Strange Panting

A little background, Fletcher has arthritis and it has gotten worse in the last couple of years. He's had x-rays, VF tests, exams, nothing to indicate anything other than arthritis. He is on metacam and tramadol, and milk thistle, plus Arthrisoothe Gold and Fresh Factors. This has been keeping him comfortable unless he overdoes it (he still acts like a deranged puppy instead of a senior gentleman :rolleyes:)

The weird panting is in the evening, usually around 8:30-9. He will be lying on his couch sleeping when he starts panting rapidly. It lasts a minute or two, then stops. Sometimes it happens again, sometimes not. If he wasn't male and a dog, I would swear he was having hot flashes :lol His regular vet is puzzled, and the internist I took him to last year couldn't find a cause either. I think we are going to change his pain medication, and I am going to take my own advice and start him on acupuncture. Anyone seen anything like this? Why would arthritis pain flare when he lying there asleep?

He takes thyroid medicine, dosage was recently changed, but this was going on before the change, and has continued after.

I don't want to medicate him more than necessary, but I don't want him to be in pain, either.

A little background, Fletcher has arthritis and it has gotten worse in the last couple of years. He's had x-rays, VF tests, exams, nothing to indicate anything other than arthritis. He is on metacam and tramadol, and milk thistle, plus Arthrisoothe Gold and Fresh Factors. This has been keeping him comfortable unless he overdoes it (he still acts like a deranged puppy instead of a senior gentleman :rolleyes:)

The weird panting is in the evening, usually around 8:30-9. He will be lying on his couch sleeping when he starts panting rapidly. It lasts a minute or two, then stops. Sometimes it happens again, sometimes not. If he wasn't male and a dog, I would swear he was having hot flashes :lol His regular vet is puzzled, and the internist I took him to last year couldn't find a cause either. I think we are going to change his pain medication, and I am going to take my own advice and start him on acupuncture. Anyone seen anything like this? Why would arthritis pain flare when he lying there asleep?

He takes thyroid medicine, dosage was recently changed, but this was going on before the change, and has continued after.

I don't want to medicate him more than necessary, but I don't want him to be in pain, either.

I would re-evaluate his thyroid. Could be he truly doesn't need supplementation.

Is that timing anywhere near the Tramadol dose?

I notice George gets a little grumpy on Tramadol nights.

As a regular taker of it myself (also for arthritis--waiting for a hip replacement) it does not make me feel grumpy, but it does something to George.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

His thyroid was originally diagnosed with a full panel 3-4 yrs ago. The dose was recently adjusted, but the strange panting started before the adjustment, and hasn't changed since he's been on the new dose, so I doubt it's that, but i will bring it up with my vet (she is grey-savy).

I guess it could be the tramadol, but wouldn't the effect start sooner? This is a good three hours after he gets his tramadol. I will bring this up as well.

You may want to check how he is sleeping on his couch before this happens - is he sleeping on a particular side, is his throat really stretched out, is he curled up, is his nose against the pillows, is his head buried in the pillows ....

I'm sorta maybe thinking something like a sleep apnea ... maybe he is sleeping in a way that is briefly obstructing his airway and then he wakes abruptly and is panting to get more air.

I say the tramadol. My two bridge kids did the same on Tramadol. It can also make them a bit jumpy and grumpy. I have taken it and it makes me very nervous.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Could be sleep apnea-type thing, but this only happens in the evening and being a greyhound, you know he sleeps all day :lol

I was suspicious of the tramadol too, but if it gets bad, doesn't stop or keeps happening, I give him another tramadol, and that takes care of the panting for the evening. So, if the tramadol was the problem, wouldn't it get worse after another one?

I have a call into my vet, we'll see what she says. I think she will change the meds.