"what Veterinarians Don't Want You To Know"

Guest BrianRke

Guest KennelMom

Hard to find anything to argue with in that article. Not sure there's any great secrets revealed...of course we have a vet in the family and we have spent a LOT of time with our vets so they practically FEEL like family :lol

I was really upset with a vet once, thinking she really wasn't up to the challenge, then found out she was in the middle of cancer treatments for her elementary-school aged daughter. I felt bad, wished I had known. She was new to the practice and I thought she was just out of school which wasn't the case.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

It is a good article but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about my vet. I've been with this guy for 12 yrs now and he's never let my hounds or me down. My hounds were the first greys he's ever seen (and still the only greys he's seen) but he rose to the challenge and educated himself. He's willing to explore new options and consult other 'grey savvy' vets if the need arises. I love my vet!

I'm sad to read about the holistic stuff being poo-pooed by most vets, it is very disheartening. I'm so lucky with my vet!

When I had to have my 10 year old chocolate lab pts because a very aggressivee cancer, my (old) vet seemed bereft of emotion. Come to find out that he had just put his heart dog to sleep the day before for something very similar. He had a very tough time dealing with me and my girl the next day as he was reliving it with us the next day.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

When I had to have my 10 year old chocolate lab pts because a very aggressivee cancer, my (old) vet seemed bereft of emotion. Come to find out that he had just put his heart dog to sleep the day before for something very similar. He had a very tough time dealing with me and my girl the next day as he was reliving it with us the next day.

The same thing happened with Bella. Dr .Joe the older doc saw us come in and disappeared. He called me two days later to tell me how sorry he was. He knew why we were there and had put his 16 year old cat down the day before. He was afraid he'd lose it if he came in.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That particular article is great. HOWEVER, the Irreverant Vet has another article pronouncing Greyhounds as particularly horrible with cats. Blanket statement. The end. Not only is he irreverant, but ill informed as well.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

That particular article is great. HOWEVER, the Irreverant Vet has another article pronouncing Greyhounds as particularly horrible with cats. Blanket statement. The end. Not only is he irreverant, but ill informed as well.

Doesn't look like a blanket statement to me...

"Greyhounds are particularly bad with cats. I suppose their training to chase the rabbit and then seeing a running cat makes it a difficult temptation. They have big mouths and long sharp teeth that can be lethal. This does not mean that ALL greyhounds are bad with cats but their instincts are generally not an ideal choice in a cat-loving household. "

He goes on to say that it depends on the dog and the cat. True. I've had dogs fostered with cats try to eat the kitten on springs in their new home) That they be fine with YOUR cats, but not with others (as in strays in the yard). True.

I'm on board with them generally not being the ideal choice. Think of all the cat zappers out there. They might be a good choice for some, but probably not ideal in most cases.

Guest KennelMom

If he said: Greyhounds CAN be particularly bad with cats.... It would read much better and more accurately, IMO. I also disagree that it's their training to "chase the rabbit" since most (racing) greyhounds are trained to chase a lure. It IS their instinct that makes them want to chase small fuzzies...so, I agree with that last line. His sentiment is fine, but the writing is terrible.

I'm sad to read about the holistic stuff being poo-pooed by most vets, it is very disheartening.

Most "holistic/alternative/complementary" stuff has no scientific basis and continues to either be proven of no benefit over placebo, or to do actual harm. I'd be alarmed if most vets didn't pooh-pooh it!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sad to read about the holistic stuff being poo-pooed by most vets, it is very disheartening.

Most "holistic/alternative/complementary" stuff has no scientific basis and continues to either be proven of no benefit over placebo, or to do actual harm. I'd be alarmed if most vets didn't pooh-pooh it!

When Rex was ill my then vet told me that accupuncture was the only alternative treatment that had a proven clinical track record. :dunno

May have changed since then? Or there may actually be some evidence for acupuncture & certain types of muscle/spinal pain. Most recent I've seen says no better than placebo for osteoarthritis.

ETA: Not saying every last bit of complementary/alternative/holistic medicine has no basis, but seems pretty clear that most don't. However, if we're talking "holistic" as in, strongly consider and support the animal's quality of life -- I'm all for that, and most vets I know are, too.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, there's the automatic dismissal of a potential treatment because they haven't learned about it, and there's the "I haven't seen proof that it works, so I'm holding back support for it until there have been studies." This is also true of feeding your dogs. Many vets are absolutely certain that they should NEVER eat raw anything because it is going to cause disease or illness or whatever - but how much of that is truly because of science and how much of it is just parroting the lines given them by the corporations that make pet food and sell it to them? There is a dearth of information on raw food for pets - because who is going to spend thousands of dollars to study and compare raw foods to commercial foods when there aren't huge multimillion/billion dollar corporations there to fund them?

I don't think that automatic complete dismissal of anything alternative medicine really does much. Even vaccination used to be seen as a "crazy" thing, back in the day and now it is a mainstay of preventative care. Knowledge grows about things, and some of the "alternative" things may have some actual positive effects. Some of it is likely pure hokum, but we don't know until we've done the research.