Arthritis

Guest suzanne

Guest suzanne

Kelsis was lure coursing the Sunday before last and his gait just changed suddenly and he came off the field stiff and sore. He has slight swelling on one foot and bruising on his inner thigh. He is not sore or complaining however (he really gives out when he wants to). anyway, the vet has diagnosed spinal and hip arthritis :( :( No more lure coursing from here on in and a life of leisure from now. :( I am so sad for him as he lives to run. He received a cartophen injection and will get 3 more over the next three weeks. I have always fed all my dogs salmon oil and glucosamine but am now looking for a really wonderful quality joint/glucosamine supplement if anyone can recommend one.

I am so disappointed :( My poor boy. I just hope it won't get worse, he is only 8.5 and before that Sunday never had a moment's stiffness. It's hard to believe.

I swear by Springtime supplements Fresh Factor and Joint Health. Many stories about how well they work, but recently I had a 10 yr old bounce that had a hard time standing and his back end would give out. I started him on the supplements and his new adopters continued. He is now happily running in the yard with his brothers and running up and down the stairs!

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest suzanne

No but I personally have arthrities and my joints would regularly swell during a bad 'bout.' She did not say the bruising was connected and could not explain it - we think it may have happend from the day out coursing. I think I will ask for xrays next week?

I'm a bit worried about the swelling on the foot still - an 'odema' she called it I think.

My boy is still happily galloping up and down the stairs and onto the bed and sofa's.

I swear by Springtime supplements Fresh Factor and Joint Health. Many stories about how well they work, but recently I had a 10 yr old bounce that had a hard time standing and his back end would give out. I started him on the supplements and his new adopters continued. He is now happily running in the yard with his brothers and running up and down the stairs!

Just have to chime in the Fresh Factors and Advanced Joint Chewables really work this good. I have seen such things happen many times over the years I have used and recommended them. I also recently discovered Duralactin. Only have about 6 months experience with it but it seems to be very effective and is safe and relatively cheap to boot for long term. For acute injury I also like arnica, hypericum- if possible nervous system-spine involvement, and Traumeel.

No but I personally have arthrities and my joints would regularly swell during a bad 'bout.' She did not say the bruising was connected and could not explain it - we think it may have happend from the day out coursing. I think I will ask for xrays next week?

I'm a bit worried about the swelling on the foot still - an 'odema' she called it I think.

My boy is still happily galloping up and down the stairs and onto the bed and sofa's.

I wonder about the diagnosis as well. Arthritis usually doesn't have an acute onset. I'd think it'd be more like a muscle strain &/or a twisted toe.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

It's an "edema". Basically, just another word for swelling. There's two different kinds -- if you poke it and the dent stays is one. The other is if you poke it and the dent doesn't stay.

Sorry to hear your baby doesn't feel well -- here's hoping it turns out well! I'm with some of the other posters... I'm not familiar with rapid onset arthritis, I've only ever seen it come on gradually. I'm not comfortable with that arthritis diagnosi -- being rapid onset plus bruising and swelling plus occurring during his coursing run. Sounds more like a muscle pull or strain or something.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I would do x-rays as well, just to be sure. A glucosamine supplement is a good idea at his age, even without the arthritis! I also use Springtime's Joint Health & Fresh Factors. I have recently switched Fletcher to Arthrisoothe Gold to get some extras supplements (his arthritis is pretty bad), but he still gets Fresh Factors.

I agree with the other responses that questioned the arthritis diagnosis, especially if no x-rays have been taken. While it may be possible that your boy is starting to develop some arthritis at his age, it is not likely to be the primary cause of the sudden onset of signs during lure coursing. Much more likely to be an acute muscle and or ligament injury, as others have mentioned. Bruising on the inner thigh might be a mild gracilis muscle tear, a very common racing injury. And swelling in his foot may be a toe injury. Dogs do not typically get acutely swollen joints with arthritis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest suzanne

His toe isn't even swollen! It's the flat part above the foot facing forward if you know what I mean.

I'm a bit concerned after these responses. Well, it's probably good news really if the diagnosis is wrong. It seemed more likely to me that he hurt himself running and is taking a while to recover fully...