatures to newly retired hounds, so hound's reactions can be unpredictable. (Three cat tests could show 3 different results depending on hound's circumstance, and environment.) They can surprise us if cat runs, and hound's chase/prey instinct kicks in, or if cat scares dog and dog snaps in fear.

Like Trihounds posted, please keep a muzzle on the foster dog as long as needed (days or more) until you can be sure. Even a young, playful hound can harm a cat by pouncing on it with long legs and paws. Your foster could being seeing the cat as prey. They do whine and growl when they can't get to prey.

Also, it's good to keep muzzled hound leashed to you inside at first until you have a better indication of reactions with smaller animals. Dogs are faster than a human trying to run interception.

Make sure cats have escape routes, and don't leave cat alone with foster dog at all.

When hound is reacting that way towards cat, are you able to verbally call dog's attention away from cat? If not, keep hound crated or otherwise safely separated from cat by secure doors until you can contact your adoption group to evaluate your situation. Usually, a hound fearful of cats is ultimately okay living with cats, but best to plan for safety first. Other hounds are considered "cat workable" and can learn to live with cats over time. Others are non-cat workable.

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest BlackandTan

Yah after reading a lot of info I dont think she is cat safe.. The way she reacts to them isnt pretty. Its so weird because if there is nothing between them she is scared of them. The scond there is something between them she goes NUTS, its getting to the point where verbal sounds are snapping her concentration on them. I tried the water bottle trick last night which worked but then she was right back to it...

Guest BrianRke

Yah after reading a lot of info I dont think she is cat safe.. The way she reacts to them isnt pretty. Its so weird because if there is nothing between them she is scared of them. The scond there is something between them she goes NUTS, its getting to the point where verbal sounds are snapping her concentration on them. I tried the water bottle trick last night which worked but then she was right back to it...

I agree. The behavior you described would lead me to lable her "not cat safe".

Guest mariah

What a bummer, it doesn't sound to me like she's cat safe, either. Could be that her initial, more subdued reactions were the result of being stressed in a new home.

We took a chance on Gussie, as she was not thought to be cat safe because of her background. She was/is much more interested in the cat than Chips was (he completely ignored her), but the interest is obviously good-natured and playful (lots of bowing, etc...looks very different than when she sees a squirrel outside). That's obviously not ideal, either, she could do inadvertent damage to the cat this way, and we're working with her on this...but if she had behaved in the way you described, I'm afraid she wouldn't have been able to stay.

ETA: How do the cats react to her? One of the other tip-offs for us was that Woolite (who is a major wimp of a cat) never seemed all that worried about Gussie. I suppose it depends on the personality of your cats, but since they're so small and vulnerable, I think most of them would be sensitive to a dog that was eyeballing them the same way she would a tuna sandwich.

Edited by mariah

Guest verthib
1330564901[/url]' post='5179898']

Senko our new foster is weird with the cats.... She is scared of them if there is nothing in between them I.E couch , gate , or anything else for that matter... When there is something in between she is getting like what I think is super playful??? Making growling type sound but not showing teeth or anything and whining.. She seems to want to just smell the cats when they are close( I hold the cat and bring them to her

Gary and Diago were super easy! Any similar experiences and what was the outcome??

When you hold the cat and bring it to her, is she muzzled? I would never force my cat near a dog if it's been growling. There is no way to know if it's playing or what the dog is actually thinking. I would just let the introduction occur naturally going forward. Do you gate them separate to ensure the cat's safety when you're gone?

Guest BlackandTan

Yah the dog is always muzzled unless the cats are locked away... The dog is crated when we are not home... We locked the cats up today to ensure Senko as much of a stress free day before going back.. It stinks but I think damage can be caused if she stays longer.

Guest verthib
1330569017[/url]' post='5179957']

I think I thought wrong her intensity towards them has been increasing by the hour... She is growling and getting more aggresive towards the cats...

How long have you had her? Others here can attest to the fact that I had the same issues with Angus and we didn't think he was cat safe. Now he lives with two cats. We taught him 'no kitty' but it took months for us to let them all freely roam together without being on alert. It just may take some time. I would try some positive reinforcement training around the cat. For example call the dogs name and when it can redirect/look away from the cat you praise and give a treat, or redirect with a toy, anything to break the focus. We did redirecting for weeks. We even do it now when we notice he's staring at a cat for a bit too long. We still reinforce the no kitty command every now and then to keep up the skill, and it has come in handy because we use that command for little dogs too.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you can stop her interest in the cat with a simple spray of the water, she is workable. BELIEVE ME. I do cat testing, and have had many fosters. If you can break the "trans" with a spray bottle or verbally, then you can work things out.

To do this you will need to work at it. What I do is to have two people. One person has the hound with leash and muzzle on. Second person brings cat into the room on the other side. call the hounds name, if she looks, treat her. repeat repeat repeat.

If your cat is a fighter (meaning the cat will swipe and hiss at the hound), then allow your hound to approach the cat slowly (make sure the cat cannot go anywhere-run) and then let the cat teach the hound a lesson. The hound should have muzzle and leash on again.

If you have the cat teach the hound a lesson, and do the desensitization from across the room. You should see improvement in a week or so. At all times you need to be sure the hound is muzzled and the cat has safe zones. Preferably you have baby gates set up strategically around the house 6" above the ground so to facilitate quick exit by the cat should you not catch the hound if she bolts after the cat. You should also not allow the hound to chase, it will be a self-rewarding behavior that will make things difficult.

Also, if your hound exhibits hunting, puffing of cheeks, inability to be distracted, whines, drools, or pants when in sight of the cat, or shortly after, these are signs of a hound that views the cat as prey and is a very dangerous situation for the cat.

Chad

Guest verthib
1330633218[/url]' post='5180291']

it has only been a few days.... Did he go nuts barking growling and such?

More than that. Barking, growling, chasing, lunging. We almost returned him. He just took more time to figure out what the strange little furry creatures were. Some dogs aren't cat safe but I'd give it two weeks if your household can take it. Consistent training with some positive reinforcement is required. And do not let the dog be alone with the cats. Use a muzzle generously. It's tiring to be on guard all the time but you'll have to do that at first. We didn't yell or hit. We were firm with the no kitty, and we didn't wait for him to freak out. If the cat walked into the room, right away we got the attention of Angus and tried to hold his attention with a toy, treat, etc. I guess to show him that the cat walking into the room is a non-event. But you need to decide if you're up for it. If you have small children it will be even more challenging Judy because of the natural distraction that kids are.

Guest verthib

Thanks everyone.

You gave me hope.. im not going to give up on her! Fingers are crossed

Will be crossing my fingers for you :)

Guest BlackandTan

Thanks everyone.

You gave me hope.. im not going to give up on her! Fingers are crossed

Will be crossing my fingers for you :)

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Guest DragonflyDM

We are making a lot of progress with her!

Boomer is finicky about the cats. My one cat, Cheesit, just wants to hang out and the other, Maus, is afraid. Boomer is mostly indifferent, but he certainly doesn’t feel comfortable with the cats crawling on him without some serious taming by me while they are doing it. However, I think in time that Boomer will just get used to it, or the cats will learn that when he growls it is a sign to leave him alone. At the same time, Boomer will sometimes growl when I am in bed and I thinks he forgets he crawled into bed with me and I was there first. So I just remind him that I am there and it is OK…he calms down and chills out.

Not everything comes easy, but in time it does usually come.

These photos aren’t everyday occurrences but they happen.

423504_2943155332029_1055606049_32788574_1861511760_n.jpg

Sunday mornings are lazy times to get to know each other.

419593_2943166772315_1055606049_32788577_1925683242_n.jpg

420696_2943180492658_1055606049_32788586_203022999_n.jpg

419747_2773649294484_1055606049_32717539_2137769540_n.jpg