Melatonin

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

The dose is usually, I believe, 3mg. Although I don't understand the problem... "stoms"? Melatonin is a calming thing plus many people use it to try to encourage hair regrowth in their nekkid pups.

Edit: Oh, storms! Sorry! -- yes, you could certainly try melatonin. Or Rescue Remedy/Animal Rescue. Many pups respond well to Thundershirts, too.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

10mg was the advice from my holistic Vet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

The dose is usually, I believe, 3mg. Although I don't understand the problem... "stoms"? Melatonin is a calming thing plus many people use it to try to encourage hair regrowth in their nekkid pups.

A typo, I think, for "storms." If the OP is in the South... we're having colorful radar tonight.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest goofydog

In the southeast with storms tonight and I gave 6mg with dinner. Big boomer just came through so I'm considering another 3mg before bed. He's good with up to 12mg a day depending on the severity of the storms(73# male).

And he has a really fuzzy butt :lol

Edited by goofydog

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

How much can i give an 80lb grey? We are having horrible storms and he is not handling them well

Thank you every one. I did mean storms..

Edited by 8_Greyt_Greys

My melatonin box says 1 strip (fast dissolving strips you put on your tongue) once a day and its 3 mg for humans. Why would a dose be higher for a grey? That doesnt make sense to me. Is pill form different strength?

Does melantonin work for sleeping too? I was told it does.... Doesnt seem to help at all

Its a natural reoccuring thing in your body that helps to regulate the time your body should sleep. Sometimes it takes a few nights of use to get the proper effect and put your body back into balance.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Melatonin tablets often help with sleeping (I believe it's considered a side-effect), but in an ideal situation, best to give about 1 hour before expected noises begin. After hound is nervous and hyped up, it's harder to get them to settle. I've given up to 7.5 mg to our largest male (up to 78 pounds) with excellent results, along with lots of inside calming noise like smooth jazz, and white noise (TV helps but has a lot of silent breaks between words). Also helpful if hound can stay in an inner center room of the house (not against outside walls/windows/upper roof).

My melatonin box says 1 strip (fast dissolving strips you put on your tongue) once a day and its 3 mg for humans. Why would a dose be higher for a grey? That doesnt make sense to me. Is pill form different strength?

I don't know the specific melatonin dose for greyhounds. But in other drugs--notably, thyroid meds and benadryl--greyhounds take larger doses than people take. In the case of thyroid meds, it's a much larger dose.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BrianRke

I don't know the specific melatonin dose for greyhounds. But in other drugs--notably, thyroid meds and benadryl--greyhounds take larger doses than people take. In the case of thyroid meds, it's a much larger dose.

And Diamond takes 3mg of Xanax and if I took that amount I would be in the floor :lol

Melatonin is sold here in 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg tablets. Frank and Diamond get 5mg every morning for hair loss/SA.

Guest BlackandTan

I gave 7.5 mg to Diago las night and I slept until 6!! That hasnt happened for a long time as a lot of you on here nay know from previous threads..