Edema After Amputation

Guest kellygreyhound

Guest kellygreyhound

Hi, my girl Kelly broke her rear leg last weekend while playing and long story short amputation was recommended after the radiology report found evidence that there may be tumors :( Her amputation was on Monday afternoon and she's almost coming home today (yay!!!). She's getting around well and seems perkier and more like herself with each passing day, but she had a LOT of bruising (still does though it's not increasing) and now has quite a lot of edema. Just wondering from other grey owners who've been through an amputation, what their experiences were with bruising and edema AND how long does this edema last (what's normal, not normal??) and should I be doing anything that may help minimize it. It sure looks painful to me...

Our Charlie did have bruising after his amp for between 10-14 days post-op if I recall correctly. We did apply a cold compress to the area as that seemed to provide some comfort for him. That is good news she is coming home today! I hope she recovers quickly and it will surprise you how quick she'll be back to her normal self.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Take the time to read trough the Osteo Thread, it will give you a LOT of information and support. There are many people there who have been through this and can help you on this journey with your girl.

To answer your question, swelling and bruising are completely normal following an amputation. Most of it will resolve on its own in time. You can do warm compresses several times a day to help increase the blood flow and move the fluid through the area.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sorry you are joining the OS club. But I'm glad she's coming home.

My Dima had bruising and a little edema. We did the warm compresses. I also wrapped her with vet wrap when she got up to move around. Helped the fluid to get absorbed. Don't leave it on, just for when she's moving around.

I hope you have a fairly uneventful recovery and many years left with her.

My Dima was 12 when she had her amp and had a very happy pain free 6 months. OS came back in another leg and we sent her to the Bridge.

But don't dispair at the length of time. There are many who are using the word "year" in their post amp survival time.

As Chris suggested, do go through the Osteo threads. You will find lots of info, including post-amp pictures in some of the posts (I know I posted some of Twiggy about a week post op, and there are others, too).

Hopefully, testing will be done on the amputated leg to find out which type of tumor you are dealing with. Unfortunately, it usually is osteo, but there are other less bad types of bone cancers, too.

Twiggy had some edema in her chest and belly, and quite a bit of bruising down her whole belly, her remaining front leg, and even parts of her inner rear thighs. This got more vivid before it started to recede. I'd say that it was at least 2-3 weeks before the bruising was gone.

I'm glad Kelly is bouncing back so quickly. It sounds like she is in good spirits! I hope you are too. I've found that the most important thing for our quality of life is to enjoy the moments I can, just like Twiggy does.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Is she on Amicar? It can help with those things.

We still had edema with Pinky in the remaining leg for a week or so after surgery. I spent a lot of time massaging it to keep the fluid moving around so it wouldn't settle anywhere (that hurts!). I also alternated warm and cold compresses. She seemed to find relief from both.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest kellygreyhound

Thanks everyone--I've been doing warm compresses but I'll add massage & the vet wrap suggestion. Kelly is getting so much better at getting around! Unfortunately the biopsy puts us in the OS club but I'm just glad she's home demanding to get on the sofa like her usual self. I actually meant to post this to the osteo thread but missed somehow. Such a great help!