Diabetes Insipidus

it's been nearly a month since felix was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. his vasopressin tannate injection is now wearing off, we have been watching and waiting to see exactly how long the 5mg shot lasted. my vet treated another dog w/ the disease and it needed shots every two weeks.fortuantely my vet(who i have used forever) is more than willing to try variations of the "standard" treatment. i read(he now has the copy of "care of the racing and retired greyhound" about eye drops or applying the hormone directly on the gum.

i was wondering exactly what any of you have used, success, dosage(size of dog) and any other info.

thanks in advance for sharing your info.

Someone on the GT Facebook page said they were using the drops with success...that's all I know though.

Skimmie is probably going to have some testing for Cushing's or DI if his issues aren't improved by leveling out his thyroid.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

thanks krissn333~

Joanne Holt Randall Bitner is the name of the person on facebook, i wrote to her. my vet just gave felix a 5mg shot of vasopressin tannate and it started to work with in an hour! less urination,sipping water...he basically said it wouldn't harm him if it wasn't DI or else it would work. has your vet tried the vasopressin on your dog yet?

No, not yet. We're giving the thyroid meds time to kick in first.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--