A New Addition

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

Some of you may recall that I recently had to surrender a hound. My guy perked up after she left but clearly wasn't happy being an only hound. I was taking him for playdates, but it wasn't quite enough. I have been sending out feelers and spoke to a group about working with them to find a dog that had been fostered so we knew more about it's personality in a home. In the midst of this I spoke with the trainer from the track and let her know the issues we were managing. She had worked with both of my hounds and understood the difficulty in having those two together. I let her know I was speaking with a group about getting another that would be a better match.

Turns out she had one. She had a girl that she felt was the exact same personality as my guy and would get along with him perfectly. I went to meet her today, and suprise suprise, she came home with me. The group I work with I've known and worked with for over two decades so we were very open with each other that we were trying this to see if it worked. I'm holding my breath, but I think it will. She is a really sweet dog with a very gentle personality. I contacted the group I've been chatting with and let them know what's up. This was very unexpected, but hopefully it's a winning situation.

Here are some terrible pictures-we just got home about 2 hours ago, so I'm still trying to catch her. She's having a hard time leaving my side to I can take photos!

-30.jpg

-34.jpg

-32.jpg

-31.jpg

-33.jpg

She is gorgeous. Sometimes all you need is the right chemistry for it to work. Your pups look very comfortable with each other. Keep us posted on how she continues to settle in her new home. (What are you thinking of naming her?) She's a sweetheart! wub.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

She's beautiful! Sending lots of good thoughts that this will work out well for everyone!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest firegypsy

She does. This is Freya-racing name, Axius. http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=axius&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland

Freya is a velcro dog. Freya is currently hovering over my keyboard, inhibiting me from hitting the right keys. She hasn't left my side so far.

Paladin likes her, she seems to like him, but is a bit overwhelmed currently. Paladin has ceased roaching, but I think that will come back with time. Freya, I've been told, is also a champion roacher so I think they'll get into their routines quickly.

Guest verthib

So the important thing....how do the two dogs get along? What was the introduction like? Glad you're not making your other dog an only dog. Most like companionship.

Congratulations!

I hope everything works out well so you can start to breathe again.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest firegypsy

So the important thing....how do the two dogs get along? What was the introduction like? Glad you're not making your other dog an only dog. Most like companionship.

well, we got home last night around 7:30....and there's a twist to this story as well. I'll get into it in a different thread because I need some advice. But the intro was wonderful. They actually got along great. Paladin danced and pranced around when he saw her so I know this was the right choice. She's a stinky dog, and needs a bath but just got spayed so I'm not sure how long I have to wait. I have an email in to the rescue to see if there were instructions.

She's an absolute LOVE. She wanted to sleep with Paladin, but he grumbled at her so she kept coming to me like "Momma, Y dat houndie so mad at meee?" and then repeating the cycle. Paladin is very patient and very gentle but likes his space when he's on his bed. There were two other beds in the room, but she wanted to snuggle!

They did go out happily together, and have been interested in each other so I think things are good! I'll be interested to see what things are like when they warm up to each other. But I'm thinking she'll remain a velcro dog. :lol

Guest PiagetsMom

Sending good thoughts for an easy settling in for both the pups.

Mirage and Piaget always co-existed very well. I had hoped that Mirage and Maya might be closer, perhaps play together or snuggle, but they don't. Maya's only been here for 3 months, so we'll see, but once again I seem to have a combination that co-exists together, and I'm happy with that.

Freya is a very pretty girl - Congratulations! :)

Guest tinams8

She sounds very sweet! I hope Paladin is quick to learn that!

I wonder if her smelling like the vet is making him less receptive to being near her. I'd give her a gentle bath. I had a c-section once (there's an odd comparison!) and they had me shower normally 24 hours later. At least give her a quick wipe down.

Guest firegypsy

I'd really like to. She doesn't smell like the vet really....but like the kennel. And her hair had that dirty, oily feel too it. Ick. She got picked up from the vet and brought back to the rescue until this weekend so she was in better shape, and Paladin was in better shape. As a result she's princess stink.

She looks like a real sweetie :wub: I have a velcro dog, most of the pictures I have of her (unless she is sleeping) also have my hand in the picture as I am trying to push her back enough to take the picture :lol

After two years, my two girls just started sharing a bed and snuggling a couple of months ago, so there is hope!

Guest tinams8

Oh my goodness! They are like old pals!

I know exactly what smell you are talking about, because I help with the baths sometimes and it sounds like she might not have gotten one...and even if she did, I'm sure she's ready for another by now. that's why I'm encouraging you to go for it. :lol

I'm so glad it is going well! I'm looking forward to lots of great pics of these two!

It's hard to tell where one stops and the other one begins :wub: Congratulations!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

even with the stitches? I'm sooo tempted. :blink:

Well, even though I'm human, they allowed me to shower normally 24 hours after getting stitches on my side/hip area (skin biopsy)...so as long as you don't shoot the water stream at that area, it may be ok? Just try to keep the soap/shampoo away from there unless it's really mild.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest firegypsy

even with the stitches? I'm sooo tempted. :blink:

Well, even though I'm human, they allowed me to shower normally 24 hours after getting stitches on my side/hip area (skin biopsy)...so as long as you don't shoot the water stream at that area, it may be ok? Just try to keep the soap/shampoo away from there unless it's really mild.

thank you. I've been holding off, but I do think that Tuesday is going to be bath day. That's dh's day off so I'll have reinforcements....

so far so good?

-40.jpg

That's some snuggle! lol.gif Poor Paladin. blush.gif

Glad everything is working well. She's beautiful! wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis