Raw Food Diet

Guest DragonflyDM

Well done Boomer! clap.gifchow.gif

Will you be a good boy & eat on a towel? Keeps everything cleaner that way. wink.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest DragonflyDM

He prefers to put the food on that pillow, but today it was warm enough and I fed him outside. Everyone things he is a real meanie now! He has a rep!

432052_2925889580396_1055606049_32780071_802661794_n.jpg

431618_2925887500344_1055606049_32780070_1203094876_n.jpg

427560_2925883860253_1055606049_32780068_624302928_n.jpg

In addition, he is finally got solid poops and he only really goes for one good poop a day and one light one on occasion now, which is great.

Guest greyhound9797

Awesome for you AND Boomer! I love the pic straight on with a leg hanging out of his mouth! It's amazing how quickly the benefits of raw are seen, isn't it? MeMe poops about the same amount as my cats who I can't quite convince to eat raw. Keep up the good work!

Sandra

Guest DragonflyDM

Awesome for you AND Boomer! I love the pic straight on with a leg hanging out of his mouth! It's amazing how quickly the benefits of raw are seen, isn't it? MeMe poops about the same amount as my cats who I can't quite convince to eat raw. Keep up the good work!

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. I am going to go for awhile on chicken, but I am thinking that at some point I will have to supplement with something. Still researching.

It's good to just use one source in the beginning, but eventually you will have to add in some red meats, organs, etc. Not too difficult though. I would suggest (if you haven't already) getting a book on raw feeding. I have a library here, and just ordered another by Lew Olson. It is really good and has some simple feeding plans. There are a bunch of other good ones too of course, but I found the books really helpful in the beginning. :)

Guest DragonflyDM

Just to give a quick update. It has been a couple of weeks and I will share what I have experienced.

1. With a Bottom Dollar grocery next to Petco, my food costs have gone down considerably. I can get either 10 quarter chickens for $3, or if they are out of that I can get 8 chicken legs for $1. Chicken inners are $1. So it is costing me about $4-5 a week to feed Boomer. I think that comes out to equal to what I was paying in kibble and a huge savings from canned (I was pay $2/can).

2. He is very excited to eat, but he doesn’t rush the bowl like he is starving. In fact, he might even come over to me first and get a good petting first.

3. He has stopped the constant licking of himself (but not of me)

4. He defecates usually only once a day and much smaller amount

5. He eats much slower because he has to chew his food.

6. My life and shopping is so much easier.

Guest greyhound9797

Just to give a quick update. It has been a couple of weeks and I will share what I have experienced.

1. With a Bottom Dollar grocery next to Petco, my food costs have gone down considerably. I can get either 10 quarter chickens for $3, or if they are out of that I can get 8 chicken legs for $1. Chicken inners are $1. So it is costing me about $4-5 a week to feed Boomer. I think that comes out to equal to what I was paying in kibble and a huge savings from canned (I was pay $2/can).

2. He is very excited to eat, but he doesn’t rush the bowl like he is starving. In fact, he might even come over to me first and get a good petting first.

3. He has stopped the constant licking of himself (but not of me)

4. He defecates usually only once a day and much smaller amount

5. He eats much slower because he has to chew his food.

6. My life and shopping is so much easier.

Amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad to hear that it's working out for both of you. Usually if people try raw then stop it's due to their own reasons, not because their dog isn't taking to it. In fact, I've never heard of a dog that couldn't eat it. Maybe there were some kinks that needed to be ironed out like less food, more bone, along those lines, but it sounds like it's benefiting both dog AND human!

Keep up the good work and ask questions when you need to. Pretty soon he'll be on to a new protein!

Sandra

Guest adknut

I've been feeding raw for years. The kids love it. I purchase my raw in bulk from a local poultry shop. Feeding raw has become so popular that 50% of their business is now preparing BARF diet from their poultry scraps. Please read Dr. Ian Billinghurst's book "Give Your Dog A Bone". It's very informative and a quick read. Hope you make the switch. You'll be glad you did :)

I haven't read the responses, but if you're thinking of going raw, read up on prey model as well. Personally, I think BARF is a lot of unnecessary work and/or expense. I started feeding raw with Neyla, but ultimately as I read up on prey model, I switched her over and that's what both Zuri and Violet are on now. So much easier and ultimately I feel more appropriate. The proof is in the pudding as they say. ;)

BTW, Billinghurst's book, while useful in a lot of ways, is outdated (unless there's been an update I don't know about). He's even admitted he doesn't think everything he originally suggested is necessary.

Oh, glad to see you've already started and are seeing some good results. This may sound weird, but even now after years of feeding this way, I still take great pleasure in watching my dogs eat their meals and seeing the results (healthy coat, stool, etc.) from doing so on a regular basis.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

edited...I'll start a new thread!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg