Powder Suddenly Limping Overnight

Guest kaotic1

Guest kaotic1

Hello,

My GH foster Powder went to the e-vet this morning. Last night he was perfectly fine but when my mother got up at 430am this morning she woke me up saying he couldn't get up. We were able to get him to stand but he would put NO weight on his right front leg. Called GPA-NW and we took him into the e-vet. Vet says he is in extreme pain in his right front elbow (both above and below), he is tachycardic (from the pain) and is running a fever.

Their x-ray machine is being repaired and won't be working for at least an hour so the gave him pain meds.

Fingers crossed PLEASE!!! He is 11 and has kidney disease. He isn't well enough to be hurt!

Jenn

UPDATE: He stood up in the car all the way home and walked right into the house. Then promptly lay on the floor and didn't move for 3hrs. I couldn't get him to even lift his head up. When I put his pill in his mouth and held his head up to get him to swallow he wouldn't do it. Wouldn't drink water. The only way I could get him to take his Rimydil was to put it in his mouth and pour a little water in after it... that made him lick and swallow.

He just lay there until my mom came home and then he found the strength to get up and greet her. Since then he has had some water and a bit of rice and chickie.

Edited by kaotic1

So sorry for you and Powder! :grouphug

Did he have any incidents running and playing lately? Trip on a step? Poor guy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending prayers for Powder and hugs for you!hope.gifhope.gifhope.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Lots of good thoughts for Powder, who has one of the sweetest faces I've ever seen.

Please keep us updated. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest kaotic1

So sorry for you and Powder! :grouphug

Did he have any incidents running and playing lately? Trip on a step? Poor guy!

Last night around 1130p I gave him a treat. He was hopping around and play bowing to beg for it. Come 430am couldn't stand and when we got him up couldn't put weight on it. He must have done something overnight. I wouldn't be surprised to find he slipped on the stairs in the night. I don't see any obvious injuries. We found him in the living room... which is about 15 feet from the steps so I don't know how he could have injured himself on the stairs and got down the hall. If he was hurt there you would think he would stop and lay on the dog bed that is 5 feet closer to the stairs from where we found him. It's a mystery!

Edited by kaotic1

Guest kaotic1

UPDATE: He has Cellutis(sp?)... I have no clue what that is... I researched it on line and it keeps talking about rashes, skin lesions, etc. He doesn't have that. He has no wounds at all. Anyone have any experience with this?

Guest kaotic1

Did they do any imaging yet?

Yes they did and they came back with celulitis... They said it was all around the bone but nothing had penetrated the bone. Which is good they think. Antibiotics and pain meds. I don't have the specifics since the vet spoke with GPA directly. They are brining him home to me at noon then I can ask all the questions. Poor fellow.

Sending good thoughts for Powder. I have no experience with cellulitis, hopefully someone here does.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

A friend of mines horse had cellulitis in a hind leg. He had it a couple of times.

There was a LOT of fluid build-up and the entire leg was extremely swollen and 'tight'. Very painful.

I believe they found he had a minor scratch on his leg that got infected.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Jake has had cellulitis a few times as a result of tick disease.

I would be doing a tick test, although having said that Jake's were neg. It took us almost 2 years to figure out what was going on. He had intermettent lameness, swelling and fevers with no obvious injury. Keep an eye on his leg, it can swell to scary proportions.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I hope Powder feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)