Baking With Glucosamine

This is a question for everyone out there who bakes cookies for their dogs. How much and what type of glucocamine (liquid or powder) should I use for baking? Magic currently gets a 1/2 teaspoon of Get Up and Go with his breakfast but I was thinking of adding glucosamine to home-made cookies just to give him a little more a day.

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

If your boy does have arthritis causing him enough pain to cry out (I know what's going on from the WFUBCC), he probably needs to be on an NSAID.

There are all kinds of people who believe glucosamine is useful, but I have never found it to be, and no orthopedic doctor I've ever seen for my own arthritis recommends it. Once the dog is symptomatic, and in pain, it's too late to rely on neutraceuticals. Your mileage may vary. You can find studies that show the stuff is a wonder supplement, and equally well researched studies that show it doesn't do much of anything.

I gave it to my Kramer for a full year before decided I was just adding my hard earned $$ to his kibble.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Whether glucosamine works or not, I wonder if heating it up via the baking would change its chemical composition in such a way that if it did work, it no longer would. Many meds, 'scripts and OTC, require the medicine to be kept between certain temps to be effective.

Whether glucosamine works or not, I wonder if heating it up via the baking would change its chemical composition in such a way that if it did work, it no longer would. Many meds, 'scripts and OTC, require the medicine to be kept between certain temps to be effective.

I don't know really anything about cooking with glucosamine, but since it is added to dog foods, which are baked, I wouldn't think that baking with it should affect it. JMO.

As for it's effectiveness, I had one old girl who was helped tremendously by it and another who it really didn't help at all. I think every dog is different.

Edited by june

Oh my - my favorite topic - natural ways to help arthritis.

First - baking with glucosamine

It won't hurt to put it in a baked treat, but from my readings I don't believe it will help a lot. I also believe that glucosamine in commercial treats and kibble is mostly a marketing ploy.

First, if it's baked in, then it does lose efficacy.

Second, a greyhound (or dog over 50 lbs needs 1500 mgs a day - (which is 1/2 tsp of Get Up & Go powder) That would be a lot of glucosamine in a treat, or making sure it's in the appropriate amount of kibble eaten.

A greyhound doesn't need more than 1500 mgs a day. It won't hurt, but it will just pass through his system and out the other end.

I find it's easy to add the powder glucosamine to some yogurt, cottage cheese, canned food or just put in a cheap, thin piece of deli meat, fold it, and pop in the mouth. I seldom have a dog turn that down. At a recent gathering, where i gave a talk, and had a tray of them on the table - one hound decided to eat half the tray before we saw him. Sneaky, i renamed him.

Watch for unnecessary things in liquid glucosamine. it's made to be palatable, and so there are sugars and other 'junk' in it.

Now about joint supplements.

They do work best before a dog is showing pain. At Sandy Paws, a orthopedic surgeon (who used to poo-poo the joint supplements) now says to give it all their lives. I say young, healthy hounds (just like us) creates their own, but I start to give joint supplements around 5 (if there is no broken condition, or a dog right off the track to warrant it earlier), and then add and subtract as needed for the individual condition. Knowing your dog is your best option. Watch how your dog gets up and down, how he/she plays, what he/she is licking, how they are walking. There are many signs.

Greyhounds will be in pain, and not show it usually until it's advanced. Crying out means definite pain. First visit a vet to make sure it's not something worse.

The supplements, and it's not just Glucosamine - though that is the foundation, can replenish synovial fluids surrounding the joints, repair cartilage and give a new lease on life. Many dogs need more than glucosamine - MSM, Chondroitin and Calcium Ascorbate are the other main supplements. CMO is good too.

Yucca Intensive is a product I will always have in my home. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. People have successfully take their dogs off Rimadyl and Deramaxx. Yucca has no side effects, and actually reduces the inflammation - which then allows the supplements to do an even better job of helping arthritic situations. I don't mean to sound like a salesperson - i just know these products work. Read Yucca reviews here.

Here are more reviews I've received - unsolicited - about the supplements. They make my heart sing, because these hounds all felt better without side effects. Testimonials

Every dog is an individual, and every situation individual. Treating preventively is always a good thing, and supplements are not expensive. Bought from your vet, yes, because there is a whole chain of people making money. I have a vet buying my glucosamine, and I was told he charges $36 a bottle. It's $14.95 at Greyhound Gang for a 2 month supply at 1500 mgs a day. Do just get one less fancy collar. :rolleyes:

sorry I went on so long. I just truly want people to be aware of options for their hounds which don't create more issues, and can help them have longer and healthier lives.

Traditional and holistic methods can all be part of the 'tool box' of what you review and learn about when making decisions about your loved hounds. Ahh - and don't forget acupuncture - very helpful too!

Happy to answer and help anytime with individual dog situations.

email - claudia

ok - stopping now. :colgate

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Oh my - my favorite topic - natural ways to help arthritis.

First - baking with glucosamine

It won't hurt to put it in a baked treat, but from my readings I don't believe it will help a lot. I also believe that glucosamine in commercial treats and kibble is mostly a marketing ploy.

First, if it's baked in, then it does lose efficacy.

Second, a greyhound (or dog over 50 lbs needs 1500 mgs a day - (which is 1/2 tsp of Get Up & Go powder) That would be a lot of glucosamine in a treat, or making sure it's in the appropriate amount of kibble eaten.

A greyhound doesn't need more than 1500 mgs a day. It won't hurt, but it will just pass through his system and out the other end.

I find it's easy to add the powder glucosamine to some yogurt, cottage cheese, canned food or just put in a cheap, thin piece of deli meat, fold it, and pop in the mouth. I seldom have a dog turn that down. At a recent gathering, where i gave a talk, and had a tray of them on the table - one hound decided to eat half the tray before we saw him. Sneaky, i renamed him.

Watch for unnecessary things in liquid glucosamine. it's made to be palatable, and so there are sugars and other 'junk' in it.

Now about joint supplements.

They do work best before a dog is showing pain. At Sandy Paws, a orthopedic surgeon (who used to poo-poo the joint supplements) now says to give it all their lives. I say young, healthy hounds (just like us) creates their own, but I start to give joint supplements around 5 (if there is no broken condition, or a dog right off the track to warrant it earlier), and then add and subtract as needed for the individual condition. Knowing your dog is your best option. Watch how your dog gets up and down, how he/she plays, what he/she is licking, how they are walking. There are many signs.

Greyhounds will be in pain, and not show it usually until it's advanced. Crying out means definite pain. First visit a vet to make sure it's not something worse.

The supplements, and it's not just Glucosamine - though that is the foundation, can replenish synovial fluids surrounding the joints, repair cartilage and give a new lease on life. Many dogs need more than glucosamine - MSM, Chondroitin and Calcium Ascorbate are the other main supplements. CMO is good too.

Yucca Intensive is a product I will always have in my home. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. People have successfully take their dogs off Rimadyl and Deramaxx. Yucca has no side effects, and actually reduces the inflammation - which then allows the supplements to do an even better job of helping arthritic situations. I don't mean to sound like a salesperson - i just know these products work. Read Yucca reviews here.

Here are more reviews I've received - unsolicited - about the supplements. They make my heart sing, because these hounds all felt better without side effects. Testimonials

Every dog is an individual, and every situation individual. Treating preventively is always a good thing, and supplements are not expensive. Bought from your vet, yes, because there is a whole chain of people making money. I have a vet buying my glucosamine, and I was told he charges $36 a bottle. It's $14.95 at Greyhound Gang for a 2 month supply at 1500 mgs a day. Do just get one less fancy collar. :rolleyes:

sorry I went on so long. I just truly want people to be aware of options for their hounds which don't create more issues, and can help them have longer and healthier lives.

Traditional and holistic methods can all be part of the 'tool box' of what you review and learn about when making decisions about your loved hounds. Ahh - and don't forget acupuncture - very helpful too!

Happy to answer and help anytime with individual dog situations.

email - claudia

ok - stopping now. :colgate

Claudia, as always we appreciate your input as you have done a lot of research that you can pass on to us.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Thanks for the insight. About a year ago, the vet tentatively diagnosed arthritis is his right front leg.

He's been on Get Up and Go since August. I just put a teaspoon on his food in the morning. The first couple of mornings he looked at it briefly and then gobbled his food down like normal.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

can you clarify for me?

Get Up & Go has many products. Glucosamine is the foundation, but there is also MSM, Chondroitin, vitamin C, CMO etc.

I'm making an assumption you are just using Glucosamine. This would be OK with some dogs, in some situations, but perhaps not with your dog.

questions -

How old is he?

Is he limping?

Is he licking the area?

Is he crying out in pain like someone mentioned?

How long has any of these things been going on?

when on the glucosamine did you see a change in any of his 'arthritic' behaviors?

If he's doing these things, you need to get him back to a vet for a better diagnosis. If it was just arthritis, the glucosamine would have helped him within a month. If it is arthritis only and advanced, then all of the products, including Yucca, would be good to give to him. Again, none of this is expensive.

2. You said you are giving ONE teaspoon. 1/2 tsp is all that is needed.

You are more than welcome to email me, or call me (435-644-2903) if you aren't sure what to do to help him.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!