Dealing With Obnoxious Little Yappers

Guest amazing_gracie

Guest amazing_gracie

Interesting about the barking. PK doesn't usually bark when she's fixated. Instead, there's staring fixedly, tension throughout the body followed by shaking, foaming at the mouth then a high pitched whine. She would have the throat out in a hearbeat in that state. The barking happens when she isn't fixated but she is reacting to the other dog, whether because it's barking or bouncing around or it wants to play, looks threatening or is otherwise non-greyhound.

I've found that sometimes tightening up increases the reactivity, but this isn't consistent. I wouldn't mind the desire to play so much. It's more the other desires which bother me.

"Otherwise non-greyhound" gave me a laugh. I think my Gracie is a greyhound snob too. :lol

I too have found that tightening up on the leash increases reactivity - with the martingale. With the harness, it doesn't seem to matter, and her response is usually much milder than when using the collar. It's a trade-off. I have more control with the martingale, but also the possibility that she will be more reactive and injure herself in the meantime. I have less control with the harness, but also less of a violent reaction from Gracie and less of a chance that she'll injure herself. Whether we use a collar or a harness, I keep her close at heel on our walks.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, suggestions and encouragement! I appreciate it! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

Guest amazing_gracie

An update: Tonight when Gracie and I took our bedtime walk, we encountered 2 little yappers. The same dogs that usually cause a commotion. As soon as I saw them, I made our "look at me" sound. Gracie was already looking at them with interest, but was not excited yet. She turned to me immediately when I made the sound. I gave her a treat. The yappers kept coming toward us, and as soon as they caught sight of us, the yapping began. I kept asking for Gracie's attention and giving her a treat, while walking at a brisk pace. We made it past them without more than pricked ears and an interested look from Gracie! It gets better, though. As we made our way around the development, we passed them again. Gracie again looked at them with interest, but thankfully they were across a parking lot this time. I asked for her attention, but I had no treats left! I gave her crumbs from my pocket! We kept walking briskly and again made it past them without an incident. I'm SO proud of my girl! :colgate

By the way, this all happened with the martingale. It was chilly tonight so she was wearing her coat, which makes the harness impossible.

Edited by amazing_gracie

Guest sweetpea

Awesome!

I've always felt like Sebastian (my maniac) didn't want to act like a lunatic, he

just didn't know what else to do.

(He still has his moments, but he's improving and that's what matters most.)

Good work all the way 'round!

Buzzy