Lazy Greyhound

Hi All,

Zero's daddy here. First off Zero will be eight in April and he's doing great, my how time flys. The vet gave him a thumbs up on his checkup and said his teeth look great!! That's from brishing them daily. I think I posted something like this a while ago, but are greyhounds as lazy as I think they are? Zero just lays down all over the place. If he's on my bed and I need to make it he'll jump off and get on his bed and lay down. If I'm in the kitchen he lays on the rug right in front of the sink......convenient place eah :) He's a lazy boy indeed. I've also mentioned before that on walks he quite often lags behind me to where I'm almost pulling him along, no limping or anything, just lagging behind. However, when we walk with other greys he always walks in front of me. Sure, he's getting older, but I definitely like to keep him exercised. Other times he walks beside me, but more often walks behind.

Anyway, just a survey to y'all to ask, are your greyhounds lazy? Silly question right? "40 mph couch potatoes".

Sincerely,

Zeeo's Daddy

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest verthib

That's normal for my nearly 7 year old gray, and even normal for my 3 year old grey. Does he get play time other than a walk? For some reason Angus just seems to need to be off leash and get some energy out and then he's back to laying around everywhere.

That's normal for my nearly 7 year old gray, and even normal for my 3 year old grey. Does he get play time other than a walk? For some reason Angus just seems to need to be off leash and get some energy out and then he's back to laying around everywhere.

Yes, Zero like to play at home with his sqeaky toys. He also has those "greyhound" sperts of energy on his walk where he spins around.....freezes, spins around....freezes....growels....spins around....it's so funny.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest verthib

Yes, Zero like to play at home with his sqeaky toys. He also has those "greyhound" sperts of energy on his walk where he spins around.....freezes, spins around....freezes....growels....spins around....it's so funny.

Awwww that is great. He sounds normal to me !

But like you, I wrote on this board asking the same thing last year. ;)

Edited by verthib

Those are the unmistakeable symptoms of "mad greyhound disease." There is no cure. Enjoy!

Also yes all mine have basically been like that but I don't think it is being lazy as such. I think it is just being a hound-which is one of the reasons I love hounds. Much easier to manage than the whirling dervish breeds to me.

Totally normal, but I foolishly wrote "high energy" on my adoption application. At nine, George never wants to stop walking, leaps to his feet more times in a day than I can count, and after 4 years continues to follow me from room to room.

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and his teeth look great, and I've never brushed 'em even once!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There is a very famous little greyhound on here called Rizzo. His family run an organised trail walk for dogs and often have to carry him. I wrote a blog about it which I titled 'The Very Lazy Greyhound' and Maria (RooRoo on GT) kindly gave me permission to use his picture ... sadly my blog is down at the moment due to teething problems with our new server, but when it comes back up I'll find the link and post it.

Meanwhile,

of Jeff 'swimming'. He is the epitome of laziness in the pool! He has progressed a little bit from there, and he can now do a weird kind of sidestroke where his back legs float sideways and he doggy paddles a little with his front legs feebly bent at the wrist. :lol

Seriously, greyhounds are not stayers. You might be asking too much in the way of distance from this particular one!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I once had to carry my grey on a hike. Count yourself lucky.

Are you the one that swung the greyhound over your shoulder? There's a pic of a greyhound being carried through a forest with other greyhounds...where is that pic?! :colgate

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Are you the one that swung the greyhound over your shoulder? There's a pic of a greyhound being carried through a forest with other greyhounds...where is that pic?! :colgate

I've seen that picture, but thats not me. I'm 5'3"and female. Thankfully Sailor was humiliated and after a few minutes I put him down and he walked perfectly due to his fear that I'd embarrass him again.

No, the greyhound slung over the shoulder is Rizzo - he's the one I was talking about, that I featured on my blog! As soon as it's back up and running, I'll post the link. I don't think RooRoo posts much here anymore.

Guest firegypsy

my husband likes to heckle the greyhounds. He asks them how many chores they've done to be so tired? He also tells them on occasion that he may as well have gotten a cat if all they're going to do is sleep all day (and night!) :lol

Summit is almost 7 and if I were to let him he would walk in front of me. I make him walk beside me. On hikes he is free to walk in front, beside, behind, so long as he doesn't cross right in front of me. Then he tries to lag because he's a sniffer and marker of things, but we easily go for 4-6 hour hikes on camping trips. He starts to lag at the end as he gets tired, but for the majority of it he's out in front.

At home he's pretty lazy and spends most of his time laying down, but if he hears my keys or any other sound indicating a walk might be happening he comes running.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mattbta

We've got a 4 year old foster now that is the laziest one I've ever seen. I was trying to crate him in the morning and couldn't get him off the dog bed. Tried to pull it out from under him...not budging. Lifted his legs up and they dropped right back down. I had to watch his chest for breathing as he seemed dead! He also takes his sweet time walking to the door to be let out. Oversized cats I say.

my husband likes to heckle the greyhounds. He asks them how many chores they've done to be so tired? He also tells them on occasion that he may as well have gotten a cat if all they're going to do is sleep all day (and night!) :lol

My husband just said to me the other day, we have a 70 pound cat who's litter box is outside. :lol

No, the greyhound slung over the shoulder is Rizzo - he's the one I was talking about, that I featured on my blog! As soon as it's back up and running, I'll post the link. I don't think RooRoo posts much here anymore.

That is one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

:lol:lol to the Rizzo story!

Your grey seems to sound fairly normal, I always find it hard to understand how Teague sleeps sooooo much. I try to play games or do fun indoor training with him but that might last 5 minutes and then he ambles off to his bed again. Having said that he jogs/walks at least 4-5 every day, and in terms of stamina, he can go for hours. He is young and I have worked him up to it though, I would imagine most older hounds wouldn't be so enthusiastic and energetic.

Do you walk the same route every time? Often dogs will perk up if they do new routes with new and exciting sounds and smells.

Here you go, we seem to be back up and running now!

Rizzo hitches a lift, aka 'The Very Lazy Greyhound'

I'm sorry, but you won't be able to comment on that story in my blog. There's a cut-off date for comments because that really does help to keep the spam down.

Edited by silverfish

I love it when they do this

I love those I ca them taz moments

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08