What Is Wrong With Nite's Feet?

Guest GreyKatie

Guest GreyKatie

Nite (Darcass the Nite, 6 years old, 95 pounds) has become increasingly lame in his forelimbs since early January. I thought we were being too active, so we gave him a break on the exercise for a few weeks. It seems that things are getting worse.

We had him at OSU two weeks ago for blood donation. We mentioned the limp, and they told us they didn't see it. They had an orthopedist do a quick check, and didn't find anything. They gave us some meds to treat a sore on his upper right leg. He'd been licking it incessantly and it was raw and oozing. While I was concerned that the licking stemmed from pain in the shoulder/bones, they said they couldn't find anything like that. They told us that if he's still limping in a month to bring him in again.

It's two weeks later, the wound is healed, and he's still limping. I had him out Friday night and he refused to walk on concrete (or basically anything except grass). I had read that this is a classic sign of corns, so I checked out his pads. Some of his pads on his forefeet are very hard, and he pulls back when we squeeze them gently (he doesn't pull back when we do the same thing to his "normal" pads). We felt that we saw some circular spots on his pads that could be corns, so we took him back to OSU.

There were no greyhound vets on staff when we took him in, and the vet on duty told us she didn't see him limping and couldn't find anything wrong with his feet.

We are not crazy. He is limping and painful. He no longer even gets up on the couch for walks, whereas he used to come running, pawing at the door to get out. He can't even handle short walks on hard surfaces outdoors.

What is wrong with my dog? We've fostered a lot of dogs, but he is our first greyhound as our own pet, and we've never faced this. We're upset that we can't find the cause of this. Help?!

I see his racing weight was 83 pounds. I think the recommended weight is something like 5 pounds over their racing weight. Has he thought about taking a few pounds off to see if that makes a difference?

He might have some corns that have not shown up yet. I wonder about x-rays of where he is licking to see if their is a change in his bone.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest GreyKatie

I see his racing weight was 83 pounds. I think the recommended weight is something like 5 pounds over their racing weight. Has he thought about taking a few pounds off to see if that makes a difference?

He might have some corns that have not shown up yet.

He is still quite lean at 95 pounds; very ribby with a lot of spine (his hip bones have never been prominent). I'd be hesitant to take too much off of him because he seems pretty skinny as he is. He has lost a few pounds since coming to us in June though.

Also, we have wet his feet and we see round areas that look and feel like corns, but the vets say they don't see the spots, and they don't see him limping. This is at OSU, where they don't examine the animal while it's in the room with you; they make you wait in the waiting room. So we haven't even been able to point out what we're seeing.

Guest GreyKatie

He's a tall black boy named Nite :) Not sure if I met you. I kind of hope not, because the last time I was there I was beside myself, and was being pretty bitchy. We spent $250 for the vets to tell us he's fine, but here's some Tramadol.

Edited by GreyKatie

He's a tall black boy named Nite :) Not sure if I met you. I kind of hope not, because the last time I was there I was beside myself, and was being pretty bitchy. We spent $250 for the vets to tell us he's fine, but here's some Tramadol.

Ah yes Nite- yup met you-- fwiw I didn't find you bitchy but, you did seem frustrated-- understandably so.

Nite's a handsome hound!

FWIW, Dixie had a corn that took more than 6 months to surface well enough to determine that it was a corn. We had ex rays done, had her on pain meds and she was still limping 3 weeks after the first ex ray. She went in for a dental and they did more ex rays while she was out so they could manipulate her leg better. Didn't find anything. When we went to the GEM event, we bought her a thera paws boot and walking improved tremendously. She went in for her annual late last year and low and behold there was a corn. We quit looking for a corn because we were never finding one. Now we will keep on looking if she starts to limp again.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Sounds so much like corns and what people with dogs who have corns tell me. And those people all swear by the Therapaw boots.

Wee little hijack: Just checked Northern New Jersey (tbhounds) to OSU in Columbus, Ohio, and it's something like 9 hours? You can't be commuting and that's a long drive even if you stay there all week. I'm so confused. :blink:

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Greyt idea-- maybe you should put about on Nite and see once he gets used to the boot if the limp reasolves. Another test your vet can do is ringblock (numb) the affected toes and see if he's still limping while the toes are numb.

I just wanted mention that it was a big duh on my part to ask his name-- duh, it was in the title of the thread!

Corns can be soooo frustrating.

This is at OSU, where they don't examine the animal while it's in the room with you; they make you wait in the waiting room. So we haven't even been able to point out what we're seeing.

That is WEIRD! So you don't get to talk to the vet with your dog there? I'd have a serious problem with that, let alone an invoice for a visit where I never got to explain anything.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Sounds so much like corns and what people with dogs who have corns tell me. And those people all swear by the Therapaw boots.

Wee little hijack: Just checked Northern New Jersey (tbhounds) to OSU in Columbus, Ohio, and it's something like 9 hours? You can't be commuting and that's a long drive even if you stay there all week. I'm so confused. :blink:

Actually 8 hours! (if the police are looking the other way!) I had my girl Shannon at OSU to be under Dr Coutos care-- thyroid carcinoma. It's a long drive but, it's where we needed to be. Looks like I might be headed back there soon :-(. I'm not the only one to make such a long trip- i could name a few other GT members that have traveled just as far if not farther. Hijack over.

This is at OSU, where they don't examine the animal while it's in the room with you; they make you wait in the waiting room. So we haven't even been able to point out what we're seeing.

That is WEIRD! So you don't get to talk to the vet with your dog there? I'd have a serious problem with that, let alone an invoice for a visit where I never got to explain anything.

Actually, you do. I believe the op was there to have Nite donate blood- little bit of a different situation.

Usually, you see a senior student first then, the resident, surgeon etc... I always saw the Dr(s) and everything was always gone over with me very thoughly. The discharge papers have always been accurate and explained to me in detail. I'm actually surprised to read that the OP wasn't happy with the service- I've always given them an A+

Guest GreyKatie

Actually, you do. I believe the op was there to have Nite donate blood- little bit of a different situation.

Usually, you see a senior student first then, the resident, surgeon etc... I always saw the Dr(s) and everything was always gone over with me very thoughly. The discharge papers have always been accurate and explained to me in detail. I'm actually surprised to read that the OP wasn't happy with the service- I've always given them an A+

We have always had great experiences at OSU; this is the only time we've left dissatisfied. They did an excellent job when we had a foster bite another foster (emergency surgery), when Nite bit off our other dog's ear (accident, more surgery), and when our other dog ruptured a ligament between his toes. I've never used them for anything but emergency services, so perhaps a real appointment would be different.

Every time we've gone in, we check in, we wait, we go into a room with the vet/student and the dog, we describe the history, and then they take the dog back to be examined. We either wait in the waiting room or go home (we live a few miles away, and these things can take a REALLY long time, as in we took our Kelpie in at 6 p.m. when his ear was bitten off, and we didn't finally hear back until about 3 a.m. as to what they were planning to do). Then they tell us their plan, either in person or over the phone (if it's in person, the dog is not present). When we go to pick the dog up, we check in, we wait, we are called into a room, the vet/student goes over things, and then finally the dog is brought out.

At this last visit, during the history portion, I tried to point out to the vet what I was talking about, but she didn't even look up while she was writing the history. I am not great at speaking up, or I would've told her, "at least look at what I'm trying to tell you!"

Can you video the limp? At least you could show that to them when no one believes you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest GreyKatie

Can you video the limp? At least you could show that to them when no one believes you.

We are going to do that this evening in preparation for tomorrow's appointment.

Katie,

Cristina will hull corns at no charge during the blood donation visit. She is actually very good at recognizing them. Did you ask her about this or was the blood donation before you thought it could be corns? As others have said, it is very possible the corn hasn't emerged yet. I believe that they can't be removed by hulling until they emerge. If you see a corn, she will probably see him and hull it at no charge as long as you and she schedule it as a "blood donation" visit.

Being a worrier and with my experience with Joe getting osteo just after his 7th birthday, I would probably have his front leg/shoulder area x-rayed. I think Rascal Unit in Dublin has a digital machine and their prices are much cheaper (The visit charge is much cheaper, the x-ray is a bit cheaper). It is easiest to talk to someone to make an appointment if you call them after normal hours --i.e. 7 pm to 10:30 pm. They are now open 24/7. Their front desk staff does go home about 11 pm though. Be sure to double check about the digital machine when you make the appointment. Well visits are $10 and sick visits are $25. Add $15 if you come in on an emergency (no appointment) basis.

E-mail it to Dr. Couto's team or to Cristina.

As you found out, it is amazing that the "regular" vets at OSU don't know corns. You would think they would learn it by osmosis with the Greyhound program being there.

Jane

Has an Xray of the foot been done? Nube started limping, then his whole foot swelled (which I don't think has happened to Nite) -- long story, but there is something in his left back foot, between the outside and next toe. No idea what. We opted to try cold laser treatment (I thought it was a gag, at first, really!) -- but he is 100% fine, no more swelling, limping, NOTHING. (pay no attention that Larry bit him yesterday on the RIGHT flank, stitches, and he tore up that same damn toe, the outside one on the left foot, this afternoon, running around like a mad man!).

just some random thoughts... sending hugs and prayers!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest GreyKatie

Update: went to OSU orthopedics today. Three corns removed. He is home and MUCH happier! He has holes in his pads, but from what I understand, they'll clear up quickly.

Now we're on to managing/preventing corns. Not fun, but at least we have a dx now!

Thanks to all for your advice. Sometimes I feel like I don't know anything about greyhounds :)

I'm so concerned about not being able to see corns. You couldn't tell!

I'm worried about not being able to tell either. Kasey has been a bit sluggish on walks lately. He has bare spots on his pads (just looks worn) no corn. I am chaulking it up to getting old, but if it's a corn???..... UGH! How was the vet able to tell?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest GreyKatie

I'm worried about not being able to tell either. Kasey has been a bit sluggish on walks lately. He has bare spots on his pads (just looks worn) no corn. I am chaulking it up to getting old, but if it's a corn???..... UGH! How was the vet able to tell?

As per usual at OSU, they took Nite back to examine him, so they didn't come point out the corns to us. We figured it out two ways: first, we noticed that the affected pads were very hard and rough. Then we gently squeezed each pad by putting a thumb and finger on each side and pinching together. When we did this to normal pads we got no response. When we did it to corn pads, he pulled the foot back. Applying pressure (as if he were standing) didn't elicit a response.

We saw what seemed like a round outline of each corn, but it came and went (sometimes we'd see it; sometimes we wouldn't). Wetting the pad made it more noticeable.

I hope you're able to figure it out. I had two vets tell me I was crazy before finally getting it sorted.

Poor Nite! And when did he bite Cal's ear? I hope they weren't fighting over that dragon stuffy I bought them! ;)

I'm glad you figured out what was wrong and got it dealt with. Summit went through an incident about 2 months back (just before Christmas) where he went suddenly very lame, particularly on cold, hard surfaces (like concrete) but was significantly less lame on the laminate surface at school. I was on orthopedic surgery at the time so I brought him in to do a full orthopedic exam. They found absolutely nothing. Thought maybe it was arthritis, although it was such an acute onset I wasn't entirely convinced. I had looked and looked for corns... nothing. I got him some Deramax and just left him alone. A few weeks later at a greyhound play date someone noticed blood in the snow. As we were all looking at our dogs' feet I found a corn on Summit's "lame" leg which he had been sound on for at least a week even without taking Deramaxx. Once the corn broke through the surface it bothered him a lot less. Then before I could decide if I was going to hull it or try duct tape or what... it disappeared on its own. Fingers crossed... so far it hasn't come back.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

As per usual at OSU, they took Nite back to examine him, so they didn't come point out the corns to us. We figured it out two ways: first, we noticed that the affected pads were very hard and rough. Then we gently squeezed each pad by putting a thumb and finger on each side and pinching together. When we did this to normal pads we got no response. When we did it to corn pads, he pulled the foot back. Applying pressure (as if he were standing) didn't elicit a response.

We saw what seemed like a round outline of each corn, but it came and went (sometimes we'd see it; sometimes we wouldn't). Wetting the pad made it more noticeable.

I hope you're able to figure it out. I had two vets tell me I was crazy before finally getting it sorted.

I will try this tonight. I did fiddle with his paws yesterday and there was no problem or response. Thanks!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest GreyKatie

Hey hey Krissy! It happened on September 19...I remember because it's my little brother's birthday. It was not two minutes after I got home from work. They were horsing around in the yard and Nite did an air snap and bam...ear gone. Cal didn't even notice. He just picked up his ball and dropped it at my feet, while blood dripped on the ground beneath us. We rushed him to OSU and I screamed and cried when they told us that it couldn't be reattached. It's Cal! And it's his ear! His ears are who he is! Now he looks like this:

a3ntzt.jpg

I apologize if this turns out enormous...I'm terrible at pics here on GT.

Glad to hear I'm not alone with the corn mysteries. Now that we know what it is, we can look for that first (and tell the first two vets to do some research because we were right!!!). Glad to hear Summit's better; I read about his pannus on your blog. One of our fosters (Wantitall Bonnie) had untreated pannus for several years before being returned. She's doing great with her daily drops now.

Edited by GreyKatie