Recommendations For Dog Assist Walking Harness/lift System Needed

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

I want to be prepared, if needed. I now have 2 dogs with back issues, Tommy and Hilary, both seniors. Tom has had numerous incidents of his rear end going south as he walks. I cringe every time he goes to get up from laying on a bed. Will he be able to get up is alwsys the concern.

So, I want to have a harness/lift system available should one of the dogs ever need it. Please keep in mind that I am short and Tom is a tall male. He weighs 78 lbs and Hilary @68 pounds.

Thank you eveyone, I'm trying to be a good girl scout, PREPARED.

Nancy

Try the Help Em Up harness system http://helpemup.com/ I used it with my 85 lbs. boy last year when he couldn't walk and then needed support to walk due to neurologic problems. The neurology center had them and I got one when he came home. I'm small, 5ft 3in about 115 and was by myself, it let me help him get up and down stairs and support him. Couldn't have done it without the harness.

Ruffwear Webmaster is what I went for with a prior dog, non-GH. It was the original version which was not nearly as good as the current version. Still, it offered enough help when he needed it. His hind end was quite weak from a polyneuropathy. I used it primarly for helping him up & later to offer support for pottying. The newer version would have been even better. The Ruffwear packs we have are made on a Webmaster base harness. It fits my Greys well.

If a dog needs more support then the Double Back might be better. It can be used with or without the leg straps. I've not used this one before but have heard good things about it. http://www.ruffwear.com/DoubleBack-Harness?sc=2&category=1131

You may even want to try this one. http://www.etsy.com/listing/78900259/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=sr_gallery_2&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=greyhound+harness&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet= Again I haven't used it personally but have heard good things about it.

Another vote for Ruffwear. I used it with Dude after his amp and it works very well. Plus, it's adjustable so you can fit it just right for your pup. Easy on and off too. Very well made and sturdy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I bought the Ruffwear to use on Fletcher. He doesn't need it yet, but based on the way his arthritis is progressing, he will. I tried it on him and it fit well, seemed comfortable. I also liked the fact that it is adjustable in a lot of places, so I can use it for one of the other dogs if I need to.

Try the Help Em Up harness system http://helpemup.com/ I used it with my 85 lbs. boy last year when he couldn't walk and then needed support to walk due to neurologic problems. The neurology center had them and I got one when he came home. I'm small, 5ft 3in about 115 and was by myself, it let me help him get up and down stairs and support him. Couldn't have done it without the harness.

This one looked nice as it had two handles and you could either help at the front or the rear. Would it still work on a dog that had either a front or rear leg amputation?

Susan had / has one that she was using to help George of Noo England to get up 3 flights of stairs when he had some weakness issues. Not sure which one she used, might want to check with her since the one she used had to work for all of those stairs. She could provide you with info as to how much it "cut in" to him.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I really liked the rear harness, it helped a lot with the stairs. My house has 6 or 7 stairs to the front and back doors. :-( Going up I could lift his front up first and then the rear, so I didn't have to lift him all at once. Going down stairs, or just downhill, I could hold the rear to make sure he didn't get going too fast or just guide him better. It made it easy to lift his whole body at once and also made it really easy for two people to carry him if needed. I think it would work with an amputee, it has lots of ways to adjust the pads and straps. They make a boy and girl version. The boy version just has sort of curved bar/pad to prevent chafing or messes rather than a straight pad on the belly. When I went to get mine from a physical therapist he was out of the boy version in his size and he told me boys were usually fine in the girl version. I needed one fast, so I got the girl version and my boy didn't have any problems at all, no messes either. :-)

Guest FreddyGirl

I really liked the rear harness, it helped a lot with the stairs. My house has 6 or 7 stairs to the front and back doors. :-( Going up I could lift his front up first and then the rear, so I didn't have to lift him all at once. Going down stairs, or just downhill, I could hold the rear to make sure he didn't get going too fast or just guide him better. It made it easy to lift his whole body at once and also made it really easy for two people to carry him if needed. I think it would work with an amputee, it has lots of ways to adjust the pads and straps. They make a boy and girl version. The boy version just has sort of curved bar/pad to prevent chafing or messes rather than a straight pad on the belly. When I went to get mine from a physical therapist he was out of the boy version in his size and he told me boys were usually fine in the girl version. I needed one fast, so I got the girl version and my boy didn't have any problems at all, no messes either. :-)

Which rear harness?

Guest FreddyGirl

It's the Help Em Up harness, http://helpemup.com/ It has a combo front and rear harness. You can also use it with just the front or the rear harness, it unclips in the middle. They used them at the neurology center my boy was at last year.

I think this might be the winner!

So, the Ruffwear has wide enough straps so that when I raise his rear end it does not "cut into" him? Really hard to tell from the picture.

Yes, it does. I used one for Loca towards the end of her life. The e-vet was so impressed with the harness and said that it was anatomically perfect for greyhounds.

Having said that, the helpmeup harness looks great.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I bought the Webmaster harness for Piper when I was struggling to help him get up, stay up, and walk as we battled his GME. It is very sturdy, well made, and quite nicely adjustable, however, I found that it did not give me much lift/support help for his rear end. The single handle was over his back and gave me good control over his front end but I ended up still needing the "U" lift gadget the neurologist's staff made for me. I wish I'd seen this one at the time Double or that nice looking Helpmup one.

The Webmaster's straps are wide and have a nicely padded cover so it did not irritate Piper's skin. Looking at the picture of the double, it looks to me like the back strap has the same padded covering.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Another vote for the Ruffwear Webmaster, although I agree with those who have said it does a better job with the front end than the back. It's very comfortable, and can be safely left on a non-chewer for days at a time--both Cora and Dixie wore it after their FCEs so that I could get them on their feet and move them about.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest FreddyGirl

I bought the Webmaster harness for Piper when I was struggling to help him get up, stay up, and walk as we battled his GME. It is very sturdy, well made, and quite nicely adjustable, however, I found that it did not give me much lift/support help for his rear end. The single handle was over his back and gave me good control over his front end but I ended up still needing the "U" lift gadget the neurologist's staff made for me. I wish I'd seen this one at the time Double or that nice looking Helpmup one.

The Webmaster's straps are wide and have a nicely padded cover so it did not irritate Piper's skin. Looking at the picture of the double, it looks to me like the back strap has the same padded covering.

Thank you. This is what I suspected with the ruff wear, it's his rear end that's the issue.Meaning, the double back would be the one to get.

Edited by FreddyGirl

The Ruffwear Webmaster was a godsend when Atlas had issues late last year. I found it perfect to help him along when he'd have some rear weakness, or if he'd start to topple when pooping. He found it quite comfortable as well.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest FreddyGirl

The Ruffwear Webmaster was a godsend when Atlas had issues late last year. I found it perfect to help him along when he'd have some rear weakness, or if he'd start to topple when pooping. He found it quite comfortable as well.

Did he wear it 24/7? I ordered mine last night and it shipped today:)

I did have Piper wearing his Webmaster harness all the time without any problems. It was not easy to get it on him initially while he was lying down so I knew it would be impractical to put it on when needed, since he needed help every time he tried to get up.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread for my girl Doodles. She's going to need some extra help until she's completely back on her feet again. Ruffwear no longer makes the Webmaster. I'm seriously considering the Help 'Em Up harness. I need to make a decision today as I want to have it shipped either 2 day or overnight - she may be released from the hospital in the next few days. Any additional experience or advice since this thread came about?

I have a long walkway to get her home, 2 steps to get up into the yard for doing business or multiple steps down into the terraced yard. Clearly, we'll be spending time up top or doing business on patio.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have been using the HelpEmUp harness for a senior and cannot say enough good about it. Easy on and off too. Hugs to Doodles for her recovery.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

? Ruffwear is still showing the webmaster in their on line store.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.